GF16 In The PSL

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
crackedconch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GF16 In The PSL

Post by crackedconch »

Except now at least one Hurricane fan knows where it is........hahaha 8)

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

I love your build to the point I'm going to build one of these myself. As CL said it's a pretty neat use of less than 10 sheets of plywood.... Your fishing pole tubes make me think I should go this route for my sending tubes - just continuing them from the midship seat aft (I want to do stick steer from the middle seat)

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

crackedconch wrote:Except now at least one Hurricane fan knows where it is........hahaha 8)
Ha, you may know but good luck getting to it... :lol:
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

mindunderwater wrote:I love your build to the point I'm going to build one of these myself. As CL said it's a pretty neat use of less than 10 sheets of plywood.... Your fishing pole tubes make me think I should go this route for my sending tubes - just continuing them from the midship seat aft (I want to do stick steer from the middle seat)
Thanks man...I have heard nothing bad about any of the GF series of boats, other than the slight rocker issue...I thought about stick steer to, but in the end I decided to keep it pretty basic....well kind of basic anyway :D . I have enjoyed the build process, very therapeutic, even the setbacks haven't really phased me that much.
Last edited by Noles309 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

My weight is the deciding factor here. I've already been backed down once in a jon boat that swamped. Granted that WAS with two guys my size and a heavier O/B than I'm planning on.

Sorry if I missed it but did you have a concrete selection made on an outboard?

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I got a deal I couldn't pass up on a 2011 20hp Nissan/Tohatsu 4 stroke. Its around 115-120 lbs I think. All the 4 strokes are heavy even the 9.9's are 100 lbs +/-.
I was originally planning on a 20-25 hp 2 stroke but like I said, I couldn't pass this one up.

Gary
GF-16 Completed

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

All right! That should push you along pretty good!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jorgepease »

I hear they are reliable motors!

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

So, I am wrestling with putting a jackplate on this boat or not. It will be mostly used on the flats. I don't have enough experience with one to know if its worthwhile on this type of boat or not. I will probably build my own. I'm to the point I need to drill the transom holes for the motor/plate. Any thoughts?
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I wouldn't put a jack plate on that boat. They tend to run light in the bow anyway and need some weight forward. Moving the motor (and CG) further back will just make it worse. It will draft plenty shallow as it is, Set the anti-ventilation plate about an inch above the bottom. Mine handled a lot better with a Doel Fin on the engine, helped keep the bow down and kept it from porpoising. But it was a 25 hp too.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose