Knowing Limitations...

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mind's Slow OD18 Build

Post by mindunderwater »

I'll have to take another look at the nesting for the side panels when I get back to my plans.

Ordering some epoxy today to help get me started..

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

1.5 Gal epoxy is on the way. I have some work to do making saw horses tonight but I'll post pics when I can.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

1.5 Gal epoxy is on the way.
You're going to need about 20 more :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

Yep - sadly finances dictate a little here, a little there approach. The big thing I will keep an eye out for is making sure I have enough to conclude the step I am on. If I don't... I'll wait. The project will be worth it.

Separate note - I'm hawking now for a 'dont want to fix it' boat / motor / trailer combo. I see them here all the time, and of course they're often in questionable condition. Still, with a little looking around it isn't hard to find a 50-70HP ob, working great with controls, etc on a boat that's shot either due to floor, transom or both. Conveniently it's usually sitting on a trailer, too. The downside would be cutting up the boat for disposal or I guess having someone haul it away... and then finding suitable replacements for the control cables...

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Control cables are cheap, no worries there. The big thing to watch out for when buying cheap used boats is the title. Make sure the seller has a proper title for boat, motor and trailer. Otherwise you'll be stuck...
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

Yep - that's the other thing that $1200 gets you that $500 doesn't. Sure, the boat may be rotted either way but here you need titles for the motor and hull. There's some give on the trailer - generally you can do OK with a BoS IIRC. I won't keep the hull but don't want to have any legal issues with it.

Got tracking for my epoxy - it'll be here on Monday and I should be able to start layering the stringers then.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

mindunderwater wrote:Yep - that's the other thing that $1200 gets you that $500 doesn't. Sure, the boat may be rotted either way but here you need titles for the motor and hull. There's some give on the trailer - generally you can do OK with a BoS IIRC. I won't keep the hull but don't want to have any legal issues with it.

Got tracking for my epoxy - it'll be here on Monday and I should be able to start layering the stringers then.
So how does that work if you buy a motor out of state? Like here in AZ Outboard motors are not titled. You could buy one but how would you get a title in TX? :doh:
Completed: FL14, OD18

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

IDK my guess is more time waiting for things at a minimum. There's little reason to go through the hassle (lots of boats for sale here) in my case but if you're moving into the state, for example -IDK :doh:

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

Moving forward with the OD18. The pain of fitting in the garage I'll deal with later. It'll only be critical with the motor hung and I'm a bit away from that yet :)

Still cleaning out the garage (don't ask) but at least I have gotten the fish tank (75g) and stuff that went with it removed. I'll finish cutting up the old busted stand tonight and maybe take the torch to this busted bed frame. Then I'll just have a mattress I'll have to pay to have hauled off.

I'm going to stick with the ext. grade for the stringers esp in light of J pointing out that they're really more cores than anything. Too, they've been pretty good panels and short of straight hardwood I think I'd put their strength and stability up against just about anything I'm going to find in a 2x6. Should I hit the top with a rounding over bit so glass will drape more easily?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Should I hit the top with a rounding over bit so glass will drape more easily?
No, you don't need to glass the tops of them and they need to be flat for the sole to glue onto.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose