willg's PH18 - "Yepper" launched 6/11/17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: willg's PH18

Post by Uncle D »

Looks good Will. When you do the 50" cloth, it won't go all the way up the sides. You might want to have cloth cut and ready if you plan on covering it completely and wet on wet. Or not.

Casey and I have reverse chines on ours. he built his by laminating ply. I built mine by dam and fill. Used about a gal of epoxy to do it. Don

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Thanks, Don. I'm having fun with the build. I have things lined up for glassing the hull this weekend. I do plan to glass the sides.

Yep, I'm going to order 1.5 gallons epoxy from bateau for the reverse chines and strakes. I plan to dam and fill, but also imbed some wood cut to fit to take up some of the volume.

I'd love to swing down your way some time this summer and check out your build.

Will

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

No problem Will. Someday I might even finish and we'll go fishing. :roll: :wink:
Don

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Glassed the hull today. I applied neat epoxy last night and got a good start today. It took me 4 hrs to double tape all seams and the transom by myself, then 5 hrs on the biax cloth with the help of my sons. I like the way it turned out. I had my items laid out ahead of time Cracker-style. Next I'll glass the sides, but it will likely be a couple of weekends from now. I plan on reverse chines and a strake on each side. I have the strake molds from flyfishingmonk and will use those. Since I'm going to glass in the chines and strakes I thought I'd wait till all that's done before fairing. I know I'll be working in smaller areas to fair that way but the way the glass laid down today it doesn't seem like that will be so bad. I'm wide open to any suggestions/tips re these next few steps.

Neat epoxy applied:

Biax tape:

Setting up for biax cloth:
I put a little EZ-Fillet in the corner to fill the gap between the tape pieces.
Last edited by willg on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Looks good Will. That is a nice milestone to pass. You said fairing won't be that bad? Fairing is always a pain.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Sanded the whole hull and washed off the dust. It felt good to spray water on the hull! I had known I had a few air pockets to deal with, but the sanding/washing process made those and several others more noticeable. The biggest of them are pictured below. I have filled them with epoxy using a syringe. I went over the hull a few times and tried to fill anything that looked like a pocket. In general the glass is very solid and based on what I read I think I'm good to go after filling the pockets.

I could see how a big, long pocket would be a sign of a weak lamination, but could someone tell me what the concern would be for any pockets I might have missed? Is it lamination strength, future paint failure or something else?

Will
Last edited by willg on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Thanks for the compliment, Mike. In a way I'm looking forward to the fairing process. At least that's what I'm saying now ...

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

I felt the same way about fairing before I started with the long board! :help: I am still fairing!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Very nice work Will. If I remember, I sanded down the small bubbles that stood proud then patched. Looks great!! Don

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Thanks, Don. I did find a few areas with pockets which I injected but didn't like the outcome. I sanded them down and patched them today. I held each piece down with visqueen as peel ply and like the result. If I were to do the build all over again I would cover each hull seam with lengths of visqueen - it seems to prevent air intrusion nicely.

Here's one completed patch

I glassed the sides today as well. I had sanded the edges of the biax cloth planning to overlap with the side glass, but ultimately decided that since the side glass is not structural to just approximate the two edges. I first put wide masking tape along the old cloth, overlapped the new glass and epoxy a bit onto the masking tape, then cut a nice edge when the epoxy was green. It came out well and should be easy to fair without any humps. I know I'm not describing anything new to many of you, but I did like the final product and wanted to pass it on.

Tape in place

Tape removed
Last edited by willg on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.