A Cracker Built GF18- Finished 6/28/15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: A Cracker Built GF18

Post by Cracker Larry »

Not sure I follow you Peter :doh: Got a picture or drawing?
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Cracker Larry wrote:Not sure I follow you Peter :doh: Got a picture or drawing?
Larry I made you a quick sketch, sorry it's a bit messy but almost sure you will understand. I like the 76 mm frames in my boat a lot, they are elegant not bulky, the only thing is the moment you make rod holder slots in there they become flimsy :? I know this because I tried in mine, so I thought about something like this, still not executed it but maybe one day I will
When not in use you pivot the starboard (or ply) rod holders upwards out of the way

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Very interesting idea 8) I'm going to ponder on that a while. Might mock it up in cardboard. In the meantime still building...

"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Peter, the more I think about that, the more I like it. Never seen that done before, very cool. I happen to have a good friend who is a master at shaping starboard :D

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

That is a great idea with those folding rod holders. :)

Cracker your build is looking great, based on your work rate, my boat is looking to take me about 10 years to complete :(

Keep it up.

Cheers
Justin

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

nice idea. peter, have you worked out a method to hold it in place down, deployed, and hold it up out of the way? 8)

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

ks8 wrote:nice idea. peter, have you worked out a method to hold it in place down, deployed, and hold it up out of the way? 8)
Thanks all 8) yeah it's a simple idea what could work I think :doh: To hold it up I don't see a problem, it's screwed or bolted snug on the pivot point against the frame, to hold it in place while loaded with gear I was thinking a filler (starboard) piece also against the frame, just above a pointy corner something like this.

Larry sent me the cardboard temp plates :lol:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

8)

and about the templates too. Happy starboard cutting! :)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

based on your work rate, my boat is looking to take me about 10 years to complete
Based on my progress lately, this one might too :help: Hopefully this winter from hell is over.

Thanks to Peter's imagination and my client taking it a step further, we now have a new design in the works :D The hook and pivot details will need to be fine tuned.Will probably make the holders out of stainless or aluminum plate. Maybe starboard, waiting on advice from Raymond on that.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

When the winter from hell is over, it could make for an interesting spring, a spring of all those things that would never happen until *hell freezes over*. Some good, some not so good? 8O Let's hope for just the good. :)

Maybe I'll get my seat tops painted! :lol:

Looking forward to pictures of the actual assembly, and the mechanism to enable deploying them out of the slot. :)

Will the middle laminate match the shape of the retracted holder, so there is less space for crud to form in there, or will it have a little extra space so they still retract fully even if some garbage gets in there? Maybe some soft foam, or better, a bit of serviceable cork or a strip of leather, to prevent rattling, and/or a nice friction fit between nylon washers, or both? Looks good and clean. 8)
Last edited by ks8 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.