A Cracker Built GF18- Finished 6/28/15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: A Cracker Built GF18

Post by Cracker Larry »

So much for beautiful weather :? Raining and getting colder. Still building on :D

I sanded all of the sole cleats flush, smoothed some glue globs, and then gave all the cleats another coat of epoxy.

Cut out and fitted the sole piece under the casting deck, to create a flat surface for battery mounting and storage.

Primed the underside with 2 coats of epoxy

After that cured, I drilled holes for chase tubes. Port and starboard side lights, port and starboard bow speakers, trolling motor, trolling motor charging circuit, and put in a couple of spares just in case :D Once that was settled I glassed the top side of it on the bench. It's easier doing it here than in the boat. I pieced the glass in with a couple of scraps of cloth, which is why it looks a little rough.

This is where I drilled chase tube holes in the wrong spots :oops: The tubing wouldn't make the bend. Drilled them again in the right place, Dougster style :lol: then used the cut out plugs from the hole saw to fill the wrong holes. Put a piece of duct tape on the bottom, stick the plug in the hole, pour epoxy around it and glass over it. Nobody will ever know except me and yall 8)

Settled in for the night. I've got some birds that roost every night right over the top of the motor well and leave me a pile of poop every morning. I'd been putting down paper every evening, but switched off to this plastic transom template while I had wet epoxy back there. To give you an idea of the size of this boat, the template is for the transom of an FS18.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Very nice work Cracker. When I hit the lottery I'll take a few months off work and hire you to assist me in building a nice boat. Don't worry, we'll hire out all the sanding 8)
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

If you hit the lotto we'll hire it all out :lol: I don't know how many more of these I've got left in me :help:
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Sounds good, we'll sit around drinking rum, fishing and "supervising" the build :lol: 8)
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Perfect plan :D If we could just find us a few reliable undocumented democrats willing to work for less money than I do, we could set them up with a punch list every morning, go out fishing and drinking all day, then come home in the evenings and make sure they did it right, they can clean the fish and wash the boat too :lol: But they wouldn't, and we'd have to pay for their health insurance. It would be easier and cheaper just to retire in Costa Rica and fish :D Which is what a lot of people with a little money are doing now.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Cracker Larry wrote: This is where I drilled chase tube holes in the wrong spots :oops: The tubing wouldn't make the bend. Drilled them again in the right place, Dougster style :lol: then used the cut out plugs from the hole saw to fill the wrong holes. Put a piece of duct tape on the bottom, stick the plug in the hole, pour epoxy around it and glass over it. Nobody will ever know except me and yall 8)
[/img]
Yep, you Dougstered that just fine :lol: As a technique it works, though I find it leaves me prone to head shaking and blue language. Still, it gets you down the road, in the general direction of the launch ramp. Also, I'm pretty sure a guy that's never gotten it wrong a time or two has also never built a dang boat either!

Still on board Dougster

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yep, you Dougstered that just fine :lol: As a technique it works, though I find it leaves me prone to head shaking and blue language.
Thanks :!: I've learned it's better on my blood pressure and disposition just to laugh and fix it.
I'm pretty sure a guy that's never gotten it wrong a time or two has also never built a dang boat either!
Or done much of anything else worthwhile either. If you don't make some mistakes, you just aint living and learning. The mistakes don't matter, what matters is how gracefully you recover from them. Admit them, fix them and move on a little smarter :D
Last edited by Cracker Larry on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

The news with Mrs. Cracker was not good today. Pathology report says they didn't get it all and we have to do more surgery :cry:
Larry, I just got back from an extended leave. I did not expect to see this. I hope and wish you the best to you and Dori. I know you two are as tough as it gets, but if you need anything you know how to reach me brother.

Will

PS the boat looks great. It never ceases to amazing (and embarrass) me how quickly and cleanly you work. 8)

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Will, I hope you work clean in your work too :lol:
if you need anything you know how to reach me brother
I do. Thanks my friend.

Which one of you dang Yankees left the door open up there and let out all the cold air 8O 39 degrees here this morning, too early for all that. Had to put on 3 shirts, shoes and socks this morning. I hate cold. Heck, I hate shoes too. Need to order some fast hardener, things are curing too slow for my patience. We went from summer to winter, with 4 days of fall in between :doh:

Got the casting deck sole glued in and a few other things done. Still moving forward, didn't have to back up today anyway :D

That's all for a couple of days, surgery again tomorrow :(

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Larry, Thoughts and prayers for you and Dori for tomorrow and the quick recovery afterwards!

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand