A Cracker Built GF18- Finished 6/28/15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: A Cracker Built GF18

Post by peter-curacao »

Should be blood on the deck already! oh no I'm the last one who can make a comment like that whoops :oops: :lol:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Already got some blood on the deck! Sadly, it's mine :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

AMC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AMC »

Cracker Larry wrote:The temporary molds are from MDF. It's hard to find decent wood that is inexpensive. We're just going to throw it away, but it has to be straight and strong for a month or so. Not much else suitable.
Could you use OSB? I just absolutely have come to HATE MDF for all the dust it makes.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

The OSB at Lowes looked awful. The MDF is dusty for sure, tough on saw blades too, but I work outside so the dust isn't really a problem.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Cl what is your favorite rum and what do you normally drink? :wink: I'm so looking forward to your build threads. It was getting plumb boring not having some good read material. I've got some of the primer on the OD18. 1st sanding complete. Will need to fill some small holes, then finish with a last coat of primer. Was hoping to be done by now, but still about 6 weeks away. Finally decided "what the heck"?

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

cottontop wrote:Cl what is your favorite rum and what do you normally drink? :wink: I'm so looking forward to your build threads. It was getting plumb boring not having some good read material. I've got some of the primer on the OD18. 1st sanding complete. Will need to fill some small holes, then finish with a last coat of primer. Was hoping to be done by now, but still about 6 weeks away. Finally decided "what the heck"?
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

CL, if you don't mind jumping ahead a little bit I'd like to ask you how you are going to construct and install your transom. I see from your earlier post you will laminate 3 sheets of plywood. Are you going to laminate them completely face-to-face with no offset, thereby winding up with a 1 1/2" piece cut to the transom's final dimension? Or will you offset each one by enough to match the angle of the transom relative to the hull? Or something else?

I ask b/c I now have 3 pieces of 1/2" ply that are slightly larger than the plan's dimensions for the transom. I wanted to laminate them and then cut the top and bottom at the 72°the hull makes with the transom (and the aft end of the stringers). By doing so I thought I'd create a constant, flat gap for fillet material b/w the transom bottom and the hull and the transom top and deck.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Cl what is your favorite rum
Cottontop, Doc Dyer knows me too well :D :D
how you are going to construct and install your transom. I see from your earlier post you will laminate 3 sheets of plywood. Are you going to laminate them completely face-to-face with no offset, thereby winding up with a 1 1/2" piece cut to the transom's final dimension? Or will you offset each one by enough to match the angle of the transom relative to the hull?
Will, I have done it both ways but I think it's best to offset the layers unless it's a small boat. The gaps are smaller and uses less fillers. Plus this transom is almost 8' wide and 2' high. If I laminated it before installing then I could barely lift or handle it. I will just stitch 1 transom layer to sides and bottom initially, then add the 2 inside layers later. Probably after the bottom is glassed.

Another crazy weather day, raining sideways for an hour at a time, then sunny for a half hour, then repeat. The bugs love it. I've got one of those Peter custom mosquito traps in action now and as soon as I can drink another 2 liters of tonic water there is going to be another one :lol:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Peter, do you hang these things up, put them on a table, or on the ground? Or all 3? I'll make several but it's going to take a lot of rum to empty the 2 liter bottles :lol:

Worked between rain storms today, didn't get a lot done. Reconfigured the nesting and the splice points, shuffled a lot of plywood around and pondered the plans. Takes a lot of pondering up front to get it right in the end :D

Now that I've cut the frames and roughly sized the sides I get a better appreciation of how large this boat is. I foresee a lot of sanding in my future.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

[quote]Takes a lot of pondering up front to get it right in the end :D [/quote

Indeed! I have spent a lot of time "sitting" with my plywood, bulkheads, panels etc and now with the "stitched-up" boat - thinking about what I have done, what I need to do next, how I am going to do it etc.

My Mrs thinks I am crazy!

I tell her, "better I have a boat than a mistress"!