willg's PH18 - "Yepper" launched 6/11/17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: willg's PH18 - "Yepper" launched 6/11/17

Post by cape man »

38 with a 90 on a boat that big is amazing. Love the Phantoms.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

38 with a 90 on a boat that big is amazing. Love the Phantoms.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Will - have any video you can post?

I hope all is well.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Will it sounds like you have your prop pretty well dialed in, see if they will trade it for an 18 pitch and get a couple 200 rpms more. It will give you 2 or 3 mph. The Viper is an excellent prop. I am not sure Evinrude makes an 18 some of there prop lines only go in 2 inch groupings. More importantly it will keep you in the main rpm range when loaded with those 4 guys.

Congratulations on a very successful launch. Another thought is if your not ventilating in turns try raising your motor on the jack plate just until you are and then lower the motor 1/2 inch. This may increase your performance. You said you had it tuned just right so ignore this if you have already have done it.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

flyfishingmonk wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:22 am Will - have any video you can post?

I hope all is well.

Casey
Casey, no videos yet. I will someday and will post up. All is well, thanks. I moved the boat to a secure storage facility in Matagorda. It has made getting on the water much easier than hauling the boat there and back. A few weekends ago my son and I fished Sat/Sun and stayed Sat night at the Fisherman's Hotel. Low cost, clean and nice people. My storage place, the hotel and Matagorda are all within a few hundred yards of each other.
TomW1 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:40 pm Will it sounds like you have your prop pretty well dialed in, see if they will trade it for an 18 pitch and get a couple 200 rpms more. It will give you 2 or 3 mph. The Viper is an excellent prop. I am not sure Evinrude makes an 18 some of there prop lines only go in 2 inch groupings. More importantly it will keep you in the main rpm range when loaded with those 4 guys.

Congratulations on a very successful launch. Another thought is if your not ventilating in turns try raising your motor on the jack plate just until you are and then lower the motor 1/2 inch. This may increase your performance. You said you had it tuned just right so ignore this if you have already have done it.

Tom

Tom , I should get a spare prop for safety's sake, and was debating something less expensive vs another stainless model with different specs. Was wondering about a 4-blade also. I'm still in the learning phase and am trying out different jp and trim adjustments for various conditions, turning, etc. It's becoming second nature to some degree but I have more learning to do.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Sounds great Will! Glad you found a workable arrangement to get on the water without too much burden.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

willg wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:31 pm
flyfishingmonk wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:22 am Will - have any video you can post?

I hope all is well.

Casey
Casey, no videos yet. I will someday and will post up. All is well, thanks. I moved the boat to a secure storage facility in Matagorda. It has made getting on the water much easier than hauling the boat there and back. A few weekends ago my son and I fished Sat/Sun and stayed Sat night at the Fisherman's Hotel. Low cost, clean and nice people. My storage place, the hotel and Matagorda are all within a few hundred yards of each other.
TomW1 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:40 pm Will it sounds like you have your prop pretty well dialed in, see if they will trade it for an 18 pitch and get a couple 200 rpms more. It will give you 2 or 3 mph. The Viper is an excellent prop. I am not sure Evinrude makes an 18 some of there prop lines only go in 2 inch groupings. More importantly it will keep you in the main rpm range when loaded with those 4 guys.

Tom

Tom , I should get a spare prop for safety's sake, and was debating something less expensive vs another stainless model with different specs. Was wondering about a 4-blade also. I'm still in the learning phase and am trying out different jp and trim adjustments for various conditions, turning, etc. It's becoming second nature to some degree but I have more learning to do.
A four blade on a Phantom would be pretty standard. It would allow you to go shallower, turn faster, increase your straight line holding. But since you have the 3 blade lets see if it is the right one. Get the motor broken in and see what the top rpm's are compared to the motors listed top rpms. I really prefer 4 blades on most boats due to the performance enhancements they provide. When you have the motor broken in let me know and we will go from there. Either stay with your 3 blade or calculate a new 3 blade or 4 blade.

For a backup prop there is no reason to get anythin other than an aluminum prop. It may be my German in me but why spend $400 when you can spend less than $200 fir something you may never use.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978