A Cracker Built GF18- Finished 6/28/15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: A Cracker Built GF18

Post by Joe H »

Your apprentice looks right at home. :)
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

Good to see another fresh Cracker build, Larry!

For some reason I thought the Grady White was done and gone already... Huh...

That's your job now, huh? I'm jealous! LOL

garym
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by garym »

The way I figure it the faster you work the less ?? I'll have. :D

Have fun!

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Steven »

So what exactly is a tricked out GF18 gonna look like? Is this going to be a fishing machine?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Your apprentice looks right at home.
He has settled in well Joe :D The smartest dog I've ever owned, we got real lucky on this guy considering he was a rescue dog. We finally figured out exactly what he was while watching the Westminster dog show. They had one just like him but not as good looking :lol: . A Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, also called a Little River Duck Dog. Never even heard of one before now. Never heard of duck tolling either, but the dogs are bred to swim out into a lake and somehow attract the ducks to land, then they lead the ducks back to the shooters in the blind who blast them 8O I kid you not. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_Scoti ... _Retriever
He is swimming in the poll right now,
For some reason I thought the Grady White was done and gone already... Huh...
Ugh. I wish. Getting close though, should be finished by the weekend. It was one I should have passed on.
So what exactly is a tricked out GF18 gonna look like? Is this going to be a fishing machine?
Yes, a fishing machine, but also a family boat for tubing, skiing, and general use. The client wants it built turn key, with about every option you can think of. T-top and instrument box, leaning post, maybe a poling platform, ski pylon for sure, built in insulated bait well and cooler, full electronics, at least one trolling motor, discussing 2, and some other stuff. The cockpit sole is going to be made from recycled old growth cypress and the rub rails and maybe inwales will be ipe. We are making modifications to both the transom and bow deck arrangements. Add custom upholstery seating and a few other things.

Short answer, I don't know what it's going to look like, stay tuned, but it won't look like any you've seen yet :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Forgot to say that the shipping company called this afternoon and said the plywood is ready for pick up. That was fast :!: It just left Joel yesterday.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Sounds like a big challenge, be we are all rooting for you and anxious to see the finished product. Keep it going(I posted a question under your original OD thread.) John

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

CL,

You need to rebuild that jig. It's too dang pretty. A table like that needs to be eaten off of, not victim to epoxy splashes :lol: Gonna miss you this year, but we'll get to hang out again soon enough. I'm getting my butt worked off for the last few months, but the end of DC tour is fast approaching 8) Tell Dori I said hello, and that I'm gonna miss my fishing buddy.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

John, nothing but a thing :D Question replied to in that thread.

Will, we had to cancel out on the meet too, so we'll be around. Let me know when you get settled and we'll go fishing here.

Just like Christmas :D

A table like that needs to be eaten off of, not victim to epoxy splashes
It looks even better covered in mahogany :D

Except I don't work this hard on Christmas :lol: It was a lot easier loading the trailer with a fork lift than it was unloading it by man lift. I got it unloaded, sorted and stacked in order of use. Then made a rum drink. 22 sheets almost did me in :help:

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

CL cheers to the rum drink! Rum and boats go so well together.
Dave