Page 1 of 1

Penny HMD19

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:39 pm
by blueflood
Hi all,

Harmony has her keel laid ; started building in late May. I live in Ottawa, Canada with construction under shelter at the cottage. I have no access to a garage so the logistics are many. The construction season is limited to late spring, summer and early fall so this is going to be a three year project. I ordered the plans during the dead of winter to study, organize and pre-plan, now the marine ply has been delivered (plus a few sheets extra of each), so has the S3 Silver Tip epoxy. Double checked everything and panel cutting / assembly to start soon. As long as the hull is faired (and hopefully bottom painted by September) I plan to flip next spring and start with the internals. Pictures to follow...

Marc aka blueflood

Re: blueflood HMD19 started

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:56 am
by AtTheBrink
Looking forward to see this build! Post up some pictures!

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:19 am
by blueflood

HMD19 started

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:48 am
by blueflood

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 am
by AtTheBrink
Looks great! You precoated the panels before you stitched it up? What was your reason behind this?

Harmony HMD19 started

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:15 am
by blueflood
Hi Mike,

Because working outside being the main reason. Here in Ottawa it gets very humid during the summer and tons of snow during the winter and occasional monsoon rains in between. The shelter cover and sides have to be removed during the winter. I am glad I went this route because the driving rain made the hull perpetually wet until the shelter was finally delivered. I simply did not like the idea of having her exposed to the elements for months, unprotected, even thought she is 100% marine ply and being a three year project.

Marc

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:21 am
by AtTheBrink
Sounds like a good reason to me!

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:19 am
by blueflood
Site preparation under the pine trees and mostly flat ground. The strongback will be resting on 16" patio stones.

Strongback construction using 2" x 8" X 16' long, squaring and levelling. I want it sturdy in case I have to move the boat.

At last the marine ply and S3 epoxy delivered. My marine plywood source is an a two hour drive away from the building site so I ordered a few sheets extra of everything. Cutting time has arrived.

Early spring and thaw so the ground is still heaving. Strongback last time set-up and leveling, shelter bought and erected. It came from Shelter Logic being 12' x 24' with both ends. Very sturdy design.

Frames located. Duct tape on corners was to prevent the putty on joints from migrating and sticking to the frames but in retrospect not needed. I ended up temporarily spot puttying the frames in place until the hull is flipped over on the cradle then aligned and co-planed using the attached frames.

Cottage has been temporarily designated as the cutting and epoxying area until all hull panels are done. This was during mid-spring, at least that is finished now so I can use in peace and quiet.

The panels were somewhat difficult to handle but I managed. The 50 meter walk from the cottage to the building area was especially tricky, those side panels being so long and on the heavy side working solo. Of course after negotiating my way there three times without incidents I dropped the last one right on my car's quarter panel wheel trim. Busted ! :roll:

Stitching; all the panels mated nicely without much effort. 3/8" gap all around but a few spots required a bit of trimming. I was using a mini circular saw instead of the jigsaw because the blade depth is adjustable for the ply thickness instead of propping the panels for the jigsaw blade. That proved to be a waste of time and effort in retrospect. The jig would have been much more accurate.

Joints puttied, corners are 1/2" radiused and 12oz biax tape applied. There is a kink on the left side joint which needs to be faired later.

12oz biax cloth application. For extra durability I also applied 6oz cloth on the sides butted to the 12oz covering the chine; it was not overlapped on that area however. I knew there was a huge difference in wetting out properties between the two, it was during the lamination of the 6oz I realized how much. It was like wetting out toilet paper compared to the 12oz.

100% sheathed and skeg location markings. Also visible is the horizontal marking for the anti fouling transition. I will use a laser level to mark the waterline at sides from the corner points at transom.

Profiling the skeg to hull for final cutting. Guides clamped on transom to secure the skeg while epoxy glue set-up. I used oak for a shoe over the softer pine. In hindsight I would have forego the oak altogether. All the pine used on the boat comes from a source in the village which specializes in pine lumber. Excellent stock not found in the common big box stores but it comes at a premium.

Skeg attached, filleted and tabbed with overlapping 12oz biax. The hull is totally epoxied at this point with two heavy coats of resin

The transom 4" filler piece added in the cut-out to accommodate the Mercury 9.9hp 25" XL shaft Pro Kicker outboard. A 1/2" doubler is also glued inside covering the lower transom. A 3/4" clamping board is glued for a total of 1 3/4" thick which is the minimum clamping board thickness for that motor.

Faired and ready to seal with final coat of epoxy. The fairing took a good 30 hours total with the most work being around the bow. The stem was also strengthened with an additional layer of 12oz biax all the way down to the hull bottom.

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:55 am
by Dougster
Looks great to me. Your work is much cleaner than mine at that point. The winter lay off may be nice, kind of taking things by seasons and having a forced break. I'm sure building outdoors has it's challenges but that sure is a beautiful build site!

Watching the build Dougster

Re: Harmony HMD19 started

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:27 pm
by blueflood
Hi Dougster,

The only drawback building outside at the cottage is being 45 minutes away so I am burning a lot of gas going home to wash after a full day (no running water at cottage) only to go back the next day. Especially this phase of glassing and sanding - I have no urge or interest to stay overnight this year :( During winter I will keep busy sketching, designing the interior and buying hardware little by little (seats, stove, head etc...). It is a nice quiet spot where I spend most of my weekends but the lake is not where I will be cruising. That will be the Ottawa River, Rideau Canal, St. Laurence River... More logistics to deal with later but she will be moored throughout the boating season. So you are building an HMD19 as well ?

Big clean-up and final resin thin seal-coat applied. Sanding on weekend then S3 primer. Time-wise I started in early June to get to this stage working mostly weekends and some evenings after work, probably 125 hours invested though I decided not to count hours on her. My intent is to go at a reasonable pace without busting a blood pipe. This year I wanted the hull primed and bottom paint applied so I am on schedule. Late summer and fall I will be cutting the pilot house panels. Flip time is next spring.

As for other outdoor challenges - at the mercy of winds and storms. Oh yeah..knocked down hydro line by a pine tree...and forever a big can of "Deep Woods Off" at the ready for those gigantic Canadian mosquitoes and black flies.

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:27 am
by AtTheBrink
You're moving right along! Looks great!

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:17 am
by blueflood
Hi AtTheBrink,

Moving along ok. As my two younger bro's say when they visit..."stop looking at it and keep working" :doh:

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:19 am
by Dougster
Good Lord! Sanding, mosquitoes, and black flies 8O I think I'd make the 45 minute drive home for a shower too :lol: I'm building the Nina lb22 down here in Texas and have had the luxury of an indoor build. She's outdoors for good now, on the trailer, while I struggle in the heat with the electrical, rigging, and last minute details. But no black flies or mosquitoes!

Glad you're on board Dougster

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:56 am
by blueflood
Hi Dougster,

What a nice design the Nina LB22 ! Do you have build pix ? Oh well, mom nature's elements; all part of the fun though I will gladly take the heat before the black flies and mosquitoes. On a side note it gets to 30 -35 degrees C in the summer (85-95 degrees F in your world) and I have had epoxy kick in no time. I can imagine you guys in Texas :o

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:26 pm
by Dougster
I just posted on my build thread. There's lots of pics scattered through a long thread, documenting both my amazingly slow progress and the patience and kind support of the experienced builders on this forum :oops:
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... 56#p329156

Says the turtle gets there too Dougster

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:05 pm
by blueflood
All thru holes in hull are drilled oversized, epoxy filled and re-drilled for appropriate hardware. The internal joints at the transom are all filleted and tabbed as is the doubler and clamping board. The bow is also filleted, tabbed and bow eye doubler installed. Working overhead in a tight space; hence the major mess under :oops: Huge pet peeve of mine - a dirty disorganized work area.

First coat S3 High Build Yacht Primer applied with two more to go. S3 HB primer is a joy to work with being water soluble and no VOC.

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:16 pm
by peter-curacao
That looks very good imo 8) great job

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:03 pm
by AtTheBrink
Dang! You are quick! Looks good!

Harmony HMD19 started

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:24 am
by blueflood
Hi AtTheBrink,

Thanks for this. Quick ? No not really according to my bros :lol: Just half-organized concentrating on one thing at a time. Comfortable with fairing curved surfaces.

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:14 pm
by blueflood
Third and final coat on hull applied today. Letting the S3 High Build primer cure for a few days and sanding on the weekend. Pettit Unepoxy anti fouling on bottom next then on to building the flipping frame.

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:26 pm
by blueflood
Full day of sanding the S3 high build primer. Hard stuff that coating and some orange peel with a 1/4" nap roller to deal with. 80 grit to start and up to 150 grit. Three coats of primer on the sides and two on the bottom is adequate for no sand-thru. The Pettit Unipoxy anti fouling requires 80 grit sanding only. Re-leveled the strongback once more to make certain the hull is where its supposed to be !

Self-leveling laser level is used to mark the bottom paint / topside transition (blue and off-white). Had to do this at dusk otherwise the beam is impossible to see during daytime.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:42 pm
by blueflood
Anti-fouling transition marked and taped using "Frog Tape". Once burnished the paint line is razor sharp with zero bleed thru.

The bow eye stand-off. I did not want the legs coming straight out of the stem so I built-up a small fairing to have the backing plate properly sit on it as a detail. As with all hull penetrations the holes are oversized, epoxy filled then re-drilled.

Two coats of Pettit Unipoxy anti-fouling to properly cover. This stuff is potent even with a good fume/vapor cartridge respirator and shelter door rolled up I have had enough of smelling it. Wicked stuff.

The anti-fouling is applied to 3" above the design waterline so she does not sit particularly low in the water. Bateau.com renderings show the bottom paint a bit higher but I found that line looked too high at the sides.

Hard to see but the backing plate blends with the hull.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:16 pm
by Shamrock Kid
:wink: very nice work, seem to be coming right along. The hull looks great, wow.

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:11 am
by wegcagle
Great job. You are flying 8)

Will

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:30 pm
by blueflood
Hi all,

Well my build has reached a milestone this summer. I wanted her hull done and bottom painted so that is done. I do not anticipate anything major until the spring and flipping her over is pointless at this time, so come next spring it is ramming speed once again. On a high note however I am procuring the necessities little by little so as not to max out the VISA :roll: Also in the last 4 years, the price has doubled on most things; so I am buying now. Portable head, 4 step telescopic boarding ladder, cleats, locking gas fill, alcohol stove, navigation lights, handrails, fuel vent, cup holder, flipper pump for H2O. Sometime soon, two seats, steering wheel, gauges, fuel tank and Mercury 9.9 HP Pro Kicker :D...and the list goes on :lol:. Good thing the Canadian dollar is at par with the US dollar though because I had to go south of the border a few times.

Marc

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:49 pm
by BarraMan
Sweet looking hull!

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:13 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Hi Marc

Nice looking boat! You'll have a lot more fun once you flip it. Just a note, I source most of my marine hardware from the US and have it shipped to the UPS Store in Ogdensburg NY. Send me a message here and I'll give you the details and some good sources for reasonably priced marine equipment.

Rick.

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:07 am
by blueflood
Hi Rick,

Yes, by all means please go ahead with your sources. I have spent many hours surfing for the best deals and even with shipping / duty some parts are still cheaper coming from the States. I have found The Chandlery here in Ottawa quite helpful but some things I want they cannot get. I have read your early entries Rick and us Canadians are always on the short end of the proverbial stick with the comparatative cost of anything on both sides of the border. Even Pettit Paints is a hassle because of the required bilingual information, adding to the frustration. I will definately check your suggested boat shop in Merrickville for the stainless steel guardrails. One quote I got for my simple design was $3000 :lol: :doh: I'd do it myself but I have no access to bending tools or welder.

Thanks BarraMan :D

Marc

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:58 pm
by Rick
Knottybuoyz wrote:Hi Marc

Nice looking boat! You'll have a lot more fun once you flip it. Just a note, I source most of my marine hardware from the US and have it shipped to the UPS Store in Ogdensburg NY. Send me a message here and I'll give you the details and some good sources for reasonably priced marine equipment.
Too funny. I have friends in BC and from what they say the UPS store in Point Roberts, Washington, must be the busiest in any small town in the US. If you don't know where Point Roberts is you should look it up on a map.

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:12 pm
by blueflood
Crap :| Harmony covered for the remainder of the season; a very sad day it was. I will be cutting the cabin ply soon - not much else I can do now except design work on her internals and keep buying some stuff. I need to keep afloat during the long cold winter :help:

Can't win Rick :lol:

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:07 pm
by Shamrock Kid
blueflood wrote:Image I need to keep afloat during the long cold winter :help: Marc
That must really suck there is no way I could do that. Cover it up for the whole winter season would drive me crazy. :doh: Good luck I hope you make it though with out going crazy. :D

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:09 pm
by Cracker Larry
I'm hoping for winter just so I can get some work done! 95F every day is killing me :!:

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:44 pm
by blueflood
:cry: I said help...not to remind me of the brutal 6 months ahead :lol:

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:12 pm
by blueflood
WhooHooo The big beast Merc 9.9HP Four Stroke 25" XL shaft, 10" 4 bladed prop and power tilt is home :D but will not be installed for another 3-4 years :roll: and I cannot look at it much even; it's stored at my bro's....

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:59 pm
by Cracker Larry
Hook it up to a hose and run it once a month if you can.

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:11 pm
by blueflood
Hi Larry,

Yes I was very explicit at the dealer about my intentions. They said it is best to leave it resting on its side or better yet on a stand. Plus I don't want to bother my brother with the hose and logistics of hauling it out from the basement.

Marc

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:15 pm
by chicagoross
20" (long) shaft" I have the 25" x=long on mine, and ended up raising the transom 2" it was down so low...I think that will work better!

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:37 pm
by blueflood
Hi Chicagoross,

I bought the XL 25" as well and raised the transom also. The Pro Kicker has this huge bracket as you are aware and had I not raised the clamping board, a portion of it would have dragged under. I added 4" to the transom cut-out, you can see on a build photo I believe. The bracket now sits fully on the transom, right to the very bottom at keel. Ordering a custom 13 gallon aluminum gas tank and a plastic 5 gallon water tank very soon.

Marc

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:40 am
by chicagoross
If I remember, without pulling my plans, there is room for a 10 gallon triangular shaped water tank. I skipped the water tank and had to fill that area of the hull with water bottles for ballast. With the same motor, you'll be happier with a bigger water tank if you haven't already committed to the other tank. Don't worry about weighing this boat down, I build heavy and went to great lengths to fit pluggable scuppers, but then found out that with 5 adults and two kids, full fishing and snorkeling and day trip gear, coolers, etc, the scuppers still are well above water. This boat has a tremendous capacity. Weight forward is good, though!

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:14 am
by blueflood
Hi Chicagoross,

Yes a custom 13 gal aluminum gas tank from Atlantic Welding and a stock 7 gal plastic water tank is planned. I lowered the pilothouse sole by 9" as you did to have headroom when standing up, so that ate under-sole volume for the water tank. I have a small sink with a flipper pump, alcohol stove for some comfort and early morning coffee. That's a big crowd you have chicagoross - I'll be mostly cruising as a party of two; me being the guest of honour :lol: :wink:

Marc

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:19 pm
by chicagoross
You'll have plenty of room and capacity for your gear and supplies! I need to order the sink and pump for MM21 pretty soon; right now finances are tight and project is stalled. Sound's like you've already got all the expensive stuff!

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:18 am
by blueflood
Hi Chicagoross,

Sorry to hear about the stalled project Ross, that can be frustrating no doubt. I am certain things will pick up again in the near future.

Next up are two seats from Tempress and two Bomar 16" X16" hatches with some odds and ends in between. I have spent a great deal of time looking for the seats though; I was leaning towards the Attwood Centric but they are too big and bulky so my final choice is the Navistyle Low Back with a slider / swivel. I will wait at the end for the electronics.

You say weight forward is good, can you tell me how much ? I only plan to leave the basics under the berths and I want her to trim level, not squat by the stern. Besides the Porta-Pottie, PFDs, fenders etc... I doubt those will add anything adequate for ballast.

Marc

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:12 pm
by chicagoross
I have about 10 gallons of water forward; just right for most loads. Fill your tanks and then you'll see! :)

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:31 pm
by blueflood
:cry: While I peruse all my fellow builder's progress on their boats, this is what mine looks like at this time :roll: An inch of dead pine needles, wrapped up and freezing by her lonely self :help:

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:28 am
by garym
Know how you feel. Had frost on my boat this morning.

The gf18 hasn't seen water yet but I seem to keep looking at the HM19 design.

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:16 pm
by garym
Nice boat and progress Gary...looking sweet Yes it is somewhat demoralizing not being able to work on her but it gives something to look forward to come April. You are interested in the HMD19 ?
Your boat looks great as well and it seems that you made tremendous progress in a short period of time.

I'm a little ways off but I think it will be the HM19. I would like the option of planning when conditions permit.
Lower HP requirements when compared to the p19.

This whole conversation is kind of funny considering the 1st build isn't finished and hasn't gotten wet yet.

If I don't get to much blow back from the family I will start next winter. I pushed the GF18 out pretty fast and would expect a much slower pace on the HM19 - 2-3 years.

Sounds like your build window is similar to mine April - October. I'm in the process of finishing wiring and preparing to jack the boat up onto the trailer so I have a month or two before I'm shut down.

Gary

Keep up the posts and the photos.

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:46 pm
by blueflood
Hi Gary,

Yes, I have looked at that one as well but for the amount of time I would need speed, it did not make sense to me so slow speed cruising it will be. Also 15 HP was contemplated until Chicagoross and Evan convinced me otherwise and to get the 9.9 instead.

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:49 am
by blueflood
Just a quick note to you guys still building...YEAHH ! Looking at your progress on a daily basis and admiring your work. I am still sketching and planing my interior and sourcing material. :roll: My only other progress was driving to the cottage and dragging my hands on her cold inverted hull :( anticipating the warm spring to get back at it.

Keep at it, captains :D

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:17 pm
by garym
Ordered the HM19 plans on Thursday, should be here next week.
I need something to do this winter.

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:35 pm
by blueflood
Hi all,

Still progressing on Harmony but by drawings. All the dimensions are set, chases and structure known. All the outfitting parts are "must have" and no holding back. A few sketches attached if other potential HMD19 builders are interested.

Go for it Gary :D

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:07 am
by blueflood
Hi all,

Anyone out there know anything about anti-siphon valves ? I am uncertain about the mechanics of it but seems there are two schools of thought. Anyhow, I am inquiring if the HMD19 with a permanent gas tank feeding a 9.9 Mercury needs one ? The sketches attached show the arrangement.

Marc

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:40 am
by Cracker Larry
Most people hate them because they often stick and can be a source of trouble. They are required in the US if the fuel line runs lower than the tank, not required if the fuel line is higher than tank. I have no idea about Ontario, but I would avoid using it if possible.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:42 am
by blueflood
Thank you CL...that is the way then :D

Marc

Harmony HMD19

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:31 pm
by blueflood
Still working away on Harmony simply to pass the time before the snow melts with some sketches of the internals. I think everything has been bought now and in storage..hatches, seats, fuel, outfit and electrical all packed in 6 Rubbermaid containers until I need them :lol: I am getting anxious.

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:44 pm
by peter-curacao
Double post sorry :oops:

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:51 pm
by peter-curacao
peter-curacao wrote:Wow 8O those sketches really look professional! Image

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:56 pm
by Cracker Larry
Sure enough! I think I could build it faster than I could draw all that 8O

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:45 pm
by blueflood
Thanks guys...it did take a while to draw though but the actual details have been bouncing around in my head ever since I got the plans. I would rather build with everything more planned than less planned. Still not sure on the finish yet or what to use paint-wise. All I know is that I want very functional but detailed.

On a technical side; the fuel fill hose - how do you guys bury it ? Is there ever a need to remove a fuel fill hose ? Mine is clamped in a channel so now I am wondering if I cannot even get to the clamps without ripping the sole, why bother and simply foam around it.

You guys are lucky; cool maybe to build but it is still building. I am stuck in mud, snow, sleet, moon-size crater potholes, 2 feet of snow and nowhere to go. knottyBuoyz's shed is flooded - time to revolt, Rick :lol:

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:03 pm
by Cracker Larry
The fill hose, and the rest of them will probably need replacing every 10 -20 years, but their time will come. Better to plan now for it needing replacing at some point in the future. Fill hoses seldom go in chases and I sure wouldn't foam it in.
You guys are lucky; cool maybe to build but it is still building. I am stuck in mud, snow, sleet, moon-size crater potholes, 2 feet of snow and nowhere to go. knottyBuoyz's shed is flooded - time to revolt, Rick
Sounds like time to move south :help:

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:48 am
by justin_dwyer
Hi Marc, planning is half the battle, so when that snow melts, you'll be able to build on knowing where to go.

Great job, I hope you get to build soon :)

Cheers
Justin

Harmony HMD19

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:29 am
by blueflood
Guys,

OK, I assume the fuel fill hose is then floating between frames ? All the tank fittings are accessible from under the removable step in the cabin, fill cap on port side gunwale. My hose crosses a foamed-in compartment below the sole hence the chase. I am concerned about abrasion though, so a few cushion clamps to mitigate the potential was an idea. Do I even need clamps in between the fittings and the fill cap ? Another thought is that the hose is so stiff that more space around it the better; no contact points anywhere ?

so..how do you typically run yours ? Sorry the sketch show the fill hose on the perspective but not on the elevation - the chase is missing there too (that's what rushing to finish a drawing does :lol: ) Anyhow you can visualize, it is between Fr B and the lounger mid-leg and butted against the sole underside, maybe 4" X 4", foamed around.

Thanks...the design spiral keeps turning :roll:

Marc

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:53 am
by peter-curacao
Sorry for the crappy pic , best one I could find. But if you look careful you see it, I think :doh:

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:51 am
by blueflood
Thanks Peter...that is the idea...space around.

Marc

Harmony HMD19

Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:14 pm
by blueflood
Back on Harmony. Gotta say removing the shelter roof solo was a heck easier than putting it back up; ropes and all - should have built a sailboat :lol: Chase tubes bought and starting the cradle for a hopefully May 18 flip. I noticed while removing temporary structure inside that some frames were easy to detach from the hull. I only spot glued for stiffness but I will surely need extra bracing inside and re-glue. Gathering up the crowd is the real hassle but I will have tow straps and a few beers for them. Frames install, gas tank, water tank, hoses, transducer, foam and sole is the plan for this year.

The cradle is built and secured to the existing double-duty strongback since it is level and sturdy; the 2" x 6" pads are loosely screwed with lag bolts to the vertical 2" X 8" so the pads are self adjusting to the hull shape when the hull is lowered on them. A bit of cushioning, secure the transom / bow supports similar to those and she is good for another two years.

Harmony HMD19

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:21 pm
by blueflood
Hi all !

She is flipped :D and balancing spot on. Shoring up the transom and bow tomorrow; today I only blocked the ends for some security - she's not moving. The flip was much less painful than I imagined. I had estimated a liberal 600 pounds worst case but with 10 people - no sweat to move around.

She is HUGE :lol: I will co-plane and check for level before removing frames and start the internal glassing. Already I can see the difficulty glassing the interior with the deadrise and the width. Plus I have just enough 12oz but not in full length; it will be done with over lapping sections. Before the flip, a few 2" x 4" were temporarily screwed to the sides for stiffeness.

Re: Harmony HMD19

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:29 pm
by garym
Congrats on the flip. Looks great

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:51 pm
by blueflood
Well, it's building time again. Frames are out and the fillets, joints taping has been done. Ran out of bi-ax fabric and resin at this point so more is on order plus 2-part foam, tints, wood floor etc... The bottom is so large that I will glass in sections running port to stbd. Quite the shape in there and I found it is easier to work around the center line. Hopefully the frames are back in very soon, then the fun stuff :D

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:56 pm
by justin_dwyer
Looks great Marc.
She looks big once you can see her insides.

I am not there yet, but doing the inside looks like that is where s the fun is.

Great work

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:17 pm
by Cracker Larry
doing the inside looks like that is where s the fun is.
That's where the work is for sure. The outside is easy compared to the inside. Looking really good 8)

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:39 pm
by blueflood
Glad to be back on Harmony build. A very productive weekend glassing the bottom, sides. Now laying out and marking the spaces and structure. The most useful tool bought is a self leveling laser level for those compound curves :D Worked like a charm and highly recommended as a must have tool.

While I am planning six steps ahead, has anyone ever poured 2 part urethane foam in an (almost) fully enclosed compartment ? I was planning to have multiple access holes or even a temporary cover lined with heavy plastic for not to stick over the void to be filled but I am afraid there would be so much expansion that something will get unglued or worst...fracture...any thoughts ?

This week - seat for the gas and water tank and installing some frames.

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:12 am
by AtTheBrink
Marc, when you glassed the bottom did you follow the Lamination schedule on the plans? Another builder did his glassing similar to how you did yours, side to side instead of running the length of the boat, and there was some question about overlaps at the keel and chine. If the glass doesn't overlap as specified in the plans you could be missing strength and have serious issues later. Just a heads up.
And for the foam, if it were me I wouldn't pour foam in an enclosed space. Pour it where you need it, let it expand and cut off the excess. That foam is powerful stuff, if you try to confine it it can bend and even break stuff.

I like your boat. It's looking good!

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:21 am
by blueflood
Hi AtTheBrink,

Yes thank you for this, I did follow the lamination schedule and stayed with specified weights and material except I had to use up whatever was left of the biax and that meant overlapping pieces. I think the other builder did not overlap the seams if I recall; that was his issue. I am also adding overlapped 6" biax tape on the keel joint this week. Even though my bottom is done in 4 pieces, everything is overlapped by +6" and also I do have longitudinal bulkhead one foot off centre line, port and stbd running most of the length so the hull bottom is really sturdy and should be OK.

As for the foam, I have to work between installed frames when I pour so my access to cut and trim is confined. Anyhow I will work in small batches and do the trimming as required.

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:30 pm
by blueflood
Progress on the boat with the H2O and gas tank compartments and frames. Tank foundations all built and ready to install.The gas tank seat is full length frame to frame and reinforced under but off the hull bottom and the water tank is sitting on a platform glued to hull because of height restrictions.Thru-hull transducer hole is cut with a hole saw. I did not use the over drill / epoxy / drill method here because it is not a high stress area but the edge is covered with 12oz and at least 6 coats of epoxy. As for the design mods, I added longitudinal bulkheads for more strength from frame A up to the bow. Both compartments are primed with S3 HB primer and grey Bilgecoat.

The main frame with openings; port side is for the battery and electrical, starboard side is for the fuel / water separator and spare fuel tank. On center line there is a hatch for a utility locker (fenders etc) Routing the hoses as well and forward locker being assembled.

Working on the motor well area.

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:03 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Coming along nicely! The fitout is the fun part! I gotta get out there some day to check 8)

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:27 pm
by justin_dwyer
Looking great Marc, really nice work :D

Looks like you have it all pretty well layed out.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:34 pm
by blueflood
Installing chases in for H2O tubing, fuel tank vent, gas tank compartment vents. I used my HVLP gun to attempt shooting S3 HB primer but it was too thick for the small compressor so that has been re-done with the standard roller way (not shown). I used grey Bilgecoat but should have used white instead. Grey is too dark and looks dirty. I hate that stuff actually, it takes forever to cover nicely and stinks to high heaven. In the gas tank compartment, there is a "channel" for the 1-1/2" fill hose running up to the hull side and under the lounger. 12 gal gas tank is custom built from Atlantic Welding and temporarily located until all the chases are secured.

Smaller chase for ground wire, fuel sender wire and transducer lead leading to the berth area and up to the electrical distribution panel. Side spaces are 100% foamed-in also.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:04 pm
by blueflood
Forward locker installed and will be glassed later on the inside. I should have totally glassed when it was assembled but not yet fitted instead. The locker underside is stiffened with three 1" x 2" since the anchors will be stowed there. Poured the foam in all the voids, right down to the underside. The space under the portable head / berth will also be 100% foamed in. Red layout lines (very faint) on the hull bottom panels where the sole ends and the vertical ones are for the berth lockers. The black lines was the original location point but it did not work out.

Pilothouse sole glued on. Access on deck for water tank direct fill and the other aft (barely visible) is for access to transducer and electrical leads.
There will be a removable step for access to aid in connecting the hoses and check everything once in a while.

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:14 am
by justin_dwyer
Looks like you are making some great progress there Marc.

Looks like fun doing all the fitout :)

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:09 pm
by SP
Your boat is looking great. I like the modifications you have done.

Can you do me a favor?

Could you measure the maximum beam on your boat and post the measurement.

I was going to build the HMD19, but lost my build space, moved to another state and my current shop only has a 7'11"/2413 mm door opening.

I know what the plan says the beam should be, but it would be great to get real world measurements from other builders.

Thanks

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:25 pm
by blueflood
Hi SP,
Sure thing, but this week. I just got back from the cottage and that's where she is. 7"-11" door clear opening is tight !! Mods include longitudinal bulkheads for the full length as you can see and a pile of other custom mods. I will take up-to-date pics as well, more progress since I last posted.

Marc

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:00 pm
by Knottybuoyz
SP wrote:I was going to build the HMD19, but lost my build space, moved to another state and my current shop only has a 7'11"/2413 mm door opening.
Narrow doorway? No problem for a bateau.com builder! 8O

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:49 am
by blueflood
Hi SP,

The max beam as built is 7'-10 1/2" so I am skirting the max legal towing limit and that does not include the rubrails. The biggest modifications are longitudinal bulkheads 1'-0" off CL from frame A to frame E, P&S and lowered the pilothouse deck by 9". I also added a rode locker at the stem and a storage locker under the motor well.

FYI; 12 gal custom aluminum tank, 7 gal water tank and a 3 gal grey water tank. Mercury 9.9 HP Pro Kicker 25" shaft.

Sketches on page 5 show the general arrangement of my custom modifications. Hope this helps ! This is a 4 year build, mostly weekends and some evenings after work because my build window is short (May to September, being outside under a heavy duty shelter)...maybe 5 years :lol:

Marc

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:28 pm
by blueflood
Temporarily installed frame D to check the dimensions from my drawings.

Dry fitting frame A

Pilothouse sole glued with removable step cutout for access. Everything plumbed and wired. Locating the 3 gal grey water tank.

Temporary frame supports screwed on.

I am fed-up of glassing :lol:

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:05 pm
by Cracker Larry
Looking great Marc. Very clean work 8) I'm about fed up with glassing myself. Only a little left to go. We'll get it, one bite at a time.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:28 am
by blueflood
Transom being worked on. Installed the motor well and taping. The corner radii were made with the transom frame as the profile guide then using two filler pieces on the forward side. The space between is filled with epoxy putty then glassed and detailed fairing to be done. Routed a 1/2" radius round-over on both top edges and up the sides. The pic does not show taping but at this stage QuickFair is just about ready to be applied. Motor attachment holes will be done this weekend.

Marc

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:10 pm
by blueflood
More progress but slow...I had to rough install the gauges to keep myself from going in the deep end of epoxying :lol: so this is how it will look eventually :D. Curiosity done so off came the frames which are now being glassed. VHF and depth sounder are above the companionway hatch on centerline.

Working on the transom, fairing and holes for motor mount done (all oversized, epoxy slurry filled then re-drilled for hardware).

Working on the removable step to access the gas tank. I cut the opening larger than the step itself then taped around the step perimeter. The gap is filled with QuickFair. Once cured, the step is removed leaving a clean, even gap all around. I may have to trim the step by a few hairs still; even though there were two layers of tape, it is quite snug and by the time I epoxy and paint it will be too tight :? Lots more work in that area - the inside corners need to be radiused with EZ Fillet and fairing galore to be done.

I was fed up this morning at the cottage not having showered for 3 days. Very wet, hot and sticky humid so all I did was do a big clean-up then left for some running hot water at home to scrub myself with a potato brush 8O

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:54 am
by justin_dwyer
Great looking work Marc, looks like a lot of fun :)

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:34 pm
by blueflood
Hi Justin... hope things are going great for you ! Detailing and fairing is fun...the rough and dirty part - not so much :lol:

Main frame A installed and spot glued. I will finish all the fileting and taping this week but first the sole is removed prior then re-installed and glued / taped following. I will foam under both of those also. The frame is somewhat floppy hence some help to keep it in place. I anticipate finishing the after deck and paint the locker before the cold comes around. The 1" X 4"coaming installed in way of full width cabin bulkhead. Everything forward of it is enclosed; access being via a 1'-9" X 4'-6" door.

Installing cleats on the longitudinal bulkheads

The fuel and electrical chases are cut and ready to install as well.

100% foamed in, a few spots to touch up.

Last sole panel installed. Major milestone :D Aslo installed are the mini soles in both aft compartments. These are also totally foamed below via access holes cut out then plugged over.

Working on the forward anchor rode locker. The panel angles down a few degrees to shed any water via a scupper on the forward end.

The aft deck area panel being doubled-up under the boarding ladder.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:45 pm
by SP
Your build is looking great.

Thank you for posting your beam measurement.

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:08 pm
by blueflood
Well folks, this is it for the year :roll: I managed to do what was on the schedule though and I am happy with that. The main structure is together although I have tons of tabbing and fairing to do next spring. I tried to work wet on wet but only the frames below the decks have been done that way, the rest took too much time to afford me that luxury elsewhere.

Quite a few panels are cut / glassed and ready, those are stacked with the rest of the sheets. Photos show the door, lockers under berth, telescoping ladder location, pilothouse main frame etc... I will re-do the instrument panel; that look does nothing for me.

To recap; frames, longitudinal bulkheads, decks, fuel tank, water tank, chases, tubing, foaming, hull penetrations (a few more to go), rode locker, aft and forward lockers are all done. It was a very busy summer indeed and I will attempt to cut more pieces before the electric heat at the cottage becomes unable to warm the place enough to stay there.

Next year on the book is to fillet, tab, fair....fair and fair :lol: My original time frame was 3 years - changed it this year to 4 now :roll: I am happy that the strongback and the boat itself is still laser spot on level.

Wish I had a shop for winter work :roll: One last pix to go - showing her wrapped up.

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:45 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Helluva Job Marc. You got a lot done and the workmanship looks great. But sad as it is we have to tuck our toys (tools) away for the long cold winter. :cry: I hear Mother Nature has it in for us this year so I'm planning on 3 weeks on a beach in Mexico to shorten the winter have you got any plans?

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:09 pm
by Cracker Larry
Very good looking work Marc 8)
But sad as it is we have to tuck our toys (tools) away for the long cold winter. :cry: I hear Mother Nature has it in for us this year
88F here today. Perfect for the first day of fall :D I don't understand how yall do those winters :doh: The talking fools on TV say that due to overall global warming Mother Nature will bring us a colder winter here this year :?

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:22 pm
by blueflood
Hi Rick,

Thank you Rick, Yep sad indeed and really cannot wait for May-June '15.

Rick, enjoy your free time to recoup in the sunny south, you sure deserve a break ! Our brothers (and sisters ?) will be boat building but we will sip a few cold ones :lol: I plan on dropping by next year to see yours and you are welcome to come by Wolf Lake for a peek - about 35 minutes from downtown at the north end of Gatineau Park. I may take income averaging as well for an additional 5 weeks of vacation time. And if you need stuff at the Chandlery, let me know.

Marc

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:40 pm
by blueflood
Hi CL,

Thank you for your words CL. It passes my QC/QA but there are always things I would have done differently. One thing I learned from my Glen-L build 30 years ago and career in Navy ship design is that I will never have square corners anywhere on a boat and never a joint where two panels butt next to said corner. The panel over the port and stbd lockers at stern is cut from one piece with a generous radius and also the butt joint is 6 inches forward of that corner. Hopefully no stress cracks this time :lol:

Hahaha, that separates the boys from ahemm the men :lol: We try to keep busy Larry, cross-country skiing, inside projects, snowmobile at times. In all honesty, it is a very difficult period because we wake up in the dark and by 4pm it is dark again...with brutal cold spells and wind chills of -40C (-40F). As I get older, tolerance to cold disappears and I am really fed up now. Global warming ?...sure bring it on. I would love palm trees in Ottawa.

Marc

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:36 am
by blueflood
Hi all,

She is all wrapped up for the winter :roll: A long spell before getting back into it. Not in photo but I added 1" X 2" all around the gunwales to stiffen the hull sides; the straps were stressing it somewhat.

Build on guys !

Marc

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:58 am
by justin_dwyer
Hi Marc,

Plenty of time for planning the next stage eh!

Good progress while you had time, look forward to picking up your build next year :)

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:57 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

Yeah...long break but I am cutting some panels in the meantime. Only a few more weeks of reasonable weather here then lock the fence and wait. :roll:

Marc

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:05 pm
by blueflood
Hi all :D

This is my extent of boatbuilding :lol: 3" of wet snow. Keeping an eye on the builds !

Marc
Build-on guys !

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:14 pm
by wildbill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmSV2l6JFt0 Have you seen the clips on swirl painting on you tube ? Cool stuff 8)

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:01 am
by blueflood
Hi wildbill,

Way cool process but too extreme for me. More conservative :lol:

Marc

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:15 pm
by wildbill
I watched one video where the guy filled a trash with water and added different colors of model airplane paint. My electric guitar is the standard black & white; I know what you mean.

Stay warm.

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:53 am
by blueflood
Still doing what I can with Harmony; albeit inside in my apartment :roll: The basic idea in plans - overhead console between the two seats and above the companionway to berth. It houses the Standard Horizon Eclipse VHF radio and the Humminbird depth sounder. I wanted a navy look, almost like a submarine periscope with stainless steel grab bars on either side :P They will be secured to the cabin top longitudinal members.

Marc
Build on !

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:29 pm
by blueflood

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:30 pm
by blueflood
Hi guys,

Before Bateau.com was found on web I was toying with a design, here in model form I built years ago. Same basic characteristics as the HMD19 but was to be built with traditional plank on frame but glad I did not. Stitch and glue rocks ! Attempting to keep more or less on Harmony depending on the available cash.

Build on !
Marc

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:29 pm
by Cracker Larry
Nice :!:

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:50 pm
by justin_dwyer
That is really cool Marc. :D

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:51 pm
by blueflood
Hi all,

Hmm can't be too long now; boat building season is just around the corner :lol: 2 feet up to my knee caps and counting. :roll: Larry, I used snow shoes for the 100 yards dash from the road to the boat :lol:
...but the boat is clear !!

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:42 pm
by Cracker Larry
:help: :help: 8O If I could possibly live up there, I would build an ice boat, that would be fun, but I ain't ever living up there. Not going to happen :help:

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:51 pm
by blueflood
Image :help:

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:59 am
by Corto Maltese
OMG don't show us photo from Winter street :lol:

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:22 am
by Cracker Larry
Spring Street 8O Dang, how do yall live like that? I go stark raving mad.

It's finally spring in GA :D Birds are singing..

Flowers blooming..

GA peach...

And it's still raining, but least the water is liquid and ice is in the cup where it belongs :D

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:03 am
by Walkers Run
blueflood wrote:Image :help:
What's all that white stuff? :lol:

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:03 am
by blueflood
:lol: Believe me, I am contemplating hurling myself off the 21st floor balcony :lol:
Larry...what is that green stuff ?... and those colourful fluffy looking things...and do I see deck boards ?...and shrubs ? I think I will vomit on my shoes now.

Nice going on your build, guys :D

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:51 am
by jacquesmm
Good post Larry.
:D
We used our pool this week-end, 86F!

Now, I wish weather would get better up north so that you can all go back to boat building and order more epoxy!
We can't ship paint to the north because it freezes.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:46 pm
by peter-curacao
Those are some nice birds and flowers Larry, Jacques we use the pool year round :P 8)

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:35 pm
by blueflood
Did some work on Harmony door. More fairing to be done but this is the basic idea; the finish colour will be off-white of course. 8" Beckson port, Perko locking door latch, 3 Seadog plastic hinges and on the inside the port is trimmed with a 3/8" blue rope and 4 brass bands for a bit of a navy look. (that will be siliconed in place and sorry about the focus) I still get a few laughs because the door is only 4'-6" high :lol:

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:08 pm
by selever
Marc,

I really like the door! It has a polished look to it. But since it's only 4.5 ft tall, don't forget to duck! I'm sure it will be exactly right -- I truly love the current finish. Is it just primer? It looks fantastic. :)

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:11 am
by blueflood
Hi selever,

lol thanks. Don't worry about the ducking; not much choice to get inside. The grey is S3 High Build primer and another coat is needed as are spot touch-ups; right now it's still kind of rough.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:02 pm
by blueflood
Whoohooo :D
Cut some panels this weekend. The side decks, upper frame C and doublers. Also traced templates for the pilothouse and cabin tops. Gald to be working on the boat, if not pre-work :wink: Will post pics later next time I go.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:15 pm
by justin_dwyer
Back into it Marc, that is fantastic!!

Your door looks great! :D

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:43 am
by blueflood
Hey Justin, You bet it's great to be back on ! :D

Plan for this season is to finish the tons of putty fillets, taping, fairing and some detail work mostly on the soles and sides. Dry fit structure around the door, start cabin top structure, install the part frames over sole in cockpit, install main frames C and D, drill holes for the self bailing cockpit, install the cleats and coamings, install the side, aft and forward decks and finish the anchor rode locker. Paint the aft locker, forward locker, rode locker, lockers under berth, battery compartment and fuel/water separator compartment with 3 coats of white Bilgekote over S3 primer. I did a list, hope I can stick to it :lol: lots more work than written here.

Last summer I wanted to have the hull structure together before winter and concentrate on the finishing this year. Lots to do this season but that should bring me pretty close to a ready-to-install cabin next year. All the large panels have been cut; that feels great !

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:22 am
by jacquesmm
Good plan.You should be able to finish all that this summer.

If you buy paint in advance, don't let it freeze. We had several reports of water based LPU's (System Three) and Kiwigrip freezing.
That does not apply to the primer, it's an epoxy.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:01 pm
by blueflood
Yes, thank you Jacques. Paint is stored indoor at home and its not getting much below freezing now at cottage. Painting will be done in June...or July...or... :lol: And speaking of S3 High Build Primer, that is the absolute best primer I ever worked with. Being water based is a real big bonus, it fills nicely and cures diamond hard. A bitch to sand tho...

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:08 pm
by jacquesmm
You have to sand that primer the next day. That's here in Florida, you may have a longer time window up north. It gets really hard once fully cured.

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:38 pm
by blueflood
Yes, next time. I applied three coats as per the instructions but waited a full week for some reason :? Good to know for the topsides though. Plus in the bright light I spotted a few areas on the hull sides which will need more fairing. It needed another full coat of primer anyhow. Thanks.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:29 pm
by blueflood
Hey all ! Back on the boat and not a minute too soon. Did big cleanup, erected shelter top and sides, got organized, wood sorted, supplies ordered and ready to go :)
The strong back is still spot on the money X-Y level and so is the boat. Planning the sheer clamps and fine tuning the sheer line. Before all that, I want to confirm my center line for the last time with the marked deck.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:24 pm
by blueflood
Back on Harmony for the last few weeknights and weekends.

Sub assemblies being fabricated; At this stage everything is being dry fitted and tuned. Finicky but enjoyable. Good thing I did my drawings, it would have been a guessing game and doing things on the fly otherwise. I modified the cabin somewhat and that impacted the frame geometry and the side decks. To save weight the main frame B had the third lamination removed because of the addition of the full 1/4" bulkhead at pilothouse. As of now all the remaining panels have been cut and being epoxied. The side decks, aft deck now fit good.

Here the door frame being assembled. Cottage floor is great for layout and gluing :D

The anchor rode locker and center line stiffener with cut-outs for cleat hardware and water drainage at the forward end. Also on the panel is an over-drilled hole / epoxy filled for the anchor rode main attachment point via a U bolt. The hole on the left side is a vent. The sheer clamps are rounded over on visible edges and will be finished later. Temporarily screwed from the outside; I found it much easier to pre-fit and have locating screw holes instead of fiddling with clamps when working solo.

The forward deck dry fitting. That one gave me grief because of the camber and the modifications I did. Fits good now but had to add pieces. The locker panel will be the last piece to go in after filleting and painting inside. An access hatch and one grab bars plus cleat will be affixed.

Basic pilothouse structure dry fitting. Side decks cut and dry-fitting also; they required a little tweaking to fit properly. The cut outs above are for 2 longitudinals 1 foot off centreline.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:58 pm
by jacquesmm
Nice.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:56 am
by justin_dwyer
Looks like you are having some fun there Marc, nice work :D

Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:08 am
by Noles309
Looking good 8)

Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:22 am
by blueflood
Thanks guys...super busy these days spending all of my time at the cottage after work hours to build. No real internet access to upload pics and doing that at work is difficult. More coming up later with laptop when at home for laundry and pick up clean biz clothes for the week. On another note, I do not miss TV...at all :-) Boat building, bass guitar, music, a few smokes, a few beers and solitude in the woods. Life is great. Mosquitoes and black flies - not so great

Marc

Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:07 am
by Cracker Larry
I do not miss TV...at all :-) Boat building, bass guitar, music, a few smokes, a few beers and solitude in the woods. Life is great. Mosquitoes and black flies - not so great
I think you and I would get along real good :D Except you'd throw rocks at my guitar playing :lol:

Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:16 am
by blueflood
Hi Larry,

Lol nope...no rock throwing. Hard enough to play with 4 fat strings and two fingers, let alone 6 strings and a pick; that I could not fathom so kudos.
Wondered if you miss practicing electrical engineering ?

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:24 pm
by blueflood
In town for my 4 days max before a real shower :lol:
Here in the rode locker I am pre-moulding the fillets so when everything is pre-painted this will be the last panel to go in. Will biax the bottom again because of chain chaffing. Bilkecoat white over S3 HBP. Access for hardware is a 4" screw hatch on the face and the deck opening. Wanted a clean look inside :D

Panel removed and presto

Small door...

....big boat :help: :lol:

Marc
Happy long weekend all !

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:52 pm
by Cracker Larry
Small doors are good, keeps ocean out :D Looks real good Marc.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:20 pm
by blueflood
Thanks Larry,

Yes a bit like the US & Canadian Coast Guard MLB 47' Rescue Boat :D. The finicky dry fitting stage and glassing, giving it some life :lol: Lots done but forgot photos. Going back right after the pile of laundry :doh: Recap; everything is square / level, sub assemblies visible edges rounded over 3/16", 1st coat done ready for a few spots of fairing and 2nd coat.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:14 pm
by justin_dwyer
Looks great Marc, it is a big boat :)

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:41 am
by Joe H
Man you bang a lot of work into a few short days, progress looking good, blackflies were terrible up in Northern Michigan last weekend have they subsided there yet?

Joe H

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:06 am
by blueflood
Hi Joe, Justin,

Quite a few parts and sub-assemblies were built before hand so it is simply a matter of tuning and adjusting when dry fitting. Tedious and never ending it seems. I would never be at that stage without drawings - that is the real time saver even though I came accross a few errors. Started in April this year and did all the work inside when too cold out.

She is a tank Justin, wait until you start adding the internal guts :-)

Black flies are not so bad Joe, they suddenly appeared two weeks ago but another two weeks and should be gone; while I think about it, I barely used OFF.

Coming up; install side decks and finish rode locker...

Marc

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:55 am
by blueflood
Hi all,

Lots done on the boat but no photos. I decided to stay at the cottage until fall so my TV cable and internet service at apartment have been put on hold. I have no wi-fi and laptop is on the fritz. Loading photos at work is impossible with the secure system here, even the bateau.com web site is totally fractured and not at all like its suppose to look and behave. Next time I am in town I will attempt to get that done at my brothers' house.

What is done now...cleats for carlins have been glued as are the carlins themselves; side decks glues and biaxed, scuppers drilled, lots of small behind-the-scene stuff, epoxying panels, updated instrument panels, rode locker, sanding...the list goes on.

Nothing works on this damned computer...the image insert tab or the smilies are all inactive. If someone knows another way to upload, let me know.

Marc

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:16 am
by jacquesmm
It must be some security settings on your computer.
For example, if you do not accept cookies, the gallery will not recognize you as a user.
I wonder why the web site looks "fractured".
Which browser do you use and which OS (Mac, Linux, Windows?).

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:56 am
by blueflood
Hi Jacques,

Work has just recently migrated Windows version with a gazillion secure features and that is causing quite a few problems with web sites. Bateau.com is especially tempermental with the endless wait loop spinning. I cannot even paste a screen shot of what I get.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:04 pm
by Noles309
blueflood wrote: Bateau.com is especially tempermental with the endless wait loop spinning. I cannot even paste a screen shot of what I get.
That is fairly common on this site for me as well and always has been, no matter what computer or device I use. I usually open another tab and amuse myself somewhere else until it finally loads. 8)

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:30 pm
by jacquesmm
Is this bateau.com or bateau2.com?
Or the forum?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:49 pm
by Noles309
jacquesmm wrote:Is this bateau.com or bateau2.com?
Or the forum?
The forum for me. It usually hangs up at least once at some point during the day.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:22 pm
by blueflood
Hi Jacques,

Yes, Bateau2.com and the Forum. First time when I log on anywhere I am and also "my gallery" to upload files. Painful wait and sometimes I just give up.

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:47 pm
by blueflood
Hi all,

Finally back into civilization and internet so here is the progress so far...

Small components and sub-structure being fabricated including the pilothouse longitudinals and transverse members. Some cleats, the berth lockers.

Aft end corners built up with backing structure being installed. Also the fuel filter and battery compartments are foamed under deck using cut outs for expansion. 6oz cloth and 3 heavy coats of epoxy applied.

Full length coaming being installed. This was a pain to do solo because of the curvature. 3/4" guides are temporary until glue is set. Not shown but the gunnels have a full length 1" x 1" glued on the underside edge which will be a bearing surface for the coaming. Those were difficult to position and glue on as they needed to be vertical on its length for the coaming to also be vertical.

The forward deck interlocking members.

The forward coaming fabricated by kerfing the front side for easier bending. I used a form until the epoxy glue in the cuts has set. Once glued to the proper location I made templates with a sweeping curve, clamped those on then filled in the space with epoxy putty. It was tricky to pre-fabricate as it is also cambered. Used 6" pine stock with the grain in vertical then traced the correct width using the camber to match and blend with the sides.

First go at fairing with forward deck temporarily installed. Laying out where the outfitting gear goes. That small deck panel was pre-bent by clamping on a form then soaked with hot water and placed in the sun for one week. It kept its shape and was much more easier to put on, although it still did require some coaxing to stay in the right shape. Because the complete forward area was modified, it looks nowhere like the stock plans so it had to be heavily modified.

Pilothouse seat structure glued on and started some fairing. Cooler space under; those are on both sides. I am using full sliding / swivel seat hardware so the structure was lowered a good 3" to fit that. Also took into consideration the seat thickness and to be comfortable when sitting down.

Galley alcohol stove area panels and door structure being assembled.

Galley sink and pump cutouts. Will use 4oz cloth later on.

Second arrangement of the spartan instrument panel. Not too happy with that and may very well redo at some point.

Port side lockable locker cutout.

Anchor rode hatch seat installed and some fairing done. Later I will shave off 1/4" off the top as it is too high and not too keen on the look.

Installing the berth top panel. It was layed out and cut as one single piece so it is fragile at this point but I did not want two or three pieces.

Aft locker under the motor well. All finished and painted with white Bilgecoat. Also applied fat fillets and 12oz biax.

I had a hard time finding a hatch which fit the available space. In retrospect the motor well bottom panel could have been a bit higher. As it is, the hatch is very close to the sole and that bugs me to no end. On the plus side, the opening is big enough for the 5-1/2" diameter fenders to be stowed in there.

Underside of the one piece 1" x 2" pine coaming with 1/4" radius on the outside and fillet on the inside corners. Two coats of epoxy being applied. Actually it is made up of 3 pieces with beveled end joints. I scratched Evan's design in the plans.

Underside of berth lockers. Bulkhead installed and faired.

Forward side of frame D showing the fabricated lockable locker panels, and the compact stowage shelf (both sides)

Anchor rode locker area all faired. The taping is not that bad in real life - the iPhone camera really distorts things but I will never claim to be a Cracker Larry or Justin in that department :lol: That is one part which I can do without.

Second go at the instrument panel. Again I'm undecided on its look :roll: Spent so much time on making the gauge seats too :doh: Leaning towards changing it next year :P Will see how i feel then.

Berth area being faired and sanded.

Pilothouse area being faired and sanded also. Getting sick of sanding.

Overall view from the outside / door. So much work ahead and discouraged at this point. I think another year will be added on the schedule.

Port side battery compartment with battery tray. Painted white Bilgecoat. Should have used something else - not recommending that product.

Starboard side fuel / water separator and spare fuel tank compartment.

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:57 pm
by blueflood
Added the rub rail seat made of 1" x 3" pine, trimmed with a shallow angle on the bottom edge. Glued to the hull sides so the top edge gives a little detail being angled down from the deck. Also a cutout at the coaming by the boarding side as not to present a tripping hazard. Not too sure what the actual rub rail will be made of at this point.

The aft coaming is also faired with the sides. Happy the way it turned out.

The rub rail seat is glued on just proud of the deck, maybe 3/16" higher so the top edge would give me a true and fair guide to draw the trowel and fairing putty. The ends are also beveled for a proper woodworking joint.

Dry fitting the outfitting gear, the companionway door and hatch.

Dry fitting the cabin structure.

For the scuppers, I made a mould from RTV with the plugs made from standard marine plastic plumbing fittings modified to suit the hole diameters. I then poured epoxy, let them cure then removed the 12 copies. Time saver to make rather than machine individually and besides, I could not find anything on the market which was suitable.

The overhead VHF radio enclosure with stainless steel grab bars. Cool :D

Gauges from the forward side. This will be changed later.

Pilothouse from outside. Again...changes coming up. I want the look in my head and this is not it :roll: :lol:

Aft deck area being worked on. 12oz biax applied with 2 coats.

So this is it for the year guys; ready to be wrapped up again :help: :roll: It was a busy season but next year should be even more hectic. Keep on the build !

Marc

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:30 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Wow! That's a lotta really nice work Marc. I am impressed! 8)

What paint are you using for inside the lockers etc.? I really like the combing around the cockpit or is that called an inwale? Nice detail. Clean work too! Not lime my messes! :lol:

Are you done working on it for the season?

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:21 pm
by peter-curacao
WOW! I'm speechless very very nice work ! 8) 8) 8)
This one makes me curious

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:22 am
by Cracker Larry
Beautiful work :!: :!:

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:44 am
by terrulian
I don't know where to start with all those photos.
Early on there is a plastic jig to create a radius that looks brilliant and I thought it was perhaps a router jig but the clamp is in the way, so you must have used some other tool. Another wonder is the VHF and accompanying gauge installed in a box which is apparently mounted on a stainless rod. Never seen that arrangement. Very creative work there. :D

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:56 am
by topwater
Real nice work 8) I am wondering what the the foam mold and epoxy rings are for , great idea using foam
for the molds.

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:20 pm
by blueflood
haha...all the construction information has been moved on the previous page.

Marc

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:25 pm
by blueflood
Hi guys,

While not building, I had to re-do the electrical. More planning for no surprises later on so I spent the last week drawing and laying out the schematics, everything as per ABYC, USCG. Better not be anything smoking in there :roll: Need to triple check everything.

Marc

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:33 pm
by glossieblack
Impressive and methodical work. 8)

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:08 pm
by blueflood
Hi glossieblack,

Thank you...it took quite a bit of shifting around but now I have a better picture. I want things clean and organized for safety. The VHF radio, compass and GPS are all removable now, so happy about that. The wires going through frames or structure will have a rubber grommet on either side with the required clips, wraps. Thought of adding a secure rattle-free basic tools and flashlight high-viz tool bag in the free space :lol:

I get the electrical thing but being more mechanically inclined, it scares me :roll: :lol: Not tangible enough I guess.

Marc

Harmony HMD19

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:20 pm
by blueflood
Hi guys,

Since re-doing the electrical I found that the Depth Sounder initially located next to the VHF in the overhead enclosure had to move because it is not at all readily accessible. I want the GPS, Compass and VHF to be removable (theft) and that presents a few problems; so I need to relocate the DS to a better location.

The first photo is the existing arrangement while the second shows the layout I am contemplating. Sketch is another showing it on top but that looks too much like a muscle car :cry: even though easier to make; the sides are angled out. I think "topwater" had a sweet looking full width angled face on his boat...that is another option to consider.

Marc

Hence my question...how does that look ? Does it look too artsy or weird or WTF ? My brother said "stooopid" looking. What does he know :lol:

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:18 pm
by pee wee
I like the full width angled idea best, it would be a cleaner look and allow you to change up things in the future more easily.

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:55 pm
by justin_dwyer
Your boat looks so good Marc, love that rubrail :D

You are way more organised than me, I wish I could be that organised and planned.

I'd go with the one that stick up off the dash.

Cheers

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:25 am
by Cracker Larry
Full width angled face for sure. It will give much more flexibility and look better too.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:32 am
by blueflood
Thanks for your input guys,

I will need to re-jig this come build time. The only potential obstacle going the full width angled face is the tach needs to be as far away from the compass (recall reading some interference issues between the two :?: ) and since the top curves down at the side, I may not have enough room for the larger diameter tach. Will see when I get there...I should not have been so hasty with what I did - lots of surgery coming up regardless what layout it is :roll:

Marc

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:39 am
by topwater
Blueflood here's a couple of shots of the steering bulkhead for some ideas

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:51 am
by blueflood
Hi John,

Too funny, I just asked the same related question on your build two minutes ago :lol:
Need close-ups at different viewing angles :wink: I may use your layout as a starting point for mine. What is its height on the starboard side ? Enough space for a 3" tach ? And also, the face angle you have used ? Curious to see what you did at the transition where the frame inside radius blends with the angled face.

Marc

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:14 am
by topwater
Marc as far as the angle the face goes i just eyeballed it to what i thought looked good. You don't have to follow the same
angle as the top edge of the bulkhead you could just make it straight , i liked the way it looked with the same curve.
I will go out and take some closer pic's and some measurements and post later on today.
John

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:29 am
by blueflood
Hi John,

Thank you much ! Appreciated. Yes most of my cruising will be done standing up so I want a good view of the gauges (realizing I am not flying a plane :lol: ) Still, when I saw your panel for the first time a few years ago, I said this is what I want but was not 100% convinced...and of course two years later, out comes the saw and sander to re-modify the whole shebang.

Marc

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:08 pm
by topwater
Here you go , the dimensions are 15" by 7" at the wide side and 4" or 5" at the small side. Looks like i cut off the tape measure in the pic.
Hope this helped.
John

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:43 pm
by blueflood
Hi John,

Hats off 8) Impressed indeed ! I see the details, do you mind if I copy on my boat ? Small differences I will include but essentially the same overall. My compass and GPS will stay as is and tons of space to play with the gauges :P I want a gas / propane / alcohol detector so there is my opportunity.

Once again, thank you for your time John. Glad we connected, I had lost track of your build but I remember keeping an eye on it when I started mine. Something to aspire to.

Thank you guys and when I take the saw to the bulkhead I will remember that rule; no matter how much planning you do - back to the drawing board :lol:

Marc

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:50 am
by topwater
Marc fell free to use whatever you want. I had to take 6 months off on the boat when i moved to florida
and had to find a new house but i am back at now.
John

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:24 pm
by blueflood
Thanks much John, no sense reinventing the wheel - I see all the add-ons in yours :D I think I will have a small visor on the top edge, like a helicopter instrument panel :lol: (a slow one)

Marc

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:20 pm
by blueflood
Still at it 8O This is the hopefully the final cabin layout. I debated long and hard on those windows; the second after I got the plans :lol: It gets really hot and humid here during the summer so I went for vinyl / canvas. Being cooped in surrounded by acrylic got a resounding thumbs down. So they will be full length, maybe roll up from outside with those quick clips to shut them. The fabricator says I can install a rain guard so I will need to get more info.

Sketching some ideas on DYI rain guards just in case. The front and back are 3/16" tinted. Two Beckson 6" tinted ports and a larger clear port on the rear cabin door. Ideally I would like a tilting front window, at least on the pilot's side :? Cabin rear is full-width 1/4" ply with the two small windows on either side of door, looking in galley. I may add an spare extra 10" Beckson port on the port side only between the two frames. Two Bomar 16" hatches and a solar powered 24/7 vent over the head.
Build on,

John, if you happen to read this, not sure what your end product will look like; what about the rain getting in situation ?
Are yours similar to this ?

Marc

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:01 pm
by Fonda@kauai
It gets pretty humid here in the islands too and airflow in the cab is essential. Those Bomar hatches will add a lot 8) My buddy has one in the cab of his Force 21 and it makes all the difference. Good call :D

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:09 am
by topwater
Marc the sides of my pilot house are pretty wide open i should get plenty of airflow .
The roll up windows will be the same size as the opening with about 3" sunbrella fabric around the edges
for the snaps and the top will slide into a aluminum track . hard to explain. The clear vinyl will have a
zipper around three sides like a U so when you open the window you just unzip and roll the clear part
the sunbrella stays snapped to the sides . That way you dont have to mess with snaps every time you
open a window plus it's faster to open and close. As far as drains i am not using any , i have pretty good
overhangs .If it rains straight down should not be a problem but it rarely does so just zipper the window close.
This is the best side shot showing window area.
Hope this helps
John

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:55 am
by blueflood
Hi John, thanks :D :idea: Love your layout ! That is the system the fabricator also pointed out, I thought it was super clever 8) The boat stays put so he will have to work from templates but I can assemble on site, even better. Also great because the way I have it now, the electronics would have been exposed to the weather. So using that super efficient system between the main frames. Perfect No fuss, no muss.

Your navigation light fairings 8) I located those on the forward cabin sides on a similar fairing. Small details like those add a lot :wink: Have Aqua Signal series 20, sharp angled modern design in black.

Fonda@kauai, wish I were in the tropics; it only lasts 2-3 months then it's back to cool :roll: May have to find a heat source later.

Updated instrument panel (thanks John)...I want a shallow visor to make it my own but I need to physically see what is going on first. The top edge may be horizontal or curved, not sure yet. It all depends on how things look. Can never have enough gauges :D

I cannot afford custom widows so mine will be home made. This is the final design, not sure if using plastic or aluminum barrel nuts yet - black or bright. 1/8" X 3/4" Butyl tape bonding both surfaces requires a mechanical bond because it ever so slowly creeps yet can withstand hurricanes.

Because of the cabin's curved sides, I need fasteners so they won't peel away. I will supply templates to fabricator - 3/16" light grey tint, UV and scratch resistant. I forget if it's Lexan or something else. Flame polished on edge. I will spray paint black (Krylon makes a great and diamond hard paint for plastics BTW, have it on abused kayak paddle and not a scratch :!: ) a 3/4" wide "trim" around the window to give the assembly a heavier framed look. The 3/8" or 1/2" D solid section rubber trim on perimeter; looking at a few options - SBR, Neoprene, EPDM etc but Duro 50 at least, not foam - will help in water tightness. 3M black 4200 under. All small holes will have to be epoxied and silicone the hole area of each screw assembly. I looked at a recess, heavier navy looking clips and a few other securing methods - this was the simplest but effective design I could muster - it is a long process effort-wise :roll: During travel, I will make use of rough plywood window protectors.

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:43 am
by topwater
I wish i had your talent for drawing :!: Nice drawings. Make sure you over drill your holes for the windshield
you dont want to crack anything . I think if you look up Fastlanes P 21 build he did something similar for the
windshield.
John

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:07 am
by blueflood
Hi John thanks. Rough sketches only. No biggy...I couldn't catch a fish if my life depended on it :lol:

I will look for that build, see how they turned out. Yes the plexi will have over-sized holes, 5/16++" for the 1/4" barrels. Should be enough for expansion / contraction. And the barrel nuts need not be screwed over-tight, Butyl tape has quite the holding power.

Edit...checked out Lane's build; too much hassle to route the perimeter :lol: but thumbs up on the black band thing.

Marc

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:27 pm
by justin_dwyer
topwater wrote:I wish I had your talent for drawing Nice drawings
I was going to say the same thing. :D

Looking great Marc.

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:32 pm
by blueflood
No interest yet in sanding the sub-structure that I brought home for winter :lol: Final layout. Nothing spectacular but it is practical. The small GPS chart plotter will be mounted at eye level somewhere on the window frame. Spent way too much time on this :lol: but since I have some time, may as well be productive.

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:02 pm
by justin_dwyer
That will look good Marc :D
Certainly looks good in the drawing!!

I might have to hire you to draw some stuff up for me, swap trips :wink:

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:41 am
by glossieblack
Lovely detailed designing Marc. 8)

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:12 am
by topwater
Marc you are taking it to next level :!: I just cut a hole and mocked some stuff up and glued it in.
I thought i was anal :lol:

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:22 am
by blueflood
Hi guys,

Thank you, it will have to do :lol: yep kind of a bit too much effort spent on a 1 square foot piece in a 18.5 foot boat - my buds in the drawing office have a term for that - spider wanking :lol:

I just cannot sit idle - have to do something. But, I had forgotten how to draw a (mini) lines plan so good practice to figure out the saw cut line :D There is still something fishy going on the right side at the main frame. Will have to see when there.

Marc

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:26 am
by Knottybuoyz
blueflood wrote:....I just cannot sit idle - have to do something. .....
Always wondered what you did at work all day! :lol: Now I know! :wink:

Good job Marc. If you want to add a high tech look I have some blue carbon fiber material you could laminate over the dash panel. Looks something like this.

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:40 am
by blueflood
Hi Rick,

:lol: :lol: Hmm, I said too much :lol:

Thank you for the offer Rick that would look complementary; but..the corners are all fat fillet so I would not know where to cut it ? Maybe a 1/4" before the tangent. On the upside it would be less bright than the off-white - a darker contrasting background colour. I was going to paint the underside flat black actually. The gauges are black faces / trim with white and blue ink...I have some thinking to do... :lol:

How is the weave anyhow ? Light like 6oz ?

Marc

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:28 pm
by Knottybuoyz
blueflood wrote:How is the weave anyhow ? Light like 6oz ?
It's a really flat weave and stiff. Very nice for laminating on flat surfaces. It's what I want to do with my dash panels.

Send me your snail mail address and I'll send you out a small piece. rick.laporte.1960 (at) gmail.com

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:10 am
by blueflood
Hi all,

A slight setback 8O Like Maxwell Smart used to say...."Missed it by that much..." A 60 foot section decided to come down.
No damage to boat but those 9 trees remaining on the side are coming down today then move the boat 50 feet ahead. Those are close to 120 feet tall...Thinking about it; if anyone has a 55 gallon drum of Agent Orange to unload, let me know as I am considering defoliating the damned place.

Marc
And just this last week I took a course in Project Management ; Risk Assessment and Risk Mitigation :lol: :lol:

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:11 am
by Knottybuoyz
Oh Shit! That was close! 8O

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:10 pm
by blueflood
Prior to the tree incident I was at this point and started season No. 3; slight change of plans early on. Had 9 trees cut down so that delayed the build.

As for the internal fabrication this season, another huge modification to the boat besides lowering the pilothouse sole by 9" and adding two full length longitudinal bulkheads was the complete cabin geometry. The aft end was widened outboard 3" port and stbd and the cabin front moved inboard 2" or so for more secure footing on deck. That changed the main frame (also removed one 3/8" lamination out of three in the plans and widened the complete frame) which affected the roof, the cabin top and the sides - pretty well everything and took an awful lot pre-planning. I also wanted a continuous coaming unlike Evan's joggle side deck design and a closed cabin.

Dry fitting of the cabin structure to make sure everything is were it's suppose to be with the right angles, all level and on the CL then commit to gluing.

Fitting the cabin sides. Just a bit of trimming because of all the changes I made.

Initial fairing and adding the extra details. The end pieces are 1x2 pine, rabbeted into the cabin sides and laminated with 1/4" ply. The extra piece was needed because I added a full width bulkhead to close off the cabin and wanted that area to be sturdy.

Cabin structure. The interior is 2 coats epoxy only and the exterior has 4oz cloth.

Front view with the 4 longitudinals members trimmed flush with the panels, glued, taped and faired.

Filleting the window panels to cabin top. Using fat fillets throughout and 12 oz biax on the outside.

The side window openings being worked on. For the upright mid piece I added a precut 1-1/2" strip with 4 glued-on triangular pieces on the ends. These were trimmed and radiused after everything was glassed using 4oz cloth on the cabin. Where I joggled the jig saw, it was easier to re-fair the cut line using small strip duct taped and clamped then back filled with epoxy putty. I filled in the low spots only until the cut line was true. This method is used all over the boat where the cut line is not to my liking.

Large 1" radius fillets all around.

Damage control then moving boat to new safer location.

I beefed up the cradle with heavy duty dock hardware and carriage bolts then pulled her a good 60 feet ahead with my compact 2 litre Suzuki did the job. Used winch cables to tow.

In her new home, third and final cosmetic surgery on the instrument panel area. The previous two arrangements were too plain and was not totally happy with the way they looked so went for something more traditional and similar to Topwaters' panel with my own twist. Also the gauges grew from 3 to 6 :D Sheathed with 4 oz cloth after.

Installing the forward hatch seat. 1/4" ply glued on the perimeter then inside cut to fit the hatch. The opening was cut too big - the screws were too close to the edge so I used the hatch insert as a dam to fill in the extra space with putty. Snug fit now.

Bomar Low Profile Series 900 plastic tinted hatch with bug screen - this one will have a Nicro 24/7 vent fitted, two 24" handrails and Beckson tinted ports in the cabin. The lunch anchor will be located and stowed on deck ahead of the window instead of the cabin front.

From the start, I did not want flat cabin sides but wanted to include details like relief and profile. One problem were the windows having 3 or 4 different option designs over the years and how to make them. Originally they were to be 3/16" Lexan with a small port but I really wanted full openings so ended up like what Topwater is using - marine vinyl snap on with roll up from the inside so I had to design around those. For the cabin side relief detail, I cut 1/4" ply strips shaved down to 3/16" x 1/2" wide, then glued as a complete unit. I had laser'd the level line, positioned then glued / clamped with epoxy and filler until cured. It took four rounds of fairing to get it ok. Shooting Monstaliner on the hull but still, I wanted to take some time to fair properly.

Second contrasting coat going on. After this stage the fairing is done with thin layers of Quick Fair, 80 grit rough sanding in between.

Added a cove detail on top edge with QF.

4oz cloth on the exterior, 12oz biax taping on the corners, cloth trimming, sanding and fairing the sides.

12oz biax on the frame / side joint. The top of that frame is cut per plans, it is only a narrow band and it is sheathed with 12oz on both sides and to the roof to stiffen it.

Pilothouse arrangement showing the bi-fold door to the berth in the closed and opened configuration. It will fold over itself as an option and secured with a small magnet and also will be held totally closed shut with a magnet. The hatch will be help up with a standard small door latch or a magnet TBD.

Construction details also include navigation light fairings to have the lights parallel to the centreline for the correct USCG rules. Those were done using 1/4" ply cut to shape copied from the Aqua Signal Series 20 model, duct taped on the inboard side for putty release then temp affixed level and to the correct location. Used really thick filler then sculpted and faired until it matched the light back side enclosure. A few dings to repair later.

Bug-eyed :lol: Danforth lunch anchor will be relocated on cabin top instead. Only one grab bar on the starboard side, anchor rode compartment hatch and a centerline cleat forward. Will have two chocks also and rub strakes.

Long board final sanding over grey primer guide coat. The bulk is done with only a few areas to touch up later.

Using the self leveling properties of epoxy to make the hinge seat for the companionway hatch. The dam is rough, only duct tape on wood strips and loosely clamped on cabin top. The thickest areas on the ends are only 3/16" tapering to almost nothing on centreline.

Final arrangement still some clean-up to do and dings to fix. When I pre-fabricated the hatch, I left it smaller to give me room to adjust later when the structure was finally assembled. Added a small strip on the forward side and also on the stbd side to give an even gap all around. The hatch rests on two 1/4" dowels slightly protruding from the structure when closed. Sea Dog plastic hinges fitted.

Added 18" hand rails port and starboard. The boat is big and need as much help to handle her.

Applied 12 oz biax over rub rail member. The side and front / aft deck areas also has 12 oz applied prior to the cabin sides going on. Heavy duty areas. Still debating on the rub rails and how to make or what to buy.

Installing the GPS / chart plotter seat. I foamed in between it and the existing cabin top to avoid that "hollow" sound. The unit will be removable, as is the compass and VHF radio.

Final instrument panel. Not touching it any more after 3 different looks.

Teleflex Eclipse gauges :D including fuel, tach, voltage, gas and hour meter, a Humminbird HDR 650 depth sounder / XFM 920 thru-hull transducer and Marine Technologies SA-1 fume detector. Standard Horizon Eclipse GX1300 VHF radio up above on roof centreline, Ritchie S-53 compass in front and a Lowrance Elite 4 GPS chart plotter in the corner. Mercury controls and Teleflex Safe-T Q steering gear to dry fit coming up. Blue Sea 6 position electrical distribution panel goes in the square opening.

Gluing the roof panel. Using 2 x 4's temporarily screwed and set parallel and equidistant to the roof centerline. Everything level and true with the straps pulling it down snug. Waited a few days before taking those off.

Looking forward and cabin structure. Blue tape as a reminder to duck. Working on the galley area at this stage dry-fitting the shelves, sink and pump tubing and other bits. The two small holes on the stbd panel is where the stainless steel folding foot step will be to help in entry and exit off the boat. The side deck / gunnels are a bit high so this will be more comfortable stepping onto the deck.

Before installing the roof, all the holes for wires were drilled in the frames. Rubber grommets where the wires pass thru.

Filleting the roof underside. It was a PITA to biax tape upside down - wasted one strip when it got unstuck and fell.
Trimming the roof line to give it some profile as it was not complementary with the new look, it also needed a rain guard and I wanted to make it look heftier; thought 1/4" ply was a bit thin. So I added a 3/8" x 3" doubler all around the perimeter tapering towards the back to drain past the window openings, also it gives something to grip while monkeying on deck. The aft end has one as well. Originally the side piece ended at that little joggle but decided to extend it more aft; you can see the added pieces and fairing putty completing the assembly.

Spray deflector is made with an angled 1/2" pine wood strip with a shallow cut for a drip edge. There is just a small space between it and the vinyl windows.

8" Aqua Signal LED fold down anchor light seat on roof top. Also the fold over curtain seats. I wanted to be able to use the porta head outside but with some privacy around so a light U frame with curtain will be installed. When not in use, the U frame will hinge forward around the roof hatch with the light curtain stowed inside.

Roof doubler on the front end. All the fairing was done and 6oz applied in that area by the time I wrapped up for the season.

This is the roof top final look with cutouts and some profile. It is certainly more practical for me and a bit more stylish.

The doubler on perimeter extending aft. Originally it stopped at the joggle but I found the rain would drip on the window so I added a piece and faired in the transition with putty. The doubler is 3" wide in front and tapers to about 1" going aft. On the aft end of pilothouse top, the rain guard doubler is around 1" wide throughout.

Fitted two 36" SS hand rails on pilothouse top, the gas tank vent, also a waterproof gland for the VHF antenna cable thru the roof. The rain guards on the aft side and the opening (each side) to let the rain stream and wash over clear of the vinyl windows.

The VHF radio enclosure was relocated about 3" forward for the stainless steel grab bars to be in line with the frame. The initial grab bar holes on the longitudinals were filled in then the longits were re-drilled to fit the new location. The circle cut-out, now filled with a patch was for the depth sounder which is now on the instrument panel so the mic will be clamped on there instead. Also added a piece on the window opening tops since it took so much adjustment to the panels and where the longitudinals passed through, that a big chunk of ply had to be trimmed off, leaving too little :roll: Now there is a good 3" on top and all around.

Front roof top curvy lines instead of the straight look from the plans. All in all, the roof panel is narrower by about 2" on each side, a good 2" shorter on the aft side and the front is also cut back from the centreline and curved back along its width. Totally modified from the plans.

Pilothouse panels 1/4" ply being templated and cut. Window cutouts as well leaving 3" around any structure.

The door opening will be trimmed with a flush router bit and rounded over once the panels are glued on. Last of epoxying to do on those yet.

Removable lounger seat to access the heavy battery in the compartment on port side. Space was tight under there also so it needed to be removable. It will be held down with rubber T latches. I used standard woodworking joints all over the boat. rabbets, bevels, dados etc.. The lounger is build and stiffened as such because it will be used as a step when the ladder is in use, I don't want it to fall apart under shock when people are stepping to and from.

The galley area with sink and water pump. Also a 3 gal grey water tank which is required. It will be secured with straps and vented out. A few shelves for stowage added. The other side has the alcohol stove and shelves plus a garbage bin. Planning on stowage for dishes, cutlery etc...not too sure where these will be located yet but bought all the stowage gear.

Added a stowage shelf on the starboard side for misc items. Ahead is the rescue throw bag and spare rope area. Everything in its place and out of the way, Navy like :lol:

Spare 3 gal fuel tank and 2 emergency telescopic paddles secured under the lounger. Another spare fuel tank will be stowed in the fuel / water separator for a total of 6 spare gallons + the 12 gal in the permanent tank. I can bring those spare tanks when needed for long trip safety margin.

In the berth area there is the anchor and misc items locker. 12 pound overnight plow anchor and a lighter 2 pound danfort type lunch anchor. Lots of storage space under the berths also.

I really can't afford custom stainless handrails like Raymond so I am going with the same types used all over. Something to hang fenders and BBQ, also for some safety. There will be 4 in total on the 2 aft deck areas straddling the motor well.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:15 pm
by blueflood
Apart from the windows, the rub rail was another fitting which made me change my mind with many options and attempts since the beginning. Nothing on the market would work with the angle bends at the bow and aft sides so those areas are made of wood / epoxy. For the sides I will be using a material called UHMW or HDPE, depending on local availability. Both are super resistant to abuse and can be procured UV treated. It will be cut in strips and screwed to the rubrail seats with a small aluminum flat bar for detail being inset along the length. Everything can be changed out if it gets too damaged. The corners will be painted black only.

So here she is after this build season. 3 years in now and hopefully painting by the end of next summer. No more panels to cut but still some epoxying to roll on a few and a ton of fairing to go. Wish I had planned my life a bit better and have a shop like most of you guys. Working on her for only 5-6 months at a time if weather cooperates is demoralizing.

... and nowhere to go :roll: :lol:
Happy build

Marc

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:19 pm
by Jeff
Blueflood, nice progress!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:19 pm
by Fuzz
Beautiful well thought out work and a lot of it too :!:
Reading your last posts I am amazed at all the work and neat details you put in this season.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:25 pm
by peter-curacao
Awesome work very detailed and curvy lines great job great surroundings also must be peaceful building a boat in the woods 8) 8)

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:15 pm
by Cracker Larry
Fantastic detail 8) Wow, that looks good!

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:11 pm
by Knottybuoyz
You made amazing progress this year (short season) Marc. Well done. Now hurry up and finish so you can help me with mine! :lol: Just kidding.

Stay warm this winter.

Cheers Mate!

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:49 pm
by justin_dwyer
Hi Marc, That is some amazing work. You have a real eye for detail.
That will be a great boat to camp on when you have finished.

You have given me some great ideas for mine too :)

Take is easy.
Justin

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:35 pm
by willg
Dang, you've been busy. Very nice detail all around. Congratulations are due!

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:06 pm
by cape man
Awesome. Just awesome.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:05 am
by blueflood

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:05 am
by blueflood
Thank you guys, appreciated !

I have to say; I don't know how you guys who are building boats longer than 19 feet can keep up the drive, especially in the south. At age 58, it was skirting the "too much for me" stage. This is really a two person job or one person job during a long and relaxed retirement with no real timeframe. At the onset my splash was to be 3 years away but now it has grown to 5 or 6. Having done all the drawings prior to the inside detailing was a bonus, no guess work and no build-on-the-fly plus having the sub-assemblies prefabricated during down time helped. Everything fitted ok with only small adjustments so kudos to the big-boat builders, I feel your pain - never mind CL who has built more than one 8O yikes

Peter, the area is nice with those massive trees but I almost lost the boat :lol: :doh: and now they all have been cut :roll:
Nice project you are working on BTW 8)

Justin buddy, knock yourself out on the ideas, Topwater gave me a few so it all goes around :wink:
...and get to it; want to see some progress :lol:

Rick, I had the intention of visiting this season but got moving along at ramming speed; so next summer.

For any potential HMD19 builders out there; plan ahead in the details department if you wish to build anything more elaborate than the basic design. This boat can be customized a million ways so have fun with it. On the financial side, it is built & outfitted the way I wanted and that came with a price tag. $22K at this point, probably $8K more in the next two years for the windows, trailer, paint, steering, controls, cushions and various bits and pieces. On the material side it took 23 gallons of epoxy considering the heavy modifications and two or three 3/8" and two 1/4" additional ply sheets.

Excel spreadsheet on material.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Marc

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:31 am
by Parkrat
Wow.. simply amazing on the details. 8O

I'm in Texas and can't imagine working up there with the cold, bugs, no running water, etc. Props to you man... 8) Looks like you have plenty of motivation. lol

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:29 am
by topwater
Marc it's about time you posted some pic's , thought you switched to a stealth build 8) Work looks awesome as allways .
love all the small details. Build on :!:
John

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:55 am
by blueflood
:lol: :lol: No John, very limited iPhone service in the woods and can't upload at work either.

Parkrat, the grass is greener on the other side thing :roll: it would be way too hot for me anywhere south of the New England states :help:

Marc

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:20 am
by Parkrat
Marc, that's funny. It would be too cold for me anywhere north of the Texas/Oklahoma border. :lol:

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:31 am
by justin_dwyer
blueflood wrote:Justin buddy, knock yourself out on the ideas, Topwater gave me a few so it all goes around
...and get to it; want to see some progress
Just for you Marc :wink:
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=380

Cheers

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:40 am
by blueflood
Parkrat wrote:Marc, that's funny. It would be too cold for me anywhere north of the Texas/Oklahoma border. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:11 pm
by glossieblack
Wow, I've just spent nearly an hour digesting the wide spectrum of classy details you've executed Marc. All in all, a very impressive season's work. The boats coming along beautifully. Congratulations. :D

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:06 am
by blueflood
Hi Michael, yeah sorry lots of pix and very little explaining :roll:

That was very poetic :lol: It took some time to get there with a few "re-do" along the way. The way it's detailed has been in my head for a long long time even before I got the plans. A model or drawings just did not cut it; had to build the real thing. Evan's design is so adaptable as are all the other Bateau offerings. It would have been impossible without and also without you guys to encourage along.

Build on !
Marc

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:30 pm
by blueflood
Doing a clean-up and found these. My 15 foot canoe, a slightly modified Hiawatha design from Canoe Craft is now over 25 years old and needs to be re-sheathed. For some reason the 6 oz and WEST epoxy started to delaminate in long sheets from the cedar. Not sure what happened over the years :doh: It took an awful lot of abuse tho and spar varnishing every 2 years is a pain. One side is now bare...will have to start thinking about repairing soon; like I have time for another boat project. :help:

First boat built with a buddy. This was the 11 foot TNT from Glen-L, traditional plank on frame and fitted with an 18hp Mercury. We exchanged the carburetor from a 25hp and slapped it in if I recall. It became a scary rocket. It was also then I found speed was not my thing :help: Plus it was never really totally finished - we argued so many times about it; that was the last duo project ever undertaken. Also the last time building a plank on frame boat and have square internal corners where stress cracks formed. The deck panels should have had a radius instead, or have the butt joint past the corners, if anything. After a summer of use here, he took it down to Florida for a summer then sold it there.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:04 pm
by Joe H
Marc,
Love those Canoes!
We are digging out of the snow here today, guys are already ice fishing behind my house on the canal , your boat looks great and all snug for the winter!
Stay warm.
Joe H

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:56 pm
by blueflood
Hi Joe, hope things are good !
Yes, nice designs and relaxing to use when an ultra quiet serene paddle on the lake is called for. This one is really fast and turns on a dime. I shaved down the keel 1/4" proud of the hull and it goes 8) Great for dual paddling in creeks and moderate chop but not for long distances over large choppy lakes. Solo is fun but I would rather be paddling with my girl who can anticipate. The book https://www.bearmountainboats.com/produ ... craft-book is really nice as well, offering many traditional models. Going up tomorrow to clean off the boat, there must be 2 feet on her already plus freezing rain tonite - not too good for the tarps. Stayed inside today...it's tough.

Marc

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:02 pm
by blueflood
Hi all, Happy New Year :D Look outside....blizzard happening :roll:

Marc

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:05 pm
by Jeff
Nice Marc!! Happy New Year!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:34 am
by Walkers Run
Happy new year.

I just got all caught up on you progress last season. Very impressive! You've certainly put in the hours away from the boat working out the details.

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:26 am
by blueflood
Hey Walkers Run ! Thanks...can't wait to get back on it :roll: Practicing making knots with my eyes closed these days :lol:

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:58 am
by blueflood
WHOOOOHOOOOO. Cover back on the shelter, cleaned up a bit and back on the horse :D Not a minute too soon either. Man, what a brutally long winter this has been. Still some snow at the cottage, bugs are not out yet, lake is thawing but life is good.
Marc

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:03 pm
by MrPaul
That Corona is a long way from home!

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:12 pm
by blueflood
...and it went down so good :D

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:33 am
by glossieblack
Marc, any chance of you posting pics progressively this summer? Your's is such a fascinating and quality build. :D

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:43 am
by narfi
What are the dimensions of your shelter?
What has your experience been working under it?

I have been looking at different options and about decided to get this one,
http://www.solarhome.org/shelterlogic80 ... rgrey.aspx

But curious of other people's experiences and needs/expectations.

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:50 am
by blueflood
Hi guys,

glossieblack..."fascinating and quality build" Hmm you sure you are referring to mine :lol:

Yes I am already on the boat but barely - major flood in Ottawa after unreal amount of constant weeks-long downpours. Never seen it rain like that, ever. It is also too cold still but warming up gradually. At this point ALL the panels, anything to cut has been cut and epoxied so it is really to the point of final adjusting and fairing before hopefully painting by the end summer. Will post photos as soon as more stuff is done.

narfi; The 12 X 24 foot shelter is from Shelter Logic bought from Global Industrial in the US. These are super sturdy with 2" tubing. The material thickness itself is adequate as it lasted 4 seasons in the sun but a new heavy duty "roof" tarp was just bought because of small leaks in the original one. I'll lay it on top the other (this also insulates against the oppressive sun) The length is fine but I could have used another 2 feet on the width.

All in all - very pleased with it. I think around $750 if I recall and the two "ends" were bought ($250) after. Not cheap for something temporary but this was my only option being in the country and no garage. Highly recommended if others are in the ( :D ) same boat. If need be, any panel can be unsecured or removed to ventilate / provide more light.

Marc

Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:15 am
by glossieblack
blueflood wrote: ↑Wed May 10, 2017 10:50 am Yes I am already on the boat but barely - major flood in Ottawa after unreal amount of constant weeks-long downpours. Never seen it rain like that, ever. It is also too cold still but warming up gradually. At this point ALL the panels, anything to cut has been cut and epoxied so it is really to the point of final adjusting and fairing before hopefully painting by the end summer. Will post photos as soon as more stuff is done.Marc
Looking forward to progress pics Marc. I love your well thought through detailed design, and execution of same. The results speak for themselves.

Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:49 am
by topwater
Let's go Mark it's spring even in the great white north , it's time to get back at it :!:

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:56 am
by blueflood
Hey John, nice to hear from you ! Yep, I'm back at it finally and will post some pix soon. Same 'ol sanding, epoxying for now :roll: Progress though - going forward.

Marc

Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:48 pm
by glossieblack
blueflood wrote: ↑Tue May 16, 2017 4:56 am .... I'm back at it finally and will post some pix soon. Same 'ol sanding, epoxying for now :roll: Progress though - going forward.
Looking forward to a progress report Marc. Love the work you do. :D

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:46 am
by blueflood
Hi guys,
I will attempt to post photos soon but my home PC is again acting up and I can't do that from work or from the iPhone. Lately, it seems all I do are setbacks after setbacks :lol: Redoing things is a pain. Anyhow my new Lowrance Elite GPS / Chartplotter came with a sonar transducer and I have to install it :D - this was an afterthought though since last years' model did not include one so major surgery going on, on the soles, the hull bottom and a few other places where I need access :roll: With all the planning, I forgot an electrical wire chase... :help:

The black flies and mosquitoes are relentless, seriously impossible to stay out more than half hour at a time. Even the bug spray is not particularly effective, never seen it this bad. I can imagine the wildlife going thru hell trying to escape the onslaught.

Marc

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:38 pm
by Dark Horse
I've never had any luck with bug repellent and Blackflys

If you can find some, Old school Coppertone sunscreen works to stop the Black flys. The "greasy" stuff, They don't like to land on it. I used to keep a small tube of the stuff every time I camped in black fly territory. Its not perfect but you can watch them land and immediately take off and bother someone else

The new "dry feel" formulas don't work for this. Mosquitoes your on your own unfortunately.

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:40 am
by blueflood
Hey Dark Horse,

Thanks for that...the black fly cycle is just about over now - 3 or 4 weeks usually. The only good thing about those is they are indicative of clean and unpolluted water since they are very susceptible to contaminants and pollution. Their ridiculously high numbers means pristine streams and lakes. Now it's their other flying cousins. Good thing for dragonflies - those are so cool looking like a Bell 205 Huey helicopter going on a rampage :D They each devour mosquitoes & black flies by the high hundreds on one flight.
Think I need a transfusion or a top-up :lol: Getting my PC fixed today so hopefully by end of week, I'll have photos on.

Marc

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:46 pm
by blueflood
Hi all, well back on the build albeit a bit late. I am updating my build with a few photos and short explanation but will expand at end of season.

Added an enclosure around the fuel fill since I have an opening on the sole. Access port to get to the clamps later on.

Laying out the anti skid location. The side decks will have blue Kiwi Grip and a white painted transition between it and the white Monstaliner.

The instrument panel will be light grey around the gauges and white Monsta all around elsewhere.

Added the cast scupper details on hull and transom.

Since I can't see the bow from where I stand, I am installing a removable staff :D

The Lowrance Elite 4 comes with a sonar transducer this year so I had to put it in. Much work after the fact to install, cut a hole on hull bottom, build an epoxy seat and run the wire.

After much thought during the last 3 years I decided to install an aluminum flat bar for the rub rail. 3/16" X 5/8". The edges will be rounded over and screwed into the pine 1"x2" behind. That will be painted black, likely Monstaliner or rocker panel rubber guard :lol: This is the cheapest and easiest to fix in case of damage. Just unscrew a section and replace with new. Nothing else worked for me and this looks much better as a detail.

First coat of Pettit EZ Poxy. The bulk will have blue anti skid and some Monstaliner wrapping around the structure. Bought the paint and very expensive but great trade-off instead of spending another season fairing. Inside and out will be white Monsta. Hull will be light grey EZ Poxy.

Lots done not shown here - scrambling between the woods and the city, PC busted, things to do :lol: but on schedule this year. More to come later guys. Painting by end of summer :D

Missing Larry but it is good to read all your posts and have a chuckle in the process. Build on !!

Marc

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:48 pm
by Jeff
Marc, good to see you back!! Boat is really looking good!! Keep the photos coming!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:26 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Nice looking work Marc! I love the detail work on the console :D

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:22 pm
by glossieblack
Just lovely detailing and work generally Marc.

And I really like you rub rail solution. The simplicity of cutting out and replacing a damaged section makes a lot of sense. :D
blueflood wrote: ↑Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:46 pm
After much thought during the last 3 years I decided to install an aluminum flat bar for the rub rail. 3/16" X 5/8". The edges will be rounded over and screwed into the pine 1"x2" behind. That will be painted black, likely Monstaliner or rocker panel rubber guard :lol: This is the cheapest and easiest to fix in case of damage. Just unscrew a section and replace with new. Nothing else worked for me and this looks much better as a detail.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:12 am
by blueflood
Hey guys...a keyboard that works (at work :wink: ) Thanks for that !

Since back on the build I had to do quite a bit of re-work mostly because of using Monstaliner. Most panels, shelves, door etc had to be shaved down a bit to fit since the stuff is so thick. Also because it is a "rough" surface much like Kiwi Grip, I did not want the two coatings to be touching. That would look odd to me so instead I decided to have a transition between the two coatings with white paint. That will take some time to achieve.

Progressing in the build last year, I decided there was no way that I was going to fair the cabin good enough for a regular paint system - that would have taken one full summer of fairing and sanding. The Monstaliner is the perfect system for me with its insulating, sound deadening qualities, surface imperfections hiding (and no priming). It does however require careful surface prep with thorough sanding. They sent me 2 extra gallons that I never asked for :roll: (but payed) Getting my hands on MEK solvent which Magnet Paints recommend was next to impossible to get in Ottawa but scored some finally. Will see how that goes but Gary's and Topwater John boats are a good indication of success !

The Pettit EZ Poxy is a joy to work with. If I'm impressed with a middle of the road paint I can imagine the EMC everyone talks about. There are only a few square feet of white on decks but the grey hull will be sprayed. Someone on the site used the Wagner Flexio to spray his hull so I will give that a try also. It looks just the right equipment with a self contained turbine - no compressor, size etc...

So this is it...150-200 grit sanding everywhere to get that frosty look on the epoxy and not having fun. Templated the windows and those will be going to the fabricator this summer. Also getting the cushions done and getting the outboard remote this year.

Long haul to get there still; last year I almost wanted to take a year off the boat and go live a bit :roll: I put myself on eHarmony to find a compatible lady squeeze :wink: but that is cutting into my boat build schedule :lol:

Marc

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:30 am
by topwater
Nice progress Marc :!: You sure took your console to the next level,i like it .

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:03 pm
by Eric1
Marc, are you gonna prime the aluminum first? I know when I was in the Navy the boatswains always would prime aluminum with an aluminum oxide primer. Just a suggestion. :)

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:24 pm
by TomW1
Definitely prime the aluminum as an officer in the Navy we had a primer just for the aluminum. You'll need an aluminum primer. Sand the aluminum and then prime.

Tom

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:06 am
by glossieblack
Marc, I'm really interested in your decision to use Monstaliner for internal finishes to cut down on internal fairing.

I've been pondering ways to cut down on internal fairing on Skinnydip and have been leaning towards a textured marine finish like Kiwi Grip, as she'll be on the water under tropical sun year round.

My guess is that you considered Kiwi Grip before settling on Monstaliner. A penny for your thoughts .... :D

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:42 am
by blueflood
Hi guys.. typing on cellphone. The aluminum flat bar will be fastened as is with no paint on it but it will be polished so the use of a wash primer is not necessary. From my recollection zinc chromate is the required primer for anything applied over. So yes, if painted this is what i would use.

The Monstaliner got my vote after the reports from Gary and Topwater due to its properties and look. From the onset i wanted an industrial finish. Considered Zolatone which is used on commercial vehicles but i could not find the answers to my questions. UV stable ? Good for exterior wear and tear ? KiwiGrip maybe but i think it would be too coarse and difficult to clean. The Monsta is a bit slick and more appropriate in my opinion. Whatever the cost, it outweighed the endless fairing, expecially the tons of corners around the structure. It is a big boat with a cabin. I took the plunge then !!

Expensive, yes but for all the plus, it is the best option for me. I spent 5 hours prepping and masking yesterday and was to shoot today but its raining now. Another slight setback. Will report when done πŸ‘πŸ» If you do go Monsta, get the good Shutz gun and spare paint containers for it. My order was so large, the boss threw in a ton of free extra bits and pieces. Cost about CDN $1000 to coat everything inside and out, except the hull.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:03 pm
by blueflood
Well first coat sprayed on and looking good ! It is potent stuff even with good respirator and fan going. Used a gallon already, a quart only covers 16 sq feet, so will dial down the amount coming out a bit for the second coat. Still a few light areas and spraying the cabin is very difficult with all the structure and little space to move. Lots of planning ahead were to spray first.
Another 1/2 hour to go before the final coat. Beware, spraying is extremely dirty to do. Mask and plastic wrap everything where none is going. Like Topwater says.... eyes are sensitive and dripping tears. Fresh air !

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:05 pm
by blueflood
I will post pix tomorrow. Managed to shoot the required 3 medium heavy coats. Took 3 gallons and i still missed some spots 😩 The seats are not done yet neither are the removable panels, the companionway hatch and the bifold door, main bulkhead with door. It is taking a long dirty smelly nauseating time.
Done until mid week to let things sit. All in all, glad i went that route. Since i already bought Pettit Cabin Coat that is what i will use for under berth lockers and under seats, too tight to move around under there with the gun. Cant wait to be done. Not doing this again but better than fairing and painting. Not fun either way πŸ˜• One last thing. It does not hide tape edges in corner joints. Personally i dont mind seeing the tape, that is part of its charm πŸ˜‰ but if you do, QF it and sand fair. I did fair most places but not all.

Marc

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:45 pm
by glossieblack
Very interesting and instructive thanks Marc. Looking forward to the photos.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:27 am
by justin_dwyer
Hi Marc, just catching up on your build. Looks fantastic!! You really do great work! Keep it up (it is pretty hard to keep motivated all the time on a project that takes so long). You are going great :P

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:26 am
by blueflood
Back in town for a scrub and laundry :D I will take close-ups later but now, I just had to leave the place. Still off-gassing and the smell is lingering around the shelter.

Thanks for the feedback TomW1, Eric1 & Aripeka Angler. Hey Justin :P no kidding. I knew this was going to be a difficult paint but actually doing it, it is much worst :lol: The only consolation is that no more epoxying except the rear main bulkhead but more paint awaits.

Glossieblack, if ever you are going this route consider this;

I used the "good" Shutz gun, a Dewalt 18 gal compessor set at 70 psi and the gun nozzle 1/3 opened to get the texture i wanted. Experiment tho.
Do not wear your good glasses. Get a handful of Dollar Store cheapos. I threw out 3 pairs already. Once the mixed stuff is on in mist form...they are done.
Wear hand protection / barrier cream under gloves,
Wear a cap (yep...paint in hair),
Have plenty of ventilation going,
Get the best respirator you can afford,
Buy more than you think. I did a total area tally but the stuff needs 3 coats and it goes fast while spraying,
Plastic drop sheet plenty,
Tape, tape and tape where you don't want it ...it goes everywhere,
Get more acetone or MEK,
MEK is deadly,
Stuff is expensive,
Not a cure-all hoping to cover sins,
Watch the hose for touching wet areas (yep that happened )
Buy extra gun containers so everything is filled and ready, I got four and that totals a gallon,
Clean the gun and clean it again (goes without saying),
It is extremely nauseating (almost toxic) dirty and tricky to spray especially the enclosed cabin and pilothouse. Some spots are thicker than others because where the gun could not access all that good especially in corners or frame faces.
Plan ahead big time on the spraying sequence, I have to do it in stages with minor sanding on cured Monstaliner to adhere properly,
And finally....live with minor imperfections :lol:

Marc
I can't wait to get this part done.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 am
by Noles309
Alright, looking god Marc! I can't even imagine spraying that stuff in a tight space like that.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:46 am
by topwater
I am with Gary on that , i rolled my interior and almost passed out from the fumes but at least i know i will never
have to do it again. Give it a week or two the smell will go away .

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:31 am
by Jeff
Marc, I am sure it was bad, but it does look really good!! Tough work but well done!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:24 pm
by blueflood
It would no be so bad if there were a better way to vent the fumes and paint mist. One fan blowing fresh air in and one exiting the bad stuff. Kind of hard to do with only two small ports and a hatch in the cabin. The pilothouse was way better to shoot and doing the cockpit and exterior should be a breeze.

I still have that smell in my nose πŸ™„
Thanks Gary and John... great choice for a paint system πŸ‘πŸ»

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:53 pm
by narfi
Probably too late now but a fresh air mask makes it almost enjoyable.

Instead of sweating inside a stinky respirator you have clean cool air blowing over your face.....

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:15 pm
by blueflood
Hi narfi, now you tell me :lol: Looking at those i fear the face shield would be destroyed with the paint.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:17 pm
by narfi
You use peel off plastic covers over the main lense. You buy them like big clear stickers in paks of 10 or something. They are cut the perfect shape to cover the lease. You store the mask with the painted protector on and when preparing to paint you peel it off and put a new one on.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:29 pm
by blueflood
Damn :roll: :roll: having known :lol:
For other builders in the same situation...something to consider.
Thanks narfi πŸ‘πŸ»

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:41 am
by blueflood
Whoohooo last panels are in. 4 oz cloth on the outside only and the required 2 coats of resin all over. No more glassing, no more epoxy - well a few small areas :D
Major milestone 8) More to come after the cabin exterior is painted. That will be done in sections so the cockpit and the aft bulkhead will be later.

Marc

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:04 am
by glossieblack
blueflood wrote: ↑Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:41 am Whoohooo last panels are in. 4 oz cloth on the outside only and the required 2 coats of resin all over. No more glassing, no more epoxy - well a few small areas :D
Major milestone 8)
Major milestones are always nice. :D

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:23 am
by Eric1
You got to love reaching those points! It always feel so good. Congrats!! :D

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:02 pm
by blueflood
Hi glossieblack, Eric1 !
Darn tootin' πŸ˜€ Not spending any more on resin and QF ! Enough to fair the hull, second round coming up soon.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:21 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Marc, very nice looking work! Love the cabin :D

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:10 pm
by blueflood
Hey Richard thank you,
All masked and ready for tomorrow cabin exterior Monsta paint. Was on it since 10 this morning prepping the boat and area. Done today.
Happy Canada Day πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦for the Canucks on the site
And the 4th coming up πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

Marc

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:31 am
by glossieblack
blueflood wrote: ↑Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:10 pm All masked and ready for tomorrow cabin exterior Monsta paint. Was on it since 10 this morning prepping the boat and area.
Really looking forward to seeing the results Marc. :D

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:09 pm
by blueflood
Hey glossieblack,

Exterior is done πŸ˜€ It took 2 gallons for pilothouse top, sides and all the cabin with some spare to shoot doors and panels, those will need another dusting but all in all it looks A+ and would not have gone any other way; not for a boat with a cabin anyhow. I will post as soon as I am in town. I will also point out things you need to be aware of.. kinda do this to avoid that :lol:

Spent the entire day masking and cleaning the cockpit area, the last part of the cabin interior (galley area) is getting shot tomorrow.
The boat has to be painted in sections otherwise it is too difficult to walk and work around the wet stuff.

It is incredibly dirty and very sticky when it is sprayed and curing but at least I knew what to expect this time.

I need a shower big time and am beat to a pulp😩 All I can do is heat a pot of water and cat-wash :help: :lol:
Marc

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:13 am
by glossieblack
blueflood wrote: ↑Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:09 pm Hey glossieblack,

Exterior is done πŸ˜€ It took 2 gallons for pilothouse top, sides and all the cabin with some spare to shoot doors and panels, those will need another dusting but all in all it looks A+ and would not have gone any other way; not for a boat with a cabin anyhow. I will post as soon as I am in town. I will also point out things you need to be aware of.. kinda do this to avoid that :lol:
You're certainly taking big bites out thatHMD19 elephant Marc. Well done!

I'm looking forward to the pics and procedural tips. :D

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:10 pm
by blueflood
Hi all, back in town for a scrub and upload. I stink and full of misty white sticky gooey paint :lol:
So the painting is progressing nicely but fed up now :help: :roll: Very hard on the eyes - never mind the breathing and the mess it makes.

The big lesson here if anyone plans on using the coating is to go over each and every joint to make sure there are no gaps between members. I must have a dozen - all found after shooting the stuff on. Easy fix to simply dab some paint with a small stiff brush but that is extra work. Looking back I would have given a quicky primer coat to highlight the unseen flaws. So the substrate as painted stopped at sanded QF. The bulk however is only sanded epoxy (two coats).

Spend your time fairing where the fairing counts and likely to be visible. I spent a good amount of time on the cabin exterior and some of the interior. If you do not QF the tape edges, they will telegraph once the paint is on. The fairing does not need to be all that pretty but at least give it a smooth transition. Personally I wanted some of the tape to be visible but only in the cabin and in the lockers.

You do not need to go nuts on the fillets. As long as they feel OK with your fingertips and not mirror smooth works. They do need sanding tho.

Pull the masking tape as soon as you are done or wait a few hours when the coating has cured somewhat. Done an hour later tends to stretch the coating which is setting by now - the thickness of a dime (i'll post pix of those areas :oops:) and the result is heartbreaking :lol: Also pull it like always when painting - up and back of itself. You want a clean sharp edge when the tape is removed.

Between the Monstaliner and the KiwiGrip there will be an 1/2" white painted area so the two texture patterns are separated. This involves an awful lot of masking however but worth it in the end.

Any area is ok to touch up. Sand lightly until a fine powder appears then good to go with the fix coat. Try to blend and keep gun nozzle setting the same spot on the gun throughout.

I just finished part of the cockpit area and all the pilothouse internals so I left to breathe fresh air during cure time. Can't wait for the complete job to be done; it is that unpleasant. :x Up to now this is how much it took considering 2 med-heavy coats and a light one to finish it off. Still a few spots needing a dusting. It is tricky to cover but after a light sanding (180 or so); not aggressive.
Complete cabin interior = 4 gallons
Cabin exterior and pilothouse top = 2 gallons
Part of cockpit, lounger top and some misc panels = 1 gallon
Aft bulkhead / part of cockpit sole / door / misc pieces likely 1.5 gallons.

Blue Kiwi Grip areas masked off for later. White polyurethane strip going on next to the Monstaliner. Not sure where to have breaks on the Kiwi yet. It won't be totally one area but rather three sections.

Lunch anchor (light Danforth type stowage area on cabin top) It will be secured with a velcro strap and stowed in the locker when not in use.

All in all, happy with it. I love the industrial texture, very hard yet flexible, easy to clean and easily touched up. Downside = expensive, very dirty to apply, almost dangerous and not at all user / environment friendly considering I tried to use water based products throughout.

What not to do :x :lol: Check and recheck all the joints. Touch ups galore later.

Watch what you do, how you do it, and especially the hose being dragged around. Have tweezers handy for bugs or dirt coming in contact. Not sure how that ding got there, maybe I'll try to camouflage it later or just forget about it :lol: It's about an inch long - right on the side :oops:
At the deck, you can kind of see the Monsta crisp edge for where the white goes. I stopped it right at the radius tangent.

Build on :D
Marc
Ready for the last go to finish the rest this week or weekend. Then the Pettit white poly, then the blue Kiwi but much much masking.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:16 pm
by pee wee
Looking great! Love the style line on the pilot house sides. 8)

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:23 pm
by blueflood
Hi Hank...thank you :D Tough going tho.
OK back to the woods..I think there is a boat to finish - not sure :lol: :doh:
More pix coming up later of what I did this morning....

Marc

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:07 pm
by Eric1
Marc, That looks pretty dang good to me. :D
I'm not sure what I'm going to finish the inside of my C21 yet, but I too had thought along these lines.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:33 pm
by blueflood
Hey Eric1,

Be aware :lol: :lol:

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:48 am
by glossieblack
Harmony is looking just great Marc. Thanks for the documentation. Enjoying each instalment a lot. :D

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:07 am
by topwater
Marc nice job spraying the boat :!: I agree with you about the eye irritation , worst thing about use this stuff.
Will be worth it for the long run though , much easier to clean than Kiwi, if you get a stain that won't wash off
just wipe with some acetone or alcohol and it gone . The coating on my boat has been sitting in the Florida sun
for 2 years now and i have had no problems with it yet. Stays cool to the touch where Kiwi will burn your feet
off. I have stains in the Kiwi i still can't get out.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:48 pm
by blueflood
Hey John !
Yep if I were to do it again I would certainly spring for that full face narfi was talking about. It's almost done now, only the ass end and the main bulkhead also the shelter sides are down, so not that bad. Good to hear about its resistance to UV and cleaning.

I wish Magnet Paints would have a better colour palette, the white is really bright, maybe an off-white. Next up from the white is tan and light browns. Still looks sharp tho.

It should be all done by the weekend but I admit, I am not looking forward to spraying :help: Just want to finish that phase.

If anything; maybe we have started a trend with Monstaliner :D

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:26 pm
by justin_dwyer
Great work Marc, she is looking awesome!!
You'll be finished in no time. :P
Cheers
Justin

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:30 pm
by Jeff
Marc, really nice work!!! She looks great!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:35 am
by blueflood
Hey Justin, Jeff,

Thanks guys :D Painful getting there though :lol:

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:02 pm
by blueflood
Hi all, a few more progress pix :D Some outfitting temporarily on to mark the anti skid on the various areas between the Monstaliner. The pilothouse top may need another coat as it looks kind of thin :roll: Weekend to do doors and touch-ups. Should be the last of the Monsta. Cannot wait to start screwing things down for good :lol:

Marc

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:35 pm
by Jeff
blueflood, very nice work!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:32 pm
by Eric1
That looks Really nice! Well done Bro. :D

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 pm
by glossieblack
Bet you enjoyed placing the jewellery. :D

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:12 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Beautiful work Marc :D I've said this before, I love the cabin 8)

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:30 pm
by TomW1
Very nice Mark, bet you can't wait to really attach them.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:22 pm
by blueflood
Hey guys, no i cant wait :lol:
All touch-ups are done. This stuff is great for almost-no-show cosmetic repairs. I have 1 gal and 1 quart left over so i will do the battery and fuel filter compt also a roof recoat at some point. All good !

Richard, thank you. The cabin deserved a bit of styling in my head and i like detail so went for it :D Evan did a great design, just took it up a notch.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:00 am
by blueflood
A few more pieces put on; only parts which will not be in the way when applying the Kiwi and to change my mind doing something fun :D
In essence, it is detailing and finish the painting.

Fire extinguisher, locking loose items compartment, 12V outlet.

Portable head with 3 inches clear above my head :D

Forward side of frame where the wiring / cable run cleats are.

Sink and pump.

Stove and chart hanging location.

All penetration holes in frames and structure are fitted with rubber grommets. This one is for the GPS and other smaller wires.

Removable lounger platform with bungees to keep things in place under. Cushions will be Sunbrella throughout.

Marc

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:35 am
by Eric1
That's really beautiful work Marc! I'm still debating the Monstiliner. That stuff ain't cheap!

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:14 pm
by Jeff
I agree with Eric, I like Monstiliner. First saw it on TopWaters boat and really liked it. Trying to see if we can get wholesale to sell to our customers!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:02 pm
by Jeff
Guys, cannot get Monstiliner Distributorships right now. They said you can only buy direct for the time being!! I will keep checking-back with them!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:32 pm
by glossieblack
blueflood wrote: ↑Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:00 am
Portable head with 3 inches clear above my head :D
Pure luxury!

Harmony is looking great Marc. I bet you're enjoying this part of the build. :D

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:14 pm
by blueflood
Thanks guys.

Eric1, no Monstaliner is not cheap by any means but considering the extra work involved with conventional coating, this tipped the scale. It is not for everyone; having a cabin-less boat I would reconsider. Just the sheer amount of fairing and the multitude of corners would have taken another long painful while and I was not prepared for that, also the same applying 2-3 coats of roll & tip if not spraying. I get the R&T but personally, it is one monumental labour intensive waste of energy. :help: Rather spray everything that does not move :D

Glossieblack; not bending over while sitting makes it all worthwhile :lol:

Thanks for the leg work, Jeff

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:55 pm
by Eric1
blueflood wrote: ↑Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:14 pm Thanks guys.

Eric1, no Monstaliner is not cheap by any means but considering the extra work involved with conventional coating, this tipped the scale. It is not for everyone; having a cabin-less boat I would reconsider. Just the sheer amount of fairing and the multitude of corners would have taken another long painful while and I was not prepared for that, also the same applying 2-3 coats of roll & tip if not spraying. I get the R&T but personally, it is one monumental labour intensive waste of energy. :help: Rather spray everything that does not move :D

Glossieblack; not bending over while sitting makes it all worthwhile :lol:

Thanks for the leg work, Jeff
You actually have me thinking about a topside like the OP21. I had a walk around cuddy back in 2002 and I liked it. I'm not sold on the topside design yet, I plan to weigh all options.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:55 pm
by justin_dwyer
Wow!!!! Really looks amazing Marc, you will be so happy to be camping in there.
Keep it up mate!!

I've been tinkering away on mine, will hopefully finish some glass work tonight and then I will post some pics :)

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:43 pm
by blueflood
Hey Eric Bro, yeah take your time. Those are sweet looking also. Flip a coin :D

Justin 8) Hope all is good on the family and job front ! I will miss boat building once she is done but will probably build a tiny pram to get to her on the lake. Too shallow where i am 8O.
Looking forward to your progress. Hey BTW the taping i was so wanting to be visible in my cabin, well the straightness of them is not from the Larry & Justin school of how to tape laser straight :lol:

Build on, dudes !
Marc

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:47 pm
by justin_dwyer
Boat building is definitely a virus that is hard to shake!!

I'll show you some more laser taping tomorrow hopefully :lol:

I am just hoping my finish work is as good as yours!!

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:51 pm
by justin_dwyer
blueflood wrote: ↑Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:14 pm not bending over while sitting makes it all worthwhile :lol:
The glassing I am doing tonight (hopefully) is the motorwell sides, the taping down the bottom of these between the stringers looks like a nightmare, sore back material for sure! :help:

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:11 pm
by blueflood
Hi all,

Well doing the fun stuff finally. Kiwi Grip application and more fittings being installed - permanently :D. I just could not be bothered sanding the hull this past weekend so did this instead. Ran out of goop so the balance when I get the stuff. Tons of masking but I'll take that with a smile on face instead of epoxying / fairing :lol:

The green pad on the lounger is a self healing rubber to cut circles on masking tape for all the anti-slip corners. It helps keeps the X-Acto blade sharp.

Hard to see but the aft end deck is mostly coated with the white Monsta

....so is the cabin top.

...and everything else, cockpit, door exterior and bulkhead.

...door interior is sprayed Pettit Easypoxy white.

Visible is the 3/4" wide white transition between the Monstaliner and the blue Kiwi. The rub rail on deck perimeter will be black with an aluminum trim. All the areas with Kiwi has that transition detail in between.

Marc

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:09 pm
by Eric1
That is beautiful!! 8)

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:20 pm
by Browndog
Looks great! Can't wait to start working on the deck. The kiwigrip is great stuff! Really like what you've done with the Monstaliner too. What a sharp looking build.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:15 pm
by Jeff
Nice work!! The KiwiGrip looks great!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:50 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Marc, wow!! That is some mighty fine looking work right there! 8)
Absolutely gorgeous!

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:17 pm
by TomW1
Wow that is fabulous! Very pretty also.

Tom

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:02 am
by glossieblack
blueflood wrote: ↑Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:11 pm
Well doing the fun stuff finally. Kiwi Grip application and more fittings being installed - permanently :D. I just could not be bothered sanding the hull this past weekend so did this instead. Ran out of goop so the balance when I get the stuff. Tons of masking but I'll take that with a smile on face instead of epoxying / fairing :lol:
Wow Marc, this combination of finishes is looking just great. Congratulations on your choices!

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:03 am
by blueflood
Hi guys, thanks.

Glossie, the Monsta white is too white and the Kiwi is not dark enough in my opinion but will have to do. Not a big fan of powder blue or baby blue - whatever that shade is :lol:

Pilothouse top getting the last coat on this weekend. The shelter roof is too close to the boat and that made it difficult to spray so I will roll on the Monsta this time. Cabin hatch going in as well and more small stuff. I should really sand the hull tho but not in the mood yet :doh:

Marc

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:55 am
by topwater
Marc the finish on the boat is looking awesome and so well thought out 8) Nice job :!:

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:02 pm
by blueflood
Hey guys ! Actually, kudos to you John and Gary. You guys had it first 8) We'll keep a log for wear and tear over the years and see how it lasts. It took a long time to do, three stages and masking up to here.

Totally impressed of the Monstaliner, especially for cleaning, on white also! Super tough. The Kiwi is fun. I'll have to go see your builds again. Chime in Gary if you still lurk here :D

I'm using Pettit Eazypoxy on my hull, used it before and sprayed. A cheap HVLP with a 2.3 tip does a great finish. Its a large surface to cover tho and never sprayed to that extent 8O I'm sure it will need polishing after. Not sure what you did.

I was seriously going to do the hull with Monstarliner, grey - but changed my mind at the last minute. It makes the whole structure feel so much heftier and tough. Especially for sound attenuation as it dulls the drum sounding twang of bare ply. It sounds more like its coated with a hard but flexible sheet of plastic molded and fused over everything. Touch ups are near invisible too. I will do a report in the paint section this winter.

This evening i was going to install one hatch - no screws :help: :doh: Forgot those but ordered just now with more Kiwi and a never ending pile of small stuff.

I was thinking of Larry today for some reason :D

Marc

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:07 pm
by Aripeka Angler
blueflood wrote: ↑Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:02 pm I was thinking of Larry today for some reason :D

Marc
The reason had to be "I'm doing this right, right???"
Or as Larry would say, " You know that ain't right".
I knew him well, and I miss him greatly.
He would tell you that you are doing a fine job on your boat :wink:

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:29 am
by blueflood
...or "it's only a thing" :D
I am more spiritual than religious but I hope he is looking down from his chair and keeping an eye on our builds :wink:

Marc

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:23 am
by Noles309
blueflood wrote: ↑Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:02 pm Hey guys ! Actually, kudos to you John and Gary. You guys had it first 8) We'll keep a log for wear and tear over the years and see how it lasts. It took a long time to do, three stages and masking up to here.
Totally impressed of the Monstaliner, especially for cleaning, on white also! Super tough. The Kiwi is fun. I'll have to go see your builds again. Chime in Gary if you still lurk here :D
Oh yeah, I'm still lurking about. Mines still holding up great and its been sitting out uncovered since about November. Your boat is looking great!

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:25 pm
by blueflood
Hi all, in town for laundry :wink: and uploads.

Hey Gary, nice to hear from you. Thanks for your input.

A few more parts attached. The Bomar poly hatch on cabin top. This one will have the 24/7 solar powered / battery vent installed. The other will be on the pilothouse top.

Next round of fairing :x :help: I bought a cheapo pneumatic long board (straight line) sander for this...see how that works :D

2 lb lunch anchor stowed on cabin top.

Marc

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:29 pm
by glossieblack
Nice progress Marc. Looking forward to hearing how the pneumatic long board performs. :D

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:41 pm
by Jeff
Really nice work Marc!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:00 pm
by blueflood
Hi all,

Last go at fairing and covering. It took a fair amount of time, maybe 15 hours to fair and long board sand primer to 150 grit for the Pettit EZPozy. The heavy S3 HBP was sprayed with an HVLP fitted with a 2.3 tip which gave it a smooth finish, free of orange peel; happy about that. Love the stuff and the gun. So for this weekend I changed my plan. This year Pettit offered a cross-linker for their urethane which promises superb flow out, excellent gloss retention and hardness BUT they do not recommend spraying due to dangerous additives so I will roll it on. I did the white on deck by rolling so this should yield even better results.

I used a foam roller but lightly passed the roller to flatten the small bubbles which all disappeared. This entailed very light pressure, only the weight of the roller essentially, to do the job. If it does not pass my QA, I will polish / buff the whole thing next year. The compressor is a Dewalt 15Gal, 5.0 SCFM set at 60 psi I think. It did the job except it stayed on the whole time. A bigger unit would have been OK, this one was just at the edge of useful for the Monstaliner, S3 primer and urethane.

Build on
Marc

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:13 pm
by Eric1
Oh Hello Yes! That looks GREAT! :D

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:29 pm
by glossieblack
Wow! Looking Harmonious. :D

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:45 pm
by jacquesmm
Beautiful.

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:41 pm
by justin_dwyer
Fantastic job Marc, you are really closing in now!!
When do you think you might be ready to splash?
Cheers
Justin

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:42 pm
by Jeff
Yes Marc, really good progress!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:33 am
by blueflood
Thank you guys.

Justin buddy :D You pop up when I least expect it ! Next year is splash time hopefully. The big to do is the electrical and the rigging besides detailing. Next week the window / cushion templates are going out to be made, the trailer sometime early next year and some small stuff. Every piece you put on makes a ton of difference :D Hope you are doing good in your world, take care 8) and get dirty.

Marc

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:43 am
by MrPaul
That looks great. I just watched my neighbor spend a lot of money on an 80 gallon compressor to paint his boat and it looks the 15 gallon was all you needed.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:01 pm
by blueflood
Hi MrPaul, thank you !
Yes or 20 G at the most (depending on boat of course) The CFM is another important variable and so is the needle size on the gun) It was on sale as well, $150 off, I could not resist. :D

Whoohoo no more Monstaliner - pilothouse top just recoated. Done done and done with that :lol: :D Did I say DONE ?
Marc

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:43 pm
by Fair WX Pilot
Wow, paint and fairing looks amazing. You made it look easy even though I know it wasn't anything of the sort. Alan.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:54 pm
by justin_dwyer
blueflood wrote: ↑Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:33 am Justin buddy You pop up when I least expect it ! Next year is splash time hopefully. The big to do is the electrical and the rigging besides detailing. Next week the window / cushion templates are going out to be made, the trailer sometime early next year and some small stuff. Every piece you put on makes a ton of difference Hope you are doing good in your world, take care and get dirty.
I still snoop around mate :wink:

The stuff you are doing now must be very satisfying!

I am just tidying up the inside of mine, sealing all exposed wood and preparing to flip it back over to start the fairing process on the bottom. Nothing photo or mention worthy at this stage.

I still pump most of my time into the family so building is slow these days.

Cheers

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:05 pm
by blueflood
Hi Alan, thank you !
It is a big project no doubt but the sanding :help: It was long and sweaty to do, longboarding overhead and on knee pads is no fun. I made sure to do the bulk of the fairing when she was inverted. I recall fairing a ferro-cement sailboat upright / overhead and swore then if I ever build one...

The paint systems I used all have flaws, dings and inconsistent finish here and there on this boat :lol: It will have to do :D I really needed more space and better venting.

Marc

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:36 am
by glossieblack
blueflood wrote: ↑Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:05 pm The paint systems I used all have flaws, dings and inconsistent finish here and there on this boat :lol: It will have to do :D
Marc, After you've enjoyed using Harmony for a couple of years, the current dings and flaws will have been joined by others! So what. That's boating.

Paddle around any anchorage or walk any marina where people are enjoying their boats regularly, and few are perfect. And the perfect ones are usually owned by hairshirts who rarely leave the mooring or marina.

For me, the best looking boats are the ones with great lines, don't have unnecessary crap bolted to them, and have an honest used look about them.

Harmony has just great lines, you've kept her simple, and she's got a minor dings. so what?! She's a beauty :D

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:51 am
by Fuzz
Glossie is totally correct :!: The ones that look perfect either never get used or belong to someone with an insane amount of money and pay others to keep them looking that way.

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:35 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin, good going brother :D Family / kids first. It is satisfying but also there is a bit of bittersweetness in all this. The end is near and I will need another project to do after - no kids to keep me busy so enjoy your time. When you flip her back inverted, do the most side hull fairing you can.

Fuzz and glossieblack; I hear you and that is inevitable. I just wanted an A+ finish on this thing but I don't do enough spraying or have access to an ideal work space. So it turned out to be a B- finish. All good. Anyhow the original plan was to finish her workboat style - a bit of both now.

Marc

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:10 pm
by blueflood
Hi all,

Hull painted :D I could not spray the Pettit urethane since the cross-linker was added and that is too dangerous apparently so roll and tip it was. The gloss and shine is there but a very faint roller stipple is also the end result which is fine by me, it kind of goes with the rest. It took 1.5 quarts for two coats and a third could have been applied. I may do that next season or simply buff the existing finish. The colour is Seattle Grey and is close in shade to the primer, just light and dark enough. Happy boy this phase is done - the most fun too. So now the electrical and detailing is happening.

Marc

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:28 pm
by narfi
Looks great!

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:32 pm
by MrPaul
Man.. That looks sharp!

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:58 pm
by peter-curacao
I agree that looks awesome, showroom quality 8) 8)

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:18 pm
by Eric1
Oh Yea, Freakin Sweet! 8)

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:20 pm
by Jeff
Really well done blueflood!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:44 pm
by Aripeka Angler
SWEET!!! 8) Looks fantastic.

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:01 pm
by glossieblack
She looks all class Marc. Congratulations! And the Seattle Grey looks great. :D

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:46 pm
by blueflood
Thanks guys...it took a while to do. Lots of stages to get there but.. I love masking :D I want to build a kayak like browndog and give it a wild paint job after Harmony is done. I'll leave the shelter in place to tempt me :idea: :wink:

Marc

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:33 pm
by Browndog
A Wild painted kayak on the top as a tender would be really sweet!

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:08 am
by Jeff
Great idea Browndog!!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:17 pm
by justin_dwyer
WOW!!! That looks fantastic Marc 8)

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:00 am
by blueflood
Justin !! hey thanks bud. Wrapping up for the season I think. I will putter with the electrical and put some more stuff on her until it gets too cold. More expenses coming up :roll: Next photos will probably be the last before shut down...stand by.

Be good & take care :D

Marc

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:53 am
by justin_dwyer
We'll I reckon you've had a successful season thus far mate :D

Now I need to pull my finger out and entertain you through your winter.
Take care mate.
Justin

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:43 pm
by blueflood
justin_dwyer wrote: ↑Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:02 pm Now I need to pull my finger out and entertain you through your winter.
Take care mate.
Justin
:lol: and 20 other guys :wink: I'll be patient !

Marc

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:20 am
by Knottybuoyz
Nice job on the paint Marc. Now I know who I can get to paint mine! :wink:

Stay warm this winter. Cheers!

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:55 pm
by blueflood
Hey guys,

Well another season done and on schedule. The boat is wrapped up now and I could not take an overall shot as it was raining but did manage a few anyhow. So all the painting is done and next season is to finish the electrical, outfitting and rigging. I am thrilled the paint and everything else prior to get there is a thing of the past - this part is fun. I will try to update some explanation during the winter but for now here she is with make-up and almost ready for the prom :D

The rub rail gave me the biggest headache; I debated what to do until the last second. I ended up using black Monstaliner and that will be complemented by aluminum flat bars screwed to it. It was the easiest solution to get around three tight corners. Everything works and fits OK :D
The steering cable was too long :oops: :roll: so I had to get a shorter one. Running electrical wires and all of them are tagged - it got too cold and dark too soon to progress any further.

Added details but those were not over-done; keeping it simple. The VHF radio, compass and GPS are all removable. Since I will be cruising solo most times, I decided to have an easy quick method to grab on a mooring line and also to stow them. Those little clips work great. Everything clean and right at fingertips from inside the pilothouse. Also in there are a handful of Davis deck pockets to stow binoculars, reference material, horn etc...the galley also have those for plates, cutlery. Spare cleats are already glued on if I ever need to put hooks or something else in that area. I added two battery powered white LED lights (one in the berth and one in the pilothouse) secured with strong magnets and two red LED lights for night time use. Those are for bikes and needed a small modification. Decided to have a rear view mirror; it is a bit high but it works. The VHF mic & wire were in the way so I move that on the left side of the enclosure.

So that is the scoop on her this year. Next summer she will see water hopefully. Not that it's done but it was a long stretch and a fulfilling one :wink:
The windows, cushions are all templated and ready to go. That will be next year.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:14 pm
by tcason
WOW

What a great build - your boat really appeals to me and you must be proud!!

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:21 pm
by blueflood
Hi Rick & tcason ! Thanks, I'm just glad it is 80% finished and no more $$ to buy :D
Rick my man...painting ?? uhhh I think I'll pass on that :lol:

Marc

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:55 pm
by Eric1
Marc, You got a lot done this season and the boat is looking fantastic! I can't until you get her on the water. :D

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:20 pm
by pee wee
She's a beauty and you deserve to be proud! I'm impressed with all the details you've fit in there, well done.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:41 pm
by narfi
Definitely something to be proud of!!!!

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:03 pm
by topwater
Looking good Marc , so close now .

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:30 pm
by Jeff
Very well done Marc!!! You should be really happy with yourself!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:16 pm
by peter-curacao
O wow 8O she is beautiful , well done sir ImageI like the cabin door with the round port hole, gives it a very industrial look but in a very good way.

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:56 am
by Doug N
That is gorgeous. Very well done. You've really put a lot of thought into your boat. That is a great colour scheme with the non-skid. That door is really neat. Really fits the boat. Wow. Lots of good ideas to make the boat useful and practical. I like the handholds at the back of the cabin and sides. I've been looking at mine to see where I could put some, as something is sure needed when getting on and off the boat from the side. Your locations look good. Wow again. So many details that really make a difference. That is quite a boat you've built sir.
Everything you do after the painting is fun. Quite enjoyed the final outfitting on mine. Next year you'll be out enjoying the boat and all of the previous work will be worth it.
Doug

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:59 am
by gonandkarl
Queen of the prom no doubt, I really love your perfect boat and that is why I look at the pictures over and over.

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:15 am
by glossieblack
Marc, your end of season post a year ago was for me the most impressive of 2016. Well for me you've just done it again in 2017. Love your no-nonsense design detailing and execution. 8)

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:45 pm
by TomW1
Marc all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She has grown from a babe to a queen. :D :D

Tom

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:49 am
by justin_dwyer
Marc, a bit late to the party here, but Harmony looks FANTASTIC!! Great job mate, bet next year will be an exciting time. You've really done a great job. πŸ˜„

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:44 am
by blueflood
Hey guys, thank you. Appreciated but it is just one boat of many on this site. Hey, I will keep on surfing with the builds - I have 6 months to burn :roll: :lol: Would I do this again ? Yes but I'd add another year and with a larger & proper workspace.

Have a great autumn for those in my hemisphere and a great summer for those below :D I will keep in touch.

Marc

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:36 am
by cape man
Wow! Just Wow!

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:47 am
by Noles309
Looks awesome Marc. Winter is going to last forever because you are so close :wink:

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:03 am
by blueflood
Hi guys...Thanks again for the support this season... and the laughs.
I truly enjoy the camaraderie and sharing our thoughts and progress from the four corners of the world.

See you all next season, be safe, be good. I will lurk as usual to keep in touch.
Justin buddy, Glossieblack, Barraman, Topwater, Joe H, Walkers Run, AtTheBrink, pee wee, Noles309, narfi, Knottybuoys, tcason, Browndog, AA, Peter-C, Jaysen, gonandkarl, TomW1, Dougster, Eric1, Fuzz, cape man, Doug N, MrPaul and Jeff/Jamie on the front desk...keep on building / enjoy your ride 8) ...hope I did not miss anyone :oops: CL is missing but I'm sure he is chuckling along or shaking his head :wink:

Great design Evan, thank you.

Marc

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:24 pm
by TomW1
You have a good break and enjoy the planning for what you need to do next year. It looks like we may have our first snow in the mountains this week here in NC. :lol: :lol: Won't amount to much and the ground is to warm for it to stick. :D

Tom

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:52 am
by blueflood
Hi Tom,

You bet; I need to do something this winter; tidy my boat file, plan a kayak 8O ...not sure.
Well, the snow is coming, no doubt :lol: Seems we just got over the last winter :roll:

Take care in the mountains, Tom. The only place to be.
Marc

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:04 pm
by blueflood
Hey guys...been lurking...nice builds !

So, any ideas of how to raise this boat to get her on a trailer sitting on her craddle ?

Been thinking about this thing. 10 ton capacity and long reach :D Any thoughts welcomed. Just looking at the cradle, maybe jack up one side, then the other with blocks from the skid part ? Or since here is a slope where I build, I can maneuver the trailer (hitched) to align the bunks more or less with the cradle and gently pull her in ?

Marc

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:00 pm
by Fuzz
Hydraulic jack and lots of cribbing. Will not be hard but it will take a little time. If you have a 4x6 wider than the trailer you can jack up the front half high enough to slide the trailer 2/3s under the boat and you got it made from there. Looking forward to seeing it slide off the trailer and into some water.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:40 pm
by narfi
Build an above ground swimming pool around it with boat ramp!!!!

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:13 pm
by Jaysen
Oh boy... Narfi's wife let him use the computer unsupervised again.

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:33 am
by Doug N
Marc
I had never done this either but don't know if my method will help you. I am fortunate to have a small tractor and with my neighbours tractor as well, we lifted the boat high enough to get the trailer under it. Used the bow eye and two trailer tie down eyes on the transom as lift points. If you have buddies with tractors (or any other lifting type equipment) offer fishing trips in exchange for help... Free beer works too. That equipment working on the tree in your picture would probably make short work of it.
Hydraulic jack and cribbing as per Fuzz would probably be the most practical way to do it if no equipment was available although I think Narfi's method would be the most fun.
Doug

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:11 pm
by grundasaurus
At the boat shop I work at in the summer, we use steel tripod style stands that we can raise and lower just by turning a collar on the stand while it's loaded. See if you can get a hold of some medium stands and low stands. you could then jack the boat up off the cradle with the medium height stands, get the cradle out of the way,and then lower it onto the lower stands. We always used to position the front stand pretty far aft, so that you can lower the nose onto the trailer, then slowly drop the back end down whilst sliding the trailer under. Once 90% of the boat is on the trailer, remove the stands and gently winch the boat the final few inches or so. Might not be advisable on soft unstable ground, but those stands are pretty cheap, and will be super helpful if you ever want to work/repaint the bottom. just an idea.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:05 am
by glossieblack
Happy birthday Blueflood!

Really looking forward to your splash your coming summer. :D

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:54 pm
by blueflood
Hi guys !! New season :D Hope winter and spring was good to everyone ! I did not lurk on the site much last winter, too busy with other things but once in a while I did to see what is going on with the crowd.

So this year it is the electrical and finishing outfitting hopefully. I'm not sure if she will be launched this summer as I am in the process of house shopping so my time is limited with all the running around; never mind the repairs and painting when I find one.

The electrical is tedious - I hate overlapping crossing wires, wanting things clean and tidy with the ground wires kept together so that is taking some time. Also more importantly, I decided to change her name to "Penny" to honor my sister who passed away around Christmas. Penny was her nickname from when we were kids watching the family Robinson in a cheesy sci-fi "Lost in Space". The name stuck since.

All in all I am happy with the progress.

Build on guys - will keep in touch.
Marc

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:21 pm
by Eric1
Nice to hear from you again! :D

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:26 pm
by blueflood
Eric dude :D ...yep, I'm still alive. Hey you know how to change the main title on my build page ? I want to change Harmony HMD19 to Penny HMD19 - tried editing my gallery, profile etc...nothing doin'. Can't be that complicated.

Re: Penny HMD19

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:15 pm
by jacquesmm
I did it for you.
You have to go to the very 1st post of the thread and edit the title there.
Very nice looking boat BTW.

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:42 pm
by blueflood
Thank you Jacques and thanks for the feedback :D

Marc

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:50 am
by csotelo
Hi,

Sorry for your lost, it will be a great tribute to your sister.

You can lift the boat with hydraulic jack, support it with temporary frames and slide the trailer understand it easily, I did it to remove a broken trailer from a 28 footer.

After saw you using bed liner I'm considering use it too.

Congrats for the build.

Carlos

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:09 pm
by blueflood
Hi Carlos,

You will love the bedliner :wink: especially working with it.

Marc

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:32 pm
by blueflood
Hi all,

It has been a while but here is Penny being hauled on the trailer ready for the ride home. These were taken last fall - it was a scorching hot day. Today though, there is 2 feet of snow on the ground, it is -20C and she looks lonely and pathetic covered with a tarp but she is finally parked in the back yard and ready for another build season hopefully. Lots of changes in my life; got married for the first time at 60 :D, instant family and step-dad of two kids, sold the cottage to my brother, bought a small house in the woods close to Ottawa which really feels like home :D but the bugs, oh the bugs...as many as where I was before :roll:

I had problems uploading the photos last year but figured it out now ! There is a ton to do still, those aluminum flat bar rub rails need rounding over at the ends, the outboard rigging, lots of outfitting, some electrical details, some Monstaliner touch-ups, windows and cushions to be made will keep me busy for a while. That said, I do not see a launching before next year or the year after :roll: :help:

Marc
Build on !!

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:49 pm
by Bogieman
She is a real beauty! Hope you get her in the water sooner than you'd hoped.

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:55 pm
by blueflood
Hi Bogieman...thank you ! Bathroom reno just done and kitchen starting...hmmm :doh: At least do a few things to move her along :D
I can't believe it has been seven years already.

Marc

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:27 pm
by Jeff
I agree, a real beauty!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:17 pm
by changeat44
Hi Marc,

I added your new pictures to my HMD collection. A view could be used for a postcard! So nice!!

I hope summer starts early for you so you can build on!
With your 'new' family you got a pair of extra hands to help, so maybe the launch will be earlier :wink:

Daniel

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:53 pm
by blueflood
Hey Daniel !!

Still snacking on the cookies :D. I am anticipating seeing photos of your model and the real thing later on. The younger one is too young to help and the other has just joined the Navy...my wife did help me with the electrical and is up to it again when we have a chance. But cruising is what we fantasize about. It will be a blast.

Hope things are good with you my friend. Be good and get cracking 8)

Marc

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:37 pm
by blueflood
Hi all,

Hope everything is ok with you all. End of another year with outfitting. I did what I could with all that is going on.
Marc

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:35 pm
by Fuzz
Looks like you are really close to launch time :D

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:40 am
by gonandkarl
It looks beautiful all that is missing for launching are the windows. Keep going and start Your cruising time next spring.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:03 am
by Jeff
Nice progress and very neat wiring!!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:59 am
by blueflood
Hey guys, yes the windows and cushions only left to go. A few small details to do still. The seats are full swivel and front/back without interference. It really needed a good scrub inside the cabin tho.

So what I did; shaped and installed the aluminum flat bar rub rails, installed the Merc remore controller, installed compass, tidied-up and finished the electrical wiring, ran all the controls and cables, added white plastic caps on all visible nuts, added blue rope detail around portholes and inside the door, assembled and installed the seats, added epoxy filets around all the cleats in cabin (crud accummulated in there before) and repainted white, did work on the galley area...odds and ends.

Marc

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:36 pm
by glossieblack
Nice work on a very nice boat. Bet you're looking forward to cruising next summer. :D

Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:03 pm
by blueflood
Hi all,

I have not worked much on Penny last year due to busy life but am going ramming speed on her this year.

The outboard has been mounted and the electrical system triple checked which fired up good without smoke or fire :D. My battery is a dual purpose AGM Group 21. Did mostly outfitting this year - bimini top as a wife required accessory, mounted a retractable sonar transducer on the transom (previously fitted in the hull but relocated it), added two more cleats, touched up a few areas including Kiwi Grip, cut and fitted the removable Lexan window, the vinyl side windows and some cushions are being made now, did some trailer work and other bits and pieces.

Decided to buy a prop shroud which is supposed to aid in directional control so will install it shortly.
https://unclenormsmarineproducts.com/co ... olling-fin

For Cowbro - I read your last post about lack of visibility at the bow. I had the same issue so I installed a removable "staff" to give me a better gauge of where the bow is and it works like charm. Cheap to do and provides tons of safety.

At the end of this season, I will likely pre-launch her to break-in the engine at the marina and check everything. Also to get good feel of her handling when I hit the choppier parts of the river later on. Next spring will be the official christening and launching 8) :D. Even though not required for a 9.9.HP boat to be licensed in Canada, I applied for one regardless so putting the numbers on the bow will be sweet.

8 years to build and finally the end is in sight. Done with spending :lol: (but never really done).

Will post when she's in the water. Thanks again for the feed back on the transom saver; you can see what my issue is.

Keep building guys. Stand by, Doug N and Cowbro.
Marc

Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:21 pm
by Cowbro
Awesome! I don't know how you can resist launching it already! It looks ready to go to me.

Which size bimini did you go for? Do you have standing headroom under it?

I am thinking that will probably be the next big expense I'll be able to talk the wife into.

For the directional control, IMO, the boat steers just fine with nothing fancy added to the outboard. Reversing can get a little unwieldy, but approaching the dock is not a problem. The biggest hindrance is the relative light weight to large windage. A slight breeze will really blow it around at low speeds.

Phil

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:21 am
by fallguy1000
Boat is sexy as all getout.

Not sure I love the bimini. I might have opted for something that live on the roof. But they are so hard to do.

But everything else about it is super hot. I could see taking that boat fishing and camping onboard.

Best of luck.

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:12 am
by blueflood
Hi Cowbro, fallguy 1000,

Bimini;
I was not sold on the bimini at first but my wife suggested to make it more comfy in the blazing sun. It is totally removable (i.e. off the boat altogether) so it really is no big deal. When folded up, I let it lean on the cabin top or folded down as in the photo. Fully deployed, it destroys the boat's line for sure, looking like a half-ass arrangement but it serves the purpose. Needless to say, it won't be deployed when underway :lol: to be used only when tucked away in a bay during lunch time. It is the shorter version from Cabela's for $200, covers aft of the cabin right up to the transom and....(being a semi-midget 5'-6") no head room problem for us 8). Actually this boat size is perfect for us both.

Outboard fins;
Debated on this. Light boat, windage are factors like ChicagoRoss and Doug N mentioned. We'll see how that goes. I plan to load this thing to the hilt anyhow.

Launching;
My issue is "no truck to tow". The boat will live in the water during boating season so buying a truck for the odd tow / launch was a waste for me. That said, my boat building neighbor will tow for the initial launch and I'll hire a truck owner to tow it from Ottawa to Montreal where she will reside at my wife's waterfront house (just bought a dock for this). The outboard was stored during the build and has not even been started yet. I'll just putter around the marina for a weekend for the break-in period and get the boat handling feel. Plus, this is a "big" boat for me. All I have under my belt is my canoe, kayak and a 14' aluminum with a 6hp :lol: so....baby steps.

There are lots of remaining details but my time is so limited between family, commuting, work and I keep finding things to add to the list of things to do on her :help:

Marc

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:18 pm
by Bogieman
Beautiful! Beautiful ! Beautiful !
If I ever build another boat it’ll be the HMD19

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:56 pm
by glossieblack
Happy birthday Marc! The removable bimini makes a lot of sense. :D

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:01 am
by TomW1
That is a beautiful HMD19 and you have done a wonderful job on her. Enjoy her!

Tom

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:56 am
by blueflood
Hey GB and Tom !! What a nice surprise.

Still working on Penny with minor details and tie up loose ends but she is going to be launched this July :D. Getting a dock installed in the meantime.

Stand by for photos, I am seldom on the site to write these days but I do check the various builds.

Hope everyone is good... man it has been a long time.

Marc

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:11 pm
by blueflood
:D Hi all... finally !!
Last of outfitting done / nothing more to do. Dock is installed, got insurance, booked a buddy's truck for the haul to Montreal, been keeping an eye on weather.

Launch is slated for Tuesday late afternoon.

Long time coming !! Will keep you posted.
Marc

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:05 am
by fallguy1000
Fair winds and following seas..

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:45 am
by TomW1
Take some pics of the launch and underway. We love to see them.

Tom

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:51 pm
by blueflood
Penny is splashed 8) :D
See launch section

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:39 pm
by blueflood
Hi all,

A few things I would have done differently with the build now that I'm spending some time sailing :D

After sailing season, the 40 lbs AGM battery and main switch will be relocated from the port aft locker to under the port seat in cabin for better weight distribution. New longer 4 AWG x 12 feet battery cable etc.. As it is, the battery, main switch and main fuse are in the worst possible space to access. The (original) underseat cooler will have to go to accomodate this change.

Marc

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:48 pm
by Doug N
Hello Marc. If you get a chance, would you mind posting more pictures of Penny with the bimini up. Looking at putting one on my boat. Any info on it would be much appreciated as well.
Doug

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:42 pm
by blueflood
No problem Doug
I can do this evening

I got it from Cabela's (the smaller 3 tube vs 4 tubes)

Easy to install... my wife loves it but I am so-so with it. I find it is more difficult to get onboard with the tubing in the way if stowed against the cabin.

Sometimes I leave it in the down position and it clears the outboard

Marc

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:48 pm
by Cowbro
Doug N wrote: ↑Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:48 pm Hello Marc. If you get a chance, would you mind posting more pictures of Penny with the bimini up. Looking at putting one on my boat. Any info on it would be much appreciated as well.
Doug
Doug, I just posted some pics of my Bimini on my HMD and a link to it on Amazon:

viewtopic.php?p=503074#p503074

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:39 am
by blueflood
Well, after a short season, Penny is out of the water. I had to rely on a neighbor to truck it out so my time was limited with the dock to remove; it is getting cool.

It was a blast to get acquainted with her, she rides so comfortably. Great design, Evan 8) I posted a few performance figures on the launch page but to recap here; 5200 rpm WOT yields 7.25 mph and I must have a good 12 hours on the engine now. Winterizing is coming up and she needs a good soapy wash in the meantime.

One of many but I hope I get the "expert" label :lol:
I can help out or offer any tips for other HMD19 builders to be.

Glad everyone is doing OK.
Marc

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:45 pm
by TomW1
I think you have well deserved the Expert label. :D One thing I did not catch in your launch information but caught here is the 5200 max rpm's you are reaching. I am not sure what exactly which Merc you have on Penny, but all the new 4st's have a 6000 top rpm range and you are lugging your motor. If you do go down 3 pitch levels from what you have now. If you have an older 2st that i believe has a 5500rpm top end, go down 1-2 pitch levels. Lugging an engine is the worst thing you can do for a marine engine. Your speeds won't change much as the prop is spinning faster and the diameter is the same. But it will sure help your motor last longer.

Tom

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:13 pm
by blueflood
Hi Tom,

Merc new when bought 2013 four stroke Pro Kicker 9.9 xl shaft with the stock four blade prop 10x7.

I hit 6000 few times but now it wont wind any higher. And occasionally, the engine revs up momentarilly to 6000..then back to 5200 (that was in another post Re ventilation). It sounds like it wanted to rev higher for a sec but it slips. I usually cruise at 4200 or so. It just seems it cannot reach its full potential. Also cruise trimmed full down. Do I need to do something different like a prop ?

It is properly broken in as well.

It is weedy and i make sure to reverse one in a while to clean things up.

That said I do not know the dynamics of lugging an engine.. can you explain ? I dont want to blow that engine so early on.

What gives ?
Marc

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:30 am
by TomW1
Okay, I think I know the problem. You have the XL shaft and that is putting the prop way too deep below where it should be. Your motors ventilation plate should be even with the bottom of the hull. If you are getting ventilation a different prop can fix that.

Lugging an engine is when it cannot run at its proper operating range and the results are carbon build up, ring damage, valve seal damage, etc. I would not worry about it to much as I looked up your motor and it lists the operating range from 5000- 6000, but it would be best if you could get that a little higher.

You know let's get simple here and not worry about anything else I said in the 1st Para, just get a new prop of the same type 1 pitch down, in other words a 6 pitch that will increase your rpm's 2-300 rpm's put you in the middle of the range and not have to worry about anything else. Deal!!!!! You should not notice any performance changes.

Tom

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:33 am
by blueflood
Thanks a million Tom :D

Ok phew it does not sound that bad. The transom cut out was raised about 4" at the build (plans showed deeper) so the engine would not sit TOO low but sounds like it is still too low :help:

Perhaps I should have bought the long shaft vs the xlong but as you say I'm still in the operating range at 5200+ rpm.

I will shop around for Christmas ! I told my wife after explaining the issue that we may need a different prop to avoid engine damage and she said no problem :D

Other HMD19 pilots...any figures and similar issue ?

Edit, i shopped around and what is only available is a 10" X 5" pitch four bladed. Would this be ok ?
Over reving potential maybe ?

Marc

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:38 am
by Cowbro
WOT?????

I have never gone WOT in my HMD. The boat is not designed to cruise over 5knots. I am usually right around 2700-3000rpms. The depth of the motor might cause a little extra drag, but it shouldn't be a hinderance in performance for these boats other than the powerhead being a little close to the water. I don't think it would be proper to select a prop for these boats that allows max RPM.

When i replaced my Tohatsu 9.8 with a Suzuki 9.9 EFI the motor came with a 10x5 prop, but i was spinning over 3500rpms at ~4.5 knots, I changed to a 10x7 and it dropped the rpms to under 3000 at optimum cruise.

Phil

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:56 pm
by blueflood
Hi Phil,

WOT is prescribed in the break-in procedures. After two hours or so of intial various slow speeds
they say to power up for no more than 5 minutes every so often (cant recall but say every 10 minutes) for the next so many hours (8?) after that.

The break-in should be good then. I usually cruise at 4000-4200, she rides sweet and best, generates less noise and is so-so on fuel burn. The engine really sucks gas at WOT bc of her hull. Other than that I power down when really not in a hurry.

I need to see what the engine and boat can do in chop and wind. Last windy and wavy outing was not a problem and was the worst condition we took her out in. Good to see the extra power she has.

That said the XL long shaft debate goes on 😁
The drawings should show suggested transom cutout dimensions for different shaft lengths πŸ‘πŸ»

When I designed to interior and outfitting, the outboard is shown with location. I got the outline and dimensions from Mercury. First to keep it low in water, for noise control hiding behind the frame and also limited space to run the cables in motor well. Dwg is also shown with a higher transom cutout. The ventilation plate is way low...

Marc

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:37 pm
by TomW1
blueflood wrote: ↑Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:33 am Thanks a million Tom :D

Ok phew it does not sound that bad. The transom cut out was raised about 4" at the build (plans showed deeper) so the engine would not sit TOO low but sounds like it is still too low :help:

Perhaps I should have bought the long shaft vs the xlong but as you say I'm still in the operating range at 5200+ rpm.

I will shop around for Christmas ! I told my wife after explaining the issue that we may need a different prop to avoid engine damage and she said no problem :D

Other HMD19 pilots...any figures and similar issue ?

Edit, i shopped around and what is only available is a 10" X 5" pitch four bladed. Would this be ok ?
Over reving potential maybe ?

Marc
Yes, not at all that will put you at about 5600-5700 rpm's still well under the max 6000 rpm's for your motor. Tom

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:54 pm
by Fuzz
Nice thing about that XL shaft is it lets you mount the motor as high as possible keeping the power head out of the water better. At 5-7 knots I am not sure being mounted low is really hurting you all that much. If this was a planing hull that would be a different story. My 22 foot SeaSport has a 9.9 Suzuki on it. No tack but around half throttle it pushes the boat 5 knots. Wide open just makes more noise and burns more gas.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:22 am
by TomW1
Fuzz wrote: ↑Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:54 pm Nice thing about that XL shaft is it lets you mount the motor as high as possible keeping the power head out of the water better. At 5-7 knots I am not sure being mounted low is really hurting you all that much. If this was a planing hull that would be a different story. My 22 foot SeaSport has a 9.9 Suzuki on it. No tack but around half throttle it pushes the boat 5 knots. Wide open just makes more noise and burns more gas.
Fuzz that is interesting on your SeaSport do you use the 9.9 as a trolling motor? I am not trying to do much with his setup or prop, just get it a little higher into the rpm range at top rpm's. He will never use it much there, but it will prolong the motors life. Tom

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:36 am
by Fuzz
Yes Tom. I use the 9.9 for trolling. I need to be running 1.8-2.2 knots for salmon. A lot of the time I will run the trolling motor to save the hours on the main motor. My Suzuki 200 will ideal at 2.0 so I use it some times also.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:04 pm
by Bogieman
This is such a nice build thread. I admire your craftsmanship as well. I've had HMD19 plans for a while. I didn't think I'd build another boat after building "Tipsy" my AD16, but looking at your thread is getting me itching again. :D

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:20 pm
by Jaysen
Bogieman wrote: ↑Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:04 pm This is such a nice build thread. I admire your craftsmanship as well. I've had HMD19 plans for a while. I didn't think I'd build another boat after building "Tipsy" my AD16, but looking at your thread is getting me itching again. :D
Build it! Build it! Build it!

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:48 pm
by BarraMan
The engine really sucks gas at WOT
That is a β€˜relative’ expression! :lol:

My 250 Vmax SHO tops out at about 24 US gal/hr! :help: