Runabout, powered by PWC

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: Runabout, powered by PWC

Post by ks8 »

Peter,

I think maybe there is nothing wrong with the pictured jetski. It was likely simply the cheapest way to get the innards and gauges, instead of sourcing and buying those assemblies separately. I'm guessing the possibility of a design fitted to this sort of drive has been kicked around before, and it is now its time. :)

I'm interested to see the sort of rudder that gets fitted to this runabout, so there is some directional control even if the power is intentionally or unintentionally cut.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Okay thanks ks8 that makes sense 8)

Maybe they place the yet nozzle fixed with a rudder behind it? :doh:

Heloman78
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Heloman78 »

Compare the cost of a good used Jet Ski to a new 40hp motor. Sort of apples and oranges but when you don't have an unlimited budget this option could be a good one. Sure would feel funny though to make that first cut on a perfectly good ski, I'd probably film it and laugh about it for years.

jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jorgepease »

I'd love to see the design applied to the cat hull and stick one jet in each hull :)

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

Fellows, I saw this posting on Craigs List Nashville TN. , Bill

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/3532566289.html

CL > nashville > all for sale / wanted > boats - by owner Reply Reply to:
best of River Jet Boat, Jetjon - $900 (nashville)
This is a project that I hate to part with, but my wife wants to park her car in the garage this winter and says I have too many boats.

What I have is a fiberglass 12/58 Monarch hull with a 1993 Yamaha WaveRunner III engine and jet pump. This project was inspired by a guy I met on the Caney fork who was buzzing up the shoals and riffles effortlessly while I walked my gheenoe.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

There was a guy here on this forum that converted a bateau design to run with an old jetski motor. He did much as.Jacques and Joel are doing, using part of the jetski hull and welding it in place. If I remember right it was kind of a rush/quicky job that didn't turn out so well. I am anxious to see this build and what they learn from it. It would be cool to incorporate this in a flats boat/poling skiff like the FS-18 or similar boat.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

topwater

Post by topwater »

There is another builder in the Chicago area that was using a jet ski pump in one of the new
runabout designs , he was posting pic's and if I remember right he had just finished putting
the jet pump in the hull . I think he also had a thread . Been awhile since any posts and cant
remember the name or title . Okay I found it in a search RB 14 with jet drive is the thread.
Coryd is the album.
Novi 23 finally launched !

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Just curious why not just buy replacements parts instead of chopping up that ski, is it cheaper ? yeah yeah I know the less jet ski's the better :P
It would cost a lot more than a brand new jetski, I started looking at component prices and it added up quickly
hought about a jetski modified for fishing on the flats, but was told the sand and grass would ruin the impeller very quickly. Is this going to be for open waters? Lakes?
I would not use one for flats fishing unless it was only for running in deeper water, from one flat to another, at high speed. then you would want a trolling motor with plenty of battery capacity

'
m interested to see the sort of rudder that gets fitted to this runabout, so there is some directional control even if the power is intentionally or unintentionally cut.
Using the steering from the jetpump nozzle. Im sure the hull will have some aggressive strakes/runners for a good bite

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Removed top of jetski and started to gut it. They really put these things together 8O All bedded with methacrylate, no screws, no way to save the hull. At this point we can get good measurements on the engine/drive in order to proceed with the runabout design. Exhaust and all disconnected, plan to lift engine out today or tomorrow.

labeled everything and took a lot of pictures for future reference

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Since y'all can't save the hull are you going to design something new, copy it, or use the jetski hull as a mold?
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19