A Cracker Built GF18- Finished 6/28/15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: A Cracker Built GF18

Post by Cracker Larry »

Kiwi Grip

I extended 6 flex tubes, with pull strings and wire into the upper console. Neatened it up good. Then sprayed the lower console area with a Prevail sprayer and EMC paint. It worked like a charm, did a real nice job. You could paint the whole boat with a few of these. One more coat under there tomorrow will finish that up..then I have to Kiwi Grip the bottom of it. Need to get that done tomorrow also before the weather turns cold again.

Pulled a few more wires through the chase tubes..

I can't wait to see that Helm station finished on that box
Me either. I've got to show you this trim plate for the steering pod. It will mount flush under the wheel on Peter's cigar box :lol: The center hole is for the steering wheel shaft. Rogerdog bought a 1/4 X 7" stainless disk, sent it to Raymond for a mirror finish polish, then sent it to an engraver for laser engraving 8) Then he drilled the center hole and I cleaned up the burrs with a Dremel tool. It's like looking into a mirror, you can see the bottom of my roof really well :lol: Hard to take a picture of it,

Building on :D
Last edited by Cracker Larry on Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

That's a really neat touch. It will stand out in a classy way.
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run »

Cracker Larry wrote:
It's like looking into a mirror, you can see the bottom of my roof really well :lol:

Building on :D
I like that a lot, very nice touch. Boat looks great
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Funny coincidence. Soleil in French means Sun. Mrs. Cracker and I have had 2 sail boats named Sunshine, 35 years ago :lol: We lived on one for many months, it was only 21' long, sometimes we got stuck for days. All over. Sometimes didn't know what country we were in and didn't care. GPS and LORAN weren't invented yet. Sometimes ate a lot of oysters :lol:

The tide goes out, the tide comes in. I'm lucky she likes oysters :D

Last edited by Cracker Larry on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Great shots, Larry :D .
Tony

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

That steering trim plate is a nice nod to your beautiful Cracker craftsmanship, Larry. It's been fun to see how much Rogerdog has appreciated your work.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Cracker Larry wrote: I've got to show you this trim plate for the steering pod. It will mount flush under the wheel on Peter's cigar box :lol: The center hole is for the steering wheel shaft. Rogerdog bought a 1/4 X 7" stainless disk, sent it to Raymond for a mirror finish polish, then sent it to an engraver for laser engraving 8) Then he drilled the center hole and I cleaned up the burrs with a Dremel tool. It's like looking into a mirror, you can see the bottom of my roof really well
Now that's really cool Larry 8) Sun is that the name of the boat?

Rogerdog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rogerdog »

Sun is the name of the boat.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

We took advantage of the last warm day for a week. Arctic blast is coming tonight. Got the console bottom Kiwi Gripped and the insides sprayed with 2 more coats of EMC. The Prevail sprayer works like a champ for spraying this paint. Very cool, and easy. Wear a mask :!:

Also made a test panel from a scrap piece of plywood, sanded, 2 coats of epoxy, sanded, 3 coats of EMC topcoat, 1 rolled, 2 sprayed. Going to mask it off and test some EMC clear coat with Grip Tex non-skid on it. We''ll see how it looks and how it feels. I'd rather test it off the boat.

It's going to get cold for the next few days, glad I've got most of the painting finished. Only thing left for finishing is clear coating the sole and wood trim. And non-skid. I'll work on the rigging and wiring until it warms up again.