A Cracker Built GF18- Finished 6/28/15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: A Cracker Built GF18- Splashed 2-14-15

Post by Cracker Larry »

I knew he would. Yall got grit :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Steven

Post by Steven »

Seems like you guys were even after he trespassed to leave those pictures. Good on you for going over and more so for cooling off first. Good example to remind the young guys there's a time to heed our brides advice before doing what has to be done. Rarely does a pause before acting make things worse when anger and bad temper are involved.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Rarely does a pause before acting make things worse when anger and bad temper are involved.
Almost never. Think things through if you have the time. Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread. Listen to the wife, but sometimes women don't quite understand what a man has to do. Cooling off before doing it is always a good idea.

It's been raining, foggy, windy and cool for 3 straight days. Need to tape off the bottom of this boat and it's too wet for tape to stick to the floor. Still raining. Got truck stuck in my own driveway this morning. That was fun. Wettest year we've had here in 15 or more, it just keeps on raining. The good news is that the weather slows down Raymond too, so we're still on a synchronized schedule :D
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

When you make a mess out of graphite and epoxy like I did here..

It really takes some sanding and a lot of disks to clean it up, and I'm sure glad that I didn't do this to the entire sole :help: It would take a month to sand it off and 500 disks. I think I could have built a new cover board from scratch in less time than it took to fix it. But I'm stubborn :lol: Looks good enough for the chase tube cover anyway. Not good enough for the sole.

I didn't intend for the screw plugs to be black either, but black they are. If not acceptable I can drill them out a little and refill the holes. Still experimenting. Wet weather has been an issue for days. Not over yet either, but building on.
Last edited by Cracker Larry on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rogerdog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rogerdog »

That's very pretty -- and finished I think. The black in the screw holes looks neat on that panel, and there is no need to drill it out.

However, I don't think we want any of the graphite in the epoxy for the caulk lines on the floor. We don't lose a thing by making that floor a little easier.

My suggestion is to thicken the epoxy with wood flour to the consistency of peanut butter and apply it like grout. Pour/press it into the seams and work it across the seam to force it into the bottom of the seam with a putty knife. The packing tape will be a hassle to put down, but the thickened epoxy should slide right across it (again, like grout on tile), and it will save hours of sanding later. MAYBE once the seams are partially cured, cut them flush with a razor blade in one of those metal window scraper things while pulling up the tape. Let it cure and sand it flush. Maybe one more flow coat of epoxy and move on to clear coat.

If you want to give the clear coat non-skid a try, that cheese tray will be perfect.

It looks really great. :D

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I'm really liking that answer right now :D

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Sanding wood flour is easy. Sanding graphite is a bitch. And a filthy mess around white boats.

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

Late to the party - but Congrats on the splash, CL!

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Rogerdog wrote: The black in the screw holes looks neat on that panel, and there is no need to drill it out.
I have to disagree sorry :oops: I don't like it, not that you asked for it but IMHO screw holes shouldn't be visible,but if it cant be avoid it shouldn't be in a that great of a contrast 8)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I agree Peter, I don't like it either. And ya know what that means. Another cheese tray :lol: