BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

Post by topwater »

Good progress , its a lot of fun isn't it :)
Novi 23 finally launched !

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Progressing steadily!

All molds are cut out. bottom and side panels marked and ready to cut. Given that I have increased the dimensions by 10%, I spend a bit of time just sitting an thinking about things and checking calculations and measurements - have picked up a couple of mistakes before it was too late.

Have had my first adventure with epoxy!

I decided to use West System epoxy because it appears to be well regarded for this sort of work and is readily available in this part of the world - but not in my town, apparently! I visited the local supplier who is listed as a agent only to find they had only 2 L on hand - "Its on order"! Isn't that always the way! I will source it in a larger quantity from down south.

Was interested to see that they were selling wood flour for 4 x what I paid for a bulk order direct from the manufacturer.

I figured that 2L was enough to make a start on laminating the transom - my first serious deal with epoxy!

I had gone with "slow" hardener, as temps are around 30oC here at the moment. All was proceeding nicely until a moment of panic came when I noticed that the roller I had used to coat the ply with straight epoxy had started to smoke, when I was busy spreading epoxy/woodflour glue. Fortunately the epoxy and glue on the transom was still wet (I guess being spread out over a large area helps), and the lamination appears to have been successful. I did another layer in the evening when things had cooled down a bit and had no more smoking rollers.

I think I will need to experiment with "extra slow" hardener before attempting any big glassing jobs.

I am happy with my progress and feeling pretty confident about this build - at the moment anyway.

If you are wondering about all the bottled water - we live in a cyclone (= hurricane) zone (!), so we keep a good supply of bottled water in our "cyclone kit".

Makes good weights for laminating!
Last edited by BarraMan on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

BarraMan wrote:
I think I will need to experiment with "extra slow" hardener before attempting any big glassing jobs.

I think you will like that better, for my main build I imported the Silvertip from Bateau, but I use a lot of west also with hardeners from fast to extra slow,I used the extra slow the most and worked very good for me, we have almost the some working temperatures, don't know about the humidity :doh:

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Peter, humidity here ranges from about 70 - 90% at the moment.

Just curious, given the temp, for what sort of applications did you use fast hardener?

Cheers

Lee

peter_au18
New Poster
New Poster

Post by peter_au18 »

Gday Barraman, i live in the Ville and would love to have a look at the Mangusta as it comes along.

Its one hull that I have allways loved. I opted to rebuild a Haines Hunter 1600 so using all of the tips and tricks from this site and Epoxy resin.

Made for a strong floor and Transom!

cheers
Good luck with the heat

Peter

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

BarraMan wrote:Peter, humidity here ranges from about 70 - 90% at the moment.

Just curious, given the temp, for what sort of applications did you use fast hardener?

Cheers

Lee
Humidity over here is between 75 and 80 %, I used fast hardener for small jobs I wanted to finish the same day, like filling holes.

JayJayMuller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JayJayMuller »

Hi Barraman,

When I first found this site I also looked at the Mangusta 21, but decided on the OB19, i have recently start my build and will follow your build closely, it will be interesting to see another Mangusta coming together.

Good luck with your build.

JJ.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

JayJayMuller wrote:Hi Barraman,
When I first found this site I also looked at the Mangusta 21, but decided on the OB19, i have recently start my build and will follow your build closely, it will be interesting to see another Mangusta coming together.
Good luck with your build.
JJ.
As far as I have been able to determine there have only been two Mangusta 20s built. Don't know why that is - its a great looking hull IMO.

This build is only Mangusta up to the sheer (hope I have my terminologies correct) - it will have flat decks front and back and be fitted out like a bass boat.

I was attracted to the 18o dead-rise at the transom and the size of the boat (then "supersized" it by 10%) because I want to explore some of the more remote Barra fishing locations available to me in north Qld.

So far at least, I am really happy with my decision to do this - its gonna be really interesting!

Oh yeah - and I have always wanted to build a boat so this will be one thing crossed off my bucket-list!

I have worked for 40 years mainly with my head, but I have always been pretty good with my hands so this project is really enjoyable and satisfying for me.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

BarraMan wrote:
As far as I have been able to determine there have only been two Mangusta 20s built.
Not sure but I think you're way off with that statement :roll:

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

peter-curacao wrote:
BarraMan wrote:
As far as I have been able to determine there have only been two Mangusta 20s built.
Not sure but I think you're way off with that statement :roll:
???

So Peter, are you suggesting there are more, or in fact only one?

The "fmiles" Mangusta build is well documented, and I thought I saw a hint of another - by "badwater"' maybe".

The Mangusta 20 appears to have been conceived in 2002 - that's all I can find.