Snookiehunter's gf18 w/ tunnel

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Snookiehunter's gf18 w/ tunnel

Post by snookiehunter »

Okay, I got some work done today. I double taped the tunnel seams, it's done. My brother in law came by to flip the hull, and I rounded all of the corners on the outside. I was going to wait, but I went to buy a router. This made things go a little quicker, especially on the tunnel, with square sides. On the hull, I had to spend a good amount of quallity time with my new ro. I haven't used these sanders before, but I'm going to venture to say that the Diablo brand papers, are good quallity sanding discs. I used two, and the second is still pretty sharp.

I wish I would have built the cart 15' long, so the boat could have sit down on the molds. I had to block it up with 4 bys, for everything to clear.

I really like this one. This is my nephew, Aidyn. He sure makes the boat look big!
Next weekend, I will fill the stitch holes, tape the seams, and glass the outside, all wet on wet. So far, I've used just over 1.5 gallons of epoxy.
I'm a little nervous about laying the 50" wide glass. I'm mixing 12 oz batches, and they are getting pretty warm before I can use it, with slow hardner. That is laying two layers, which seems to take longer. I am puting a lot of effort into pulling any excess epoxy out of the glass. I think it will go well, with Jena's help. She's better at it than I am. I plan on laying the glass down dry, then wet it out with a roller.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

No need to worry about your epoxy kicking off while laying the glass. You will be dumping the whole batch on the bottom then rolling and squeegeeing it our thin. It goes quick! Everything is looking great! I like seeing a motivated builder!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Ditto about the kick off. I would go straight to the spreader . It will go quick and give plenty of time before set up. It helps to have a good mixer prepare the batches as you use them. One other thing I would add it to mix up a slurry of wood flour and epoxy and fill the weave of the tape this will help you with air entrapment under glass. I almost forgot a good aluminum roller to get all the air out of the cloth. I say aluminum because if you forget to clean it just heat it with a torch and wire brush cured epoxy off. Good luck and BUILD ON!
Dave

snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by snookiehunter »

Thanks Mike, and Dave, for the encouragement. I'm more nervous about all of the overlaping layers on the vertical surfaces, and air bubbles. I had a hard time with air on the tunnel layers. It seems as though the more glass layers that you have, the worse the bubbles get. And when I see an air bubble, I invision the whole thing just falling apart on splash day.

Good advice on the laminating roller, I'll pick one up. And as for cleaning tools, I haven't cleaned anything. I've just let the epoxy harden, then peel it off. Do I use acetone, and a shop rag, to clean the aluminum roller? I may use the thickened epoxy weave fill method also.

My other concern has been cutting the hole for the tunnel. It dosn't matter how many times I measure. I still am nervous when the blade hits the wood.

On a side note, a couple of thoughts.
1. Hats off to you fellas who can build anything in a one car garage!
2. I'm 31 years old, and a pretty hard worker. I am sore as hell! There, I said it.
3. BBV is a real thing. I cant help it. This boat consumes my every thought. I think the only cure would be to run out of room to store all of your boats, or funds to build them.
4. I've had two people stop, and stick their head in my garage, and wanna talk to me about the boat. I enjoy their intrest, but I'm trying to build a boat here! All kidding aside, they are impressed, and maybe I'll meet some new friends.
5. Thank you to all, for your support. I would not attempt this project without it. I feel more confident knowing that you gentlemen will guide us newbies in the right direction.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Do I use acetone, and a shop rag, to clean the aluminum roller?
Use white vinegar instead. It will remove uncured epoxy from tools and hands, and is much safer than acetone. Cheaper too.

The best tool I've found to spread epoxy on large areas is a wide blade drywall knife, works much better than a roller.
2. I'm 31 years old, and a pretty hard worker. I am sore as hell!
Wait until you get to be 60 :help: :lol:
3. BBV is a real thing. I cant help it. This boat consumes my every thought. I think the only cure would be to run out of room to store all of your boats, or funds to build them.
It's real for sure! When I ran out of room and funds, I just started building them for other people with their funds :D

Don't fret over cutting that hole. You can fix anything with epoxy :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Your boat is looking good. You are doing a great job. Ditto what CL said about white vinegar and being doubly sore and slower when you get 60. I'm there now and with just the little bit of work I'm doing on mine now(built it in 2004 and 5). Age really makes a difference. Cl if I remember correctly, You still have a couple of yrs. to 60. Let me know when that day is and I will try to come up and see you. :doh: :D

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Cl if I remember correctly, You still have a couple of yrs. to 60. Let me know when that day is and I will try to come up and see you. :doh:
I wish, John. It's only 23 days away. May 9 :help:
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Well that shoots down my visit! I have to be at work that day. Will try to make it next year. John

snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by snookiehunter »

Hey, Cracker Larry, you started your latest, yet?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

The plywood, epoxy and glass are on the way :D