Mikem59 FS18 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Mikem59 FS18 Build

Post by TomW1 »

Do you have some prop numbers I would like to know how the SRT3 11 pitch is doing for you. Top rpm's, etc. At 9.5 inch diameter you can go to the 11 pitch. How high have you been able to raise it up with your jack plate. How is your ventilation on turns. This is why I don't always go with the techs at PowerTech, our boats are much lighter than most and we can be more aggressive with our propellers. Thus my 10 x 10 was based on the weight of your FS18. I have talked to some of Techs at PowerTech and we always come up with the same props or alternatives when we take into account the weight factor, after a little bantering back and forth. :lol: There props are top notch.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Rollbar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rollbar »

Just a FYI~IMHO. Get extra cup and it will really help. I use a 4blade no cup which is about the same for me, but a 3 blade extra cup is sweet.

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Always good luck when the wife catches fish on the first trip :D

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

TomW1,

The SRT3 performed quite well. The hole shot is not as pronounced, but this FS18 hull gets on plane so quick I'm not worried at all. Already had to make a couple shallow water starts.

I'm definitely not hitting the rev limiter with the SRT3, but it seems to be in the proper operating range, I'm guessing I'm around 5900 to 6000 rpm. And, I did gain 3 mph. At WOT, I'm hitting 27 now. I'm pleased with the performance but have a couple of really good local folks that do prop work, may want to squeeze a little more out of her.

As for the Jack Plate, I've had her dang near all the way up with no cavitation issues. I'll need to take note of performance in the turns. And, get you more details on just how high the cavitation plate is when it's jacked all the way up.

As some of you here state as well as some others, adding some cup may be the ticket to really get the performance I'd like.

And, TomW1, thanks for the help, and the Powertech folks were very helpful but like you state, perhaps a bit conservative when the bumped me down to the SRT3.

Mike

Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Newt »

I've never had a SS prop with out cup.

Newt
ALLIGATOR LAKE

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Hope you all don't mind posting a couple of pics showing the rub rail installed. I meant to post awhile back and had issues. And, currently, laid up recovering from knee surgery, so have some time on my hands. I installed a Taco rub rail. Picking a hot day and laying the rub rail on the concrete driveway made the install quite easy. Easy enough my wife was able to help with the install. Rub rail sure makes a nice addition and protects the underlying marine ply.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

That looks good! :D

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Thanks Eric. I was pleased with how it looked once on. Certainly gave it more of the look of the production boats.