A Cracker Built GF18- Finished 6/28/15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: A Cracker Built GF18

Post by Dougster »

I've been living in the country for 11 years now, and sure do love it. Been out of town for a week and haven't kept up well. I could read the forum but forgot the password and couldn't log in to post. Anyway, I was saddened to hear of your mother's illness and have been wishing the best for your family.

Knows hospital duty is tough Dougster

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser »

Scent-A-Way (http://www.hunterspec.com/content/scent ... onditioner) works for removing skunk odor. My parent's dog likes to get sprayed at least once a year.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Thanks Doug, appreciate ya :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Geez, it's been too hot for words to describe :help: Hard to keep moving, but still moving forward slowly. Got the rub rails across the bow transom cut out and installed. Drilled out the screw holes all around and plugged them with short lengths of mahogany dowels. Cut 30 plugs, saturated them with epoxy, primed the holes with epoxy, dipped the plugs in glue and drove them in.

Let them cure then cut off the plugs almost flush, sanded them flush and gave the rails a coat of epoxy.

Let that cure, sanded it all again, did a little more filling and gave it another coat of epoxy...

Time to strip out the framing now and start glassing the inside. Sure hope it cools off a little bit, it's a lot of glass to wet out when it's 100 degrees.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

topwater

Post by topwater »

Nice job Larry , how come you did not use the ipe and went with mahogany :?:
Novi 23 finally launched !

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Thanks John. We are going to put a strip of ipe over the mahogany and flush with the deck edge. That won't be installed until after the deck goes on.

Rogerdog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rogerdog »

The eyebrow curve up front looks nice.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Looking good Larry. :D Thanks for mentioning dowels! That reminded me to pick some up today! I like the way you did the rubrail, are going to install a rubber rub rail as well? If so, what size are you going with?

It is Insanely HOT over here too... :help:
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Progress is slow this week, heat has been awful and still doing Mom duty, but still moving forward and Mom is doing better.
The eyebrow curve up front looks nice.
I'm glad you like it :D Still needs a little more shaping up but I think it looks good. After 2 coats of epoxy we pulled the tape and paper all around. If the tape sits too long in this heat it will melt and be a mess to remove. Cane is an enthusiastic paper puller :lol: You can tell better how it looks with the paper off.

I made 3 cross braces to maintain the hull shape while removing the frames and glassing the inside. Just 2X4's cut to length and angles, with 1X2's that lap the rub rail on both sides to keep it all in place.

Cut all the interior framing out, it was tabbed in with pieces of biax tape. The Rockwell multi-tool zips them right out.

Now it needs some sanding and clean up, then time for another glassing marathon. The weekend is looking good for it. We've got a cold front passing now, raining again and it's supposed to be 15 degrees cooler for the next few days :D 85 is much better than 100 :!: Epoxy doesn't like 100 and neither do I.
I like the way you did the rubrail, are going to install a rubber rub rail as well? If so, what size are you going with?
No rubber Mike. The crash rail will be a 1X1 strip of ipe all around, and they don't call it ironwood for nothing . Anything this boat hits will probably be damaged :D

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

The build is going great, but more important, MOM is improving!! Carry on Larry,
Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand