BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JayJayMuller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

Post by JayJayMuller »

Nice Build!!!!!

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

Glassed the transom today - two layers of 12oz biax.

Tried something new - for me. Up till today I have always rolled some straight epoxy on the surface to be glassed prior to putting the glass cloth down and wetting it out. For the 2nd layer of biax cloth on the transom I tried wetting out through the cloth. Worked out well!

Gives me confidence to attack the next BIG step - glassing the bottom and sides.

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

Beautiful 'glass work 8)

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Thanks!

I think the biggest challenge for someone with good basic woodworking skills building one of these boats is coming to grips with epoxy and glassing. Its been a steep learning curve for me but has worked out pretty well - no major disasters so far.

I am a little apprehensive about glassing the bottom and sides because of the scale of the task and the fact that I am working basically solo, with my wife mixing for me.

Cheers

Lee

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Lee, you will do great. I wish I had had an extra hand to mix epoxy when I was glassing mine. That transom looks great! You got the hang of this fiberglass and epoxy. Check Larry's GF18, he had all his resin and hardner premeasured and laid out in different color cups. Smart way to prevent a major screw up!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

antoniekruger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by antoniekruger »

Hi Lee, that looks good, mate. :D
The bottom and sides are not as daunting as it seems. :D I fitted all the cloth lengths dry and numbered them. I checked the overlaps as per schedule. Layed out your first cloth, mixed a pot and it was game on. :D
I used a roller to spread the epoxy, and the a squeegee to work it through - especially on the vertical pieces. On the horizontal pieces I poured the epoxy and worked it through with the squeegee.
I found peelply helped a lot with the chemical cleaning of a layup. Once the blush has migrated through the peelply and it comes off with it, the surface is ready for the next layup(You can feel it when you run your hand over - does not feel waxy in the least).
Very neat build, well done. Oh, agreed - the extra hand to help mix is a big help.
Antonie
CC14 splashed
CS23 almost there

Matte
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matte »

Lee : looking at that job, no worries about the rest of the hull!

To state the obviouse, be a bit carefull with the peel, take a bit of time to get it straight! (treated nice, its magic stuff) I created one hell of a rod for my own back with a really bad application of the peel ply, styill filling and sanding my way out of that one :lol:
Building a FL26 in a dirt floor tractor shed

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Having s couple of big strong sons home for the weekend seemed like a good opportunity to pull the boat out of the garage and give it a good all-over sanding prior to glassing the bottom and sides.! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a bit of hook in the keel at the rear of the boat that I am looking to eliminate before covering the bottom. Probably more than should be just faired out so I have put in some glass cloth "filler".

I am new to peel ply Matte, so I will have a bit of a play with it before committing to the real thing. All part of climbing the learning curve! :D

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

The hull looks great in the sunshine 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Dang that boat is big!!! Looks great!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19