A Cracker Built GF18- Finished 6/28/15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: A Cracker Built GF18- Splashed 2-14-15

Post by Cracker Larry »

I got a quick reply from Raymond...I wasn't far off.
Hey Larry!

The frame weighs approximately 60 lbs. I can easily lift it and set in boat myself.

Best regards,

Raymond Martin

Martin Marine Design
932 Old Charleston Hwy
Hardeeville, SC 29927

SHOP: (843) 784-6110
MOBILE: (843)368-4993
EMAIL: info@martinmarinedesign.com
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Wow, that's lighter than I expected. I know there's still stuff to be added, but built light with proper bracing I bet it's really strong.
Hank

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Why do people feel the need to run boats 100 mph in a narrow river full of floating trees? I wish they wouldn't.

Dog and I got called out on another search for a fool in the Savannah River. A friend of a friend. We had our first failure :( Witnesses said boat flipped end over end 3 times. That was Saturday afternoon. Spent some time yesterday and back in the river this morning at daylight looking. Fortunately I didn't find him, but other searchers found his carcass this morning.

Saw a lot of these..

I'm not working on any more speed boats.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

Larry... I always wondered - should I train this hound-dog of mine to be a rescue / search dog. I know it's an uphill battle but I've never in my life seen a finer nose. 25% basset, 25% blood, 50% coon. Basset legs and head, blood nose and ears, coon colors and tail. Someone's got a sense of humor...

I think I have my answer. We'll be fishin' this weekend... Not training.

Slow down. Look around. Best luck.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

You can't train a dog to smell, or to hunt. They are either born with the instinct or not. You can only train them to work with you, while you let them teach you what they can or will do. You can teach any dog to sit, stay and come. You can't teach one to hunt. Mutts often are the best dogs. That one sounds good. Let it train you.

Steven

Post by Steven »

pee wee wrote:Wow, that's lighter than I expected. I know there's still stuff to be added, but built light with proper bracing I bet it's really strong.
That's very similar to one Raymond made me. Its crazy strong. I'm 230# and can hang off it with no flex.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I've been out screwing off for a couple of days while Raymond picks up my slack. He still sucks :lol:

I've got some more wiring to do!

Raymond will be finished this weekend. Rogerdog is coming down Tuesday and we will fit the final leaning post position and foot rest height to him, then test run it in the river and decide the throttle stop location, a key locked speed limiter for kids and drunks :D

Almost at the end of this road now. Still got a little bit of elephant to chew. Only one little toe left :D

Steven

Post by Steven »

Nice. Wish I'd have gotten the zipper life vest bag.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

WOW!!! This boat is an absolute piece of art. I don't think I could own it...too afraid of scratching it :lol: Just awesome all the way around.

As an aside: CL I just saw that you have developed an epoxy allergy? Really sorry to hear that amigo. I know you, and everything will turn out just fine. Worst case scenario is that you have more time for fishing, friends, and rum :D

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Wow. If someone built a T-top like that for me, I'd let them mount a small plate on it with their business name and phone number. That work of craftsmanship is an excellent advertisement for him, and in the builder/owner decision to hire the job out to him. This country could use more of that talent and work ethic these days. The boat itself too, of course. :D

T-top by ..... 8) :D