GV17 Construction Started!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
NorCalBob
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NorCalBob »

I got it at a local plastics store called TAP Plastics. They have a web page: http://www.tapplastics.com/ but those squeegees aren't on it. I got them at the Auburn Blvd. store in Sacramento (Phone: 916.481.7584
Fax: 916.481.3036); maybe if you faxed them the picture, they could do a phone order. I couldn't find a brand name on the squeegee itself.
Building: GV17 Built: D15

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

thanks..

I was hoping you would of said, i could pick one up at HD, a paint store,
an automotive store, etc... because a specfic trade uses them for ????.

NorCalBob
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NorCalBob »

Finally back to work on the GV17. Primed the exterior today with S3 primer, using an HVLP sprayer. Ended up being a few spots (weave) that show through the primer. I'll try QuickFair over the primer, then sand and spot prime. Not sure how long it will be before I can sand and top coat, but hopefully I can flip it by New Years.

Pictures to follow when there's something to see!

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Lookin' good! :D

Thanks for the really useful tips on applying the biax and epoxy - I'm on holiday with family in Queensland for Christmas, but am all set to start on my FL14 when I get home in early January. :P

BTW, I picked up a metal roller at a marine fibreglass store in Canberra - unlike the 'multiple-washer' type, this one has a series of straight edges set along the LENGTH of the roller. I figure it should act like a metal 'squeegee', so I'll give it a try.
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

bobk321
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Your GV 17 Good Job!

Post by bobk321 »

Great job! I going to be starting the GV 15 shortly. The plans where mailed out today. I hope my GV 15 turn out as good as yours did. I may need a few pointers if you dont mind. Thanks for sharing your photos.

NorCalBob
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Your GV 17 Good Job!

Post by NorCalBob »

bobk321 wrote:Great job! I going to be starting the GV 15 shortly. The plans where mailed out today. I hope my GV 15 turn out as good as yours did. I may need a few pointers if you dont mind. Thanks for sharing your photos.
Thanks for the kind words. At the rate I'm going, you'll probably be done ahead of me, and I'll be asking for pointers! There's an insane amount of boatbuilding know-how on these message boards. The hard part is to pull yourself away long enough to actually build a boat! Have fun!

NorCalBob
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NorCalBob »

New pics in my gallery of me single-handedly unloading my outboard (well, you don't actually see me...). The engine hoist rental was less than beer and pizza :P

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... m=39&pos=7

nordmann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nordmann »

NorCalBob wrote:New pics in my gallery of me single-handedly unloading my outboard (well, you don't actually see me...). The engine hoist rental was less than beer and pizza :P

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... m=39&pos=7

Hi

:P Ready for some splashing this summer?
building gv17, D4

NorCalBob
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NorCalBob »

I hope so. I've given up making predictions, since as soon as I think I'm getting on a roll, something comes up to derail me! I'm starting to feel like one of those guys who's been building a boat in the basement for as long as anyone can remember. At least I know my door's big enough to get the boat out. How's yours coming?

nordmann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nordmann »

NorCalBob wrote:I hope so. I've given up making predictions,
Well, you are not the only one.. :) I have used much longer time than I planned too, but it's ok.. Sooner or later she will be finished. Whats left for me, is the deck, gunwales, console and the paintjob.. Congratulations with your new engine. If I had a new optimax today I would store it in my bedroom.. :D
Don't be surprised if you splash your gv before me! :) BTW which layout for the interior do you choose?
building gv17, D4