A Cracker Built GF18- Finished 6/28/15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: A Cracker Built GF18- Finished 6/28/15

Post by TomW1 »

Cracker Larry wrote:About time to put some blood on it anyway that ain't mine. It's not completely tested until I see it catch some fish :D
Cool 8)
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Larry going back over the pictures. Man how did you get the Ipe to bend around the front transom? A screw every 2-3". :doh:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I tried but could not. Broke several pieces trying to bend it. Ipe doesn't bend easily, sort of like bending a steel bar. Except it shatters when it's had enough tension. The bow transom trim is sawed mahogany, couldn't bend it either, but had some wide enough to saw. The curves are sawed on a band saw, not bent.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

That's sort of what I figured you would have to do. Dad use to call Ipe Ironwood, beautiful but hard to work with. Beautiful job as always!

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jim_Davisson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jim_Davisson »

Glad to hear she performs above expectations with the new wheel. She's definitely a performer for how she's appointed and its a testament to the lightweight, super stiff design of the hull to be so nimble and fast. A similar production boat can't touch the numbers it's achieving due to weight and flex in the hull. I hope to see it out on the Hill someday! ;-)
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I talked to Rogerdog today, he told me he had the boat out on the lake this past weekend with 11 people in it 8O A mix of adults and kids, and loaded down heavy with party supplies and full fuel. Pulled the kids on tubes 3 at a time. Said it jumped right up on plane and ran strong with that load, no problem. Dang :!: Double dang :!: I think Tom nailed the prop numbers just right :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

kcinnick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by kcinnick »

ELEVEN! I was worried about putting 6 on a 21foot boat...

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dang Larry 11 on that boat where did he seat every one. :lol: Glad he is enjoying it. It is one heck of a boat and with the 90 and the prop seems to meet his needs. :D

Tom

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

kcinnick wrote:ELEVEN! I was worried about putting 6 on a 21foot boat...

You can always fit more on a boat like the GP21 which I think you are building, than you think as long as you distribute the weight. If you are building one of Jacques designs he lists the PPI listed at 578 for the GP21, so just add the people weight and the boat will sit 1" lower. Not a big deal for a 21' boat. It depends on what you are going to be doing, fishing no you don't want a lot of people. If you are going out for a fun day on the water with friends sure you can take more people.

Just remember Rogerdog has a 90HP motor on an 17.5' boat so you would need a larger motor to do the same on your 21' GP21. Look at Jauques figures for HP numbers and I would go for the upper level if you are going tubing or skiing.

Tom