A Cracker Built GF18- Finished 6/28/15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: A Cracker Built GF18

Post by Cracker Larry »

Your boat's looking very good. I'm waiting patiently for your fairing pictures tomorrow.
Thanks! Just for you I brought out the good camera and took some pictures of that. I don't do it often, the cell phone is much easier to upload from :D

These are after 3 rounds of applying filler and sanding. The camera is on macro mode and focused close in most pictures.

See the shiny spots in this weave? Shiny spots are low and need filling. If we sanded down to them, we would remove too much cloth, Need the cloth! You can't even feel these with your finger, but if you paint over it, it will look like you painted over a burlap sack. A few coats of high build primer would probably fix it. I'd rather spot fair it.

Same here in the weave and on the tape edge, can't sand the tape down, have to fill it. Shiny spots are low.

These are tiny pinholes, filled with sanding dust. They would probably show through the primer. Have to blow or wash the dust out and fill them.

Low spot along chine tape. Again, you can't even feel it, but glossy paint will make it show. Primer would fill it, eventually. So will Quick Fair :D

Same here. Everything should be the same dusty dull uniform look. No shiny spots. Primer would fill these too.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I submitted before I was finished. Sort of like fairing :lol: :lol:

Tiny divot and some more pin holes on this tape edge. Need to fill that, primer won't fix that hole. Always resist the urge to fix a divot by tilting the sander and working that spot. You'll just make a deeper divot. Fill it now :wink:

This is how it should look. No shiny spots, no holes, everything the same dull look...

"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Larry,
Many thanks for that last teaching moment. I now understand what you have been talking about all these years and was too dense to understand without seeing it. I tend toward being a visual learner. I now understand pin hole. I thought that it was very small and would have to look very close to see. Close, but not with a magnifying glass!!! Once again, you teach so well and give us something to work toward with our builds.

Keep on TEACHING!!

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jorgepease »

Second that, I will be fairing soon, good to see what it should look like!

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Keep on TEACHING!!
Thanks Robbie, they say that those who can, do, and those who can't, teach. Today, I couldn't do, might as well teach :lol: Didn't want to pick up a sander, didn't want to mix and spread fairing, didn't want to do much of anything that involved muscle movement :lol: It was time to walk away from it for a day or 2 8)

garym
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by garym »

Thanks for taking the time to post daily updates and explaining what you're doing.
This all would of come in real handy 9 months ago. I'm about about 85.87234% sure my boat wont leak :D

Badda Bing

garym
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by garym »

Thanks for taking the time to post daily updates and explaining what you're doing.
This all would of come in real handy 9 months ago. I'm about about 85.87234% sure my boat wont leak :D

Badda Bing

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks CL. Hadn't realised that the deveil was so much in the detail.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by snookiehunter »

Yes, thanks for taking the time to show the far less experienced. A good picture is worth so many words.
Try and fill with primer is exactly what I did. I expected too much from the high build primer, and was trying to save the quickfair. "Ah, the primer'll fill it", I thought. Nope.
So tell us this, when do you put down the long board, and pick up the ro?

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Larry,
In my experience, the best teachers are those who can do it and enjoy showing others that it can be done by their own two little grubby hands. Whether these teachers were farmers, musicians, boat builders, etc. they had a passion for showing others and seeing the students results and the interest they stirred in them.
I have really enjoyed your builds and seeing how you sequence things. In time I will learn some of those skills 8O :roll: :D

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand