Page 1 of 1

JJ"S OB19 in SA

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:16 pm
by JayJayMuller
Went to buy the ply today and will hopefully have it delivered this week. :D :D :D :D

Bought a new power tool as an addition to my "workshop", Wife wasn't please that I had to cut the grocery budget. :oops:

O well I can now cut wood and have to eat less (might not be a bad idea). :lol:

Re: JJ"S OB19 in SA

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:28 pm
by Southern Gent
Jay Jay, This is the first of many purchases. Maybe these will Help. It will Save me Time. It's Safer than my Old one. Cracker Larry Said it was the Best. It was my Dads,Brothers,Uncles or Neighbor's and they LOANED it to me.

Welcome aboard and Work Safe.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:04 am
by Kevin.G
Hey JJ

Could you give me details of the power tool and where you got it, I think I need one!!!!!! ( Gonna have to get my wife somethine special as well).

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:09 am
by JayJayMuller
Kevin... it is a Black&Decker Zenit.

My father has one and I think it's the best money can buy. I got mine from Builders Warehouse was R700 bucks.

Southern Gent.... My wife promised she's gonna help me, she already looked at the sanders, I told her it's going to become her best friend. :lol:

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:46 am
by Kevin.G
Thanks, gonna look today!!! We are planning a family project so I will have to get everyone a tool. But I think its gonna be great!!

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:43 am
by Kevin.G
Hey there JJ
How are things? Went to builders and looked at the ZENIT, its in the budget for end of the month :D . Still havnt recieved my package yet but doing a lot of research. Have you started your build yet?

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:32 am
by JayJayMuller
I have started to mark the ply for cutting, its going very slow at the moment. It is athletic season in Cape town and my weekends are mostly spend next to the filed supporting my daughter.

I spend most of my evenings in the garage marking and cutting. I will send some picks as soon as I'm done with the frames.
This weekend I need to go buy the wood for setting up the jig.

Kenin --- lot's of research is good. I did a lot before I started the build.

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:50 am
by JayJayMuller

Some day (hopefully not to far from now) this will be a boat.

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:08 pm
by Cracker Larry
You're going to need more epoxy :P

I love a fresh stack of plywood 8)

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:12 pm
by 94Virago
I'm curious to see how you intend to integrate the Teletubby. :doh:

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:37 am
by JayJayMuller
Larry - Yes I have another 2 gallons not in the pictures. I only have enough wood to build the hull and epoxy to cover the outside of the boat. (for now)
94Virago wrote:I'm curious to see how you intend to integrate the Teletubby. :doh:
Maybe I will call the boat Lala :lol:

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:59 am
by wadestep
I vote for a teletubby figurehead!
wade

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:23 pm
by 94Virago
JayJayMuller wrote:Maybe I will call the boat Lala :lol:
I'm totally holding you to that.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:30 am
by JayJayMuller
First I was just going to do this but now I think I better ask the question.

I'm planning to change the back of the boat a bit, and the idea is to give it some sort of round shape. Below is an image of the CAT22 and what I want to achieve.

I want to do the camber between the last frame and the Transom (so no modifications on the last frame needed). To get this I need to lower the height of the transom by about 10 inches. The height of the clamping boards and the motor well height will not change. Only the sides of the transom. The camber will then be on the side panels and the motor well sides. The small deck part next to the motor well, will the be bend and shaped for the curve, giving the result that I want.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:06 am
by AtTheBrink
To get input from Jacques you should post this question under "power boats". :D

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:26 am
by jacquesmm
Please do not cross post.
I responded in the other thread.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:00 pm
by AtTheBrink
:oops:

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:11 am
by JayJayMuller
Just thought I will post some pics for in case there is someone thinking that i'm "loafing" :D.

The build is not going as quick as I hope for but at least there is some progress.

The owner of the teletubbie is helping to mark the ply, so I have to check all my measurements twice. :lol: . There is a saying "check your measurements twice and cut once".

The stringers two of each...

Some frames, transom and clamping board.

If everything goes to plan, I will use up all the ply from the first order by the end of the weekend. Then it's off to the shop for more supplies. :D

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:34 am
by antoniekruger
Hi JJ,

Maak net seker jou boot pas by die garage deur uit.
Waar bly jy?

Ek is op die punt om n CS23 te begin. Ek moet eers n afdak opsit vir my vrou se kar voor ek my boot in die driveway kan begin. Ek wou haar in die garage bou maar die hull sou 100mm breer as die deur wees. Ek sou die deur frame en n paar stene moes uitbreek om die boot uit te kry.

By wie koop jy jou glasvesel en ply?

Groete
Antonie

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:55 am
by JayJayMuller
Hi Antonie,

Yes, the boat does fit in my garage, but we are moving house over Easter weekend, we are moving to a house with a double garage and a car port for a boat so I will have enough space to build after the move. :D

At the moment I live in the South of Cape Town, but moving to Muizenberg on Easter. Don't know how well you know the Western Cape, but it's part of the Peninsula.

I buy all my fiberglass and Epoxies for AMT Composites, they have branches in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban. I know the branches in Johannesburg and Cape Town does not sell the Biax tape, but the friendly staff at the Cape Town branch order from the Durban branch. The ply I get from Davidson's Boards and a local boat builder/repairer that orders containers at a time from the UK.

Welcome to the site, there are some great people on this forum to help and assist on your build whenever you need.
Good luck with your build.

JJ.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:23 am
by Batedunie
Looking good JJ....Keep up the good work....

Mike

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:59 am
by antoniekruger
Hi JJ,
I know Cape Town well. I was at the Stellenbosch uni and lived in Muizenburg and Mowbray(at the YMCA) whilst finishing the prac for my qualification at trig survey, Mowbray. Now stuck in Joburg.....Seems a lifetime ago(15+ years ago) I have family living in Bettys bay and Somerset - I see them every once in a while. If its possible, I'd like to drop by and see your build.
Cheers, Anotnie

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:06 am
by JayJayMuller
Hi Antonie,

Sure thing, you are more than welcome, let me know when you are in Cape Town, I'll put some beer in the fridge.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 pm
by Kevin.G
Hi JJ

Used to live on main road in Lakeside(MISS THE CAPE :cry: ) Beautiful world, good luck with the move.
Antonie I live in JHB, we should get together I will be starting with my OC 17 as soon as my house renovations are done.

Cheers
Kevin

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:38 am
by JayJayMuller
Hi All,

Just a quick update, I'm still settling in after the house move and my plans are still packed away in a box somewhere :( .

I have glued the stringers and the Transom, used plastic bags filled with sea sand as weight (didn't know that I'm not allowed to remove sand from beaches and almost walked away with a hefty fine :oops: ) Promises the ranger a ride in the boat. :D .
Now i'm waiting for finances to order more supplies, and reading other posts for tips and ideas.

@ Kevin, How's it going with the House renovations? I know that a project like that can take a lot of time. I moved to Marina da Gama, coming from Lakeside you should know where it is. Pop in for a beer when you are visiting the Cape. Have you started your build yet?

JJ.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:10 am
by antoniekruger
Kevin.G wrote:Hi JJ

Used to live on main road in Lakeside(MISS THE CAPE :cry: ) Beautiful world, good luck with the move.
Antonie I live in JHB, we should get together I will be starting with my OC 17 as soon as my house renovations are done.

Cheers
Kevin
Hi Kevin. Good to 'meet' you. Personally, I dont think home renovations EVER finishes 8O . We bought a spot in Benoni around 5 years ago. Worked on it for 2 years just to keep the roof up....and then the rest. Between the wife's random room color requirements and my son's crikcet net and trampoline and and and I finally decided to start handing over the maintenance responsability to the wife and build a boat. It never seem to end. I'm still on the coach at night :lol: , but the build is on. Slow, but on. :D Sure, a get together would be good. I'm in Benoni area. JJ, we'll keep a cold one for you as well, if you can make it. :D

Cheers

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:37 pm
by AMC
94Virago wrote:I'm curious to see how you intend to integrate the Teletubby. :doh:
Might I suggest as part of the under deck flotation?

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:54 pm
by Kevin.G
Hi JJ
sorry been soo long but been hectic here by me :roll: Have not started my build yet and its very frustrating :( but will get there!! Had to ask the yard to store my ply as I don't have undercover space at the moment. Marina is also a nice area, hope you guys are happy there. Your build is coming on, keep it up and us Gautengers will be down for that beer at the launch.
Cheers
Kev

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 am
by JayJayMuller
AMC wrote:
Might I suggest as part of the under deck flotation?
Can I rather use Barnie...... but the real one.

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:42 pm
by WobblyLegs
Hey JJ, good to meet you today and share a beer over a boat - next time stop for longer and we'll light a fire and cook some meat.

Let's keep in touch, and get that boat of your's on the water!

Regards,

Tim.

PS, my man won the bike race today!! ;)

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:06 pm
by antoniekruger
Howzit fellas, trust all is well. JJ, any build progress?

Tim, anything new on the block?

Cheers, guys.

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:29 am
by JayJayMuller
WobblyLegs wrote:Hey JJ, good to meet you today and share a beer over a boat - next time stop for longer and we'll light a fire and cook some meat.

Let's keep in touch, and get that boat of your's on the water!

Regards,

Tim.

PS, my man won the bike race today!! ;)
Nothing like seeing a real life Bateau boat, to get back in the mood.
Your boat is really amazing nice work. Thanks for all the tips and ideas, i'm all for lighting a fire and cook some meat. (soon).

@Antonie - No further progress on the boat, I' am saving up to buy some supplies but won't be to long now. Like said after seeing Tim's build, I am really eager to get back in and continue with the build. How's your build doing, and what is the link to your build.

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:47 pm
by antoniekruger