Penny HMD19

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Harmony HMD19 started

Post by blueflood »

Full day of sanding the S3 high build primer. Hard stuff that coating and some orange peel with a 1/4" nap roller to deal with. 80 grit to start and up to 150 grit. Three coats of primer on the sides and two on the bottom is adequate for no sand-thru. The Pettit Unipoxy anti fouling requires 80 grit sanding only. Re-leveled the strongback once more to make certain the hull is where its supposed to be !

Self-leveling laser level is used to mark the bottom paint / topside transition (blue and off-white). Had to do this at dusk otherwise the beam is impossible to see during daytime.
Last edited by blueflood on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Anti-fouling transition marked and taped using "Frog Tape". Once burnished the paint line is razor sharp with zero bleed thru.

The bow eye stand-off. I did not want the legs coming straight out of the stem so I built-up a small fairing to have the backing plate properly sit on it as a detail. As with all hull penetrations the holes are oversized, epoxy filled then re-drilled.

Two coats of Pettit Unipoxy anti-fouling to properly cover. This stuff is potent even with a good fume/vapor cartridge respirator and shelter door rolled up I have had enough of smelling it. Wicked stuff.

The anti-fouling is applied to 3" above the design waterline so she does not sit particularly low in the water. Bateau.com renderings show the bottom paint a bit higher but I found that line looked too high at the sides.

Hard to see but the backing plate blends with the hull.
Last edited by blueflood on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Shamrock Kid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Shamrock Kid »

:wink: very nice work, seem to be coming right along. The hull looks great, wow.
John

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Great job. You are flying 8)

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi all,

Well my build has reached a milestone this summer. I wanted her hull done and bottom painted so that is done. I do not anticipate anything major until the spring and flipping her over is pointless at this time, so come next spring it is ramming speed once again. On a high note however I am procuring the necessities little by little so as not to max out the VISA :roll: Also in the last 4 years, the price has doubled on most things; so I am buying now. Portable head, 4 step telescopic boarding ladder, cleats, locking gas fill, alcohol stove, navigation lights, handrails, fuel vent, cup holder, flipper pump for H2O. Sometime soon, two seats, steering wheel, gauges, fuel tank and Mercury 9.9 HP Pro Kicker :D...and the list goes on :lol:. Good thing the Canadian dollar is at par with the US dollar though because I had to go south of the border a few times.

Marc
Last edited by blueflood on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Sweet looking hull!

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Hi Marc

Nice looking boat! You'll have a lot more fun once you flip it. Just a note, I source most of my marine hardware from the US and have it shipped to the UPS Store in Ogdensburg NY. Send me a message here and I'll give you the details and some good sources for reasonably priced marine equipment.

Rick.
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Rick,

Yes, by all means please go ahead with your sources. I have spent many hours surfing for the best deals and even with shipping / duty some parts are still cheaper coming from the States. I have found The Chandlery here in Ottawa quite helpful but some things I want they cannot get. I have read your early entries Rick and us Canadians are always on the short end of the proverbial stick with the comparatative cost of anything on both sides of the border. Even Pettit Paints is a hassle because of the required bilingual information, adding to the frustration. I will definately check your suggested boat shop in Merrickville for the stainless steel guardrails. One quote I got for my simple design was $3000 :lol: :doh: I'd do it myself but I have no access to bending tools or welder.

Thanks BarraMan :D

Marc
Last edited by blueflood on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

Knottybuoyz wrote:Hi Marc

Nice looking boat! You'll have a lot more fun once you flip it. Just a note, I source most of my marine hardware from the US and have it shipped to the UPS Store in Ogdensburg NY. Send me a message here and I'll give you the details and some good sources for reasonably priced marine equipment.
Too funny. I have friends in BC and from what they say the UPS store in Point Roberts, Washington, must be the busiest in any small town in the US. If you don't know where Point Roberts is you should look it up on a map.

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Crap :| Harmony covered for the remainder of the season; a very sad day it was. I will be cutting the cabin ply soon - not much else I can do now except design work on her internals and keep buying some stuff. I need to keep afloat during the long cold winter :help:

Can't win Rick :lol:
Last edited by blueflood on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.