Justin's P19

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Justin's P19

Post by Eric1 »

I was on a 50 mile run offshore with a friend of mine. He'd brought his brother in law with us. He was a city boy from up north and had never fished or You should have been there, He said I have to poop. I said go ahead. Then he asked what about the porta potty I saw when you showed us where the fire extinguisher was? 'I told him that was for my little girls to pee in, if they have to crap it goes in the bucket and over the side. Get ready for this...Next thing out of his mouth was, "What about the environment?" I started laughing and asked him if he'd thought about how much a whale craps.
He used the bucket.

Thar she blows! :lol:

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

:lol: :lol:

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Now that's funny :lol:
Novi 23 finally launched !

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

:lol: :lol:
Awright awright i'll get a bucket :lol:

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

blueflood wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:25 pm :lol: :lol:
Awright awright i'll get a bucket :lol:
Your dunny looks mighty fine Marc :D

Been fixing up a few things, filling some holes, etc.

The only thing really picture worthy was that I filleted and shaped the spray rails. I will route the edges when I flip the hull over so I can glass them in, I will then sharpen the water edge and leave the upper edge rounded. (I should routed the edges before gluing, but I didn't have one then, 2 years ago :lol: )

Cheers
Justin

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Good to see you at it Justin. Nice work. 8)
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Manly looking spray rails! Those rails will sure beat the water down 8)
Nice looking fillets and glass work as well :D
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Thanks Michael!
Aripeka Angler wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:36 pm Manly looking spray rails! Those rails will sure beat the water down 8)
Nice looking fillets and glass work as well :D
AA, I've never been very good at "dainty" work... :lol:

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Hey Justin it has been a while since i have visited the site. Years ago we discussed putting glass over the spray rails. Do not do that, I have wrestled with the glass on the spray rails for four years. The pressure from the water at planning speeds just removes sections of it like a water jet. I have found that coating them with epoxy primer and paint is all that is needed. The sides of them remain fine with no damage from normal use. This bright idea of mine has proven to not be so bright. Keep up the good work and relieve yourself the extra work. Dave BUILD-ON! The bottom to side profile is sharp no need to rout a round in it. I hope this helps.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Hope2float wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:25 pm Hey Justin it has been a while since i have visited the site. Years ago we discussed putting glass over the spray rails. Do not do that, I have wrestled with the glass on the spray rails for four years. The pressure from the water at planning speeds just removes sections of it like a water jet. I have found that coating them with epoxy primer and paint is all that is needed. The sides of them remain fine with no damage from normal use. This bright idea of mine has proven to not be so bright. Keep up the good work and relieve yourself the extra work. Dave BUILD-ON! The bottom to side profile is sharp no need to rout a round in it. I hope this helps.
Hmmm, sorry but I don't think I buy that. The fore part of my strakes act like spray rails and I bet the pressure on them at full chat is way more than yours. I went against guru (CL) advice and glassed my strakes. I glued (epoxy/woodflour) and screwed them to the hull then removed the screws and filled the holes with epoxy/woodflour. I radiused (?) the sharp edge and glassed the strakes onto the hull with 2 x overlapping layers of 6 oz biax tape, then sharpened them up again with epoxy/woodflour, sanded it all up nice and neat and finished them as per the usual - fairing compound, a couple of coats of epoxy, three coats of epoxy/graphite, then epoxy primer, polyurethane undercoat and three coats of polyurethaane topcoat.

I cruise around 30 kts and top out around 50 kts. The water pressure on the strake/spray rails has never looked like damaging my finish.