GF16 In The PSL

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: GF16 In The PSL

Post by Noles309 »

Using the Cracker method of laying out the curves on the sides.

I'm resisting the urge to go full bore on this and trying to take it slow and steady. The frames, seat tops, deck, transoms, clamping boards and sides are cut.The next step is laying out and cutting the bottom panels.

Gary
GF-16 Completed

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I laid out the bottom panels tonight. I will cut it tomorrow and plan to glass the splices on Wednesday. Maybe have a boat by the weekend...

Gary
GF-16 Completed

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Spliced one side of the side panels today amidst the crappy weather.

Gary
GF-16 Completed

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

very fair lines 8) nice job

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Thanks Joel.

Today I spliced the mid seat top together and did the other side of the side panels. I did allot better with the epoxy quantity today, pretty much got it right on the money.

Gary
GF-16 Completed

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Splices look great! Not bad for a first timer 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Alright, I made a major screw up I'm afraid.
I cut the rear section on the side panels 2.5" too tall. I overlooked the rear dimension at the transom on the plans and cut the whole back of the boat at 1' 8 7/8" instead of the 1' 6 3/8". How can I fix it? I'm guessing the transom angle is off, the bow curve and maybe the bottom is now too short? I know I cant take it off of the sheer line. Can I cut it off the bottom and blend it into the bow curve? I'm thinking if i do that the transom angle will be wrong if that matters that much.
Do I start all over with new ply? Of course I didn't figure it out until I was putting it together and the transom was way too short.... I'm pissed in the PSL...
Gary
GF-16 Completed

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Now is a good time to stop and review. My thinking is that the panels need to be like the plans show or it won't assemble properly. Lay the measurements out like you would before you cut and see what you have extra or are missing. Builders sometimes opt to change the sheer line, but your chine edge needs to be like the plans show or the side panels wont fit the bottom panels or the frames. Hopefully you won't need to buy new plywood, but don't do any more cutting until you have it all figured out. Lay out the proper lines on the panel and post pictures, if you have questions.
Hank

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Thanks peewee. I got it figured out after an hour or so of pondering today. I think i'm good to go. I have both sides clamped together and will cut it tomorrow.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Can I cut it off the bottom and blend it into the bow curve?
If the cut is only offset a little high, then you should be able to re-draw the correct curve on the existing parts, then trim.