Knowing Limitations...

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mind's Slow OD18 Build

Post by mindunderwater »

Thanks - so you go UP the sides but not over the top? Somehow I have it in my head that they're pretty well covered...

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Yep. You just go up the sides with however many layers of fiberglass the lamination schedule calls for. Then you glue some boards across the tops of the stringers/bulkheads/sides to make a grid for the sole to be glued onto. It also creates the top of the "I" if you think of the stringers as I beams.

Here's a picture of how I did mine. In the future I will spot glue (with hot glue...CL style :D ) the top boards along the bulkheads/sides of the boats where the clamps don't fit.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

The wanna-be engineer in me has to wonder how much stronger these are vs. production boats. Wikipedia's got an interesting article on fiberglass that shows how tough epoxy-glass is vs. polyester. Something like 400 vs 1400 - whatever the units are that's impressive...

Alright - I'm going to cut out the rest of the stringers tonight since the temp is cooperating here and I have a little more room now.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Not sure of the numbers, but mine is at least strong enough to handle an 8" diameter oak branch from one of the biggest oak trees I've seen. It fell from about 35-40 feet and completely wiped out a wooden fence between my house and the neighbors as well as the ShelterLogic aluminum canopy that covered the boat.

The wooden cradle the boat was on was also busted in two places, but it didn't even scratch the fairing on the bottom of the boat 8) I have high hopes for the longevity of these boats :D

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

Thanks. I'll try to get some pictures up tonight or tomorrow. I've got to have something to show for all you guys' help!

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

Ran out of 3/4" so off to get another sheet of the stuff.

The voids there are appear to be across the whole panel. I'm just going to fill them with some end-cuts and epoxy and call it a day. The strength even in just one piece of the laminate is crazy.

Found out the local lumber store has a bin called "Aquatek". I think I figured 3 sheets of 1/4" and shipping it would be cheaper but good to know there's somewhere I can get it if I run short or have an 'oops'.

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

Stringers, bow-section cut out showing offset / overlap. They're held together here so I can even them out somewhat.

Note the voids here looking like little dark lines. The little ones I will fill with a small dowel soaked in epoxy. The bigger ones I'll just fill with epoxy.