Wouter's PH18 Namibia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Wouter's PH18 Namibia

Post by TomW1 »

Wouter beautiful boat. When do we see pictures of her in the water?
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

And she is 'SPLASHED'!!! And 'FLOATS'!!!

What a week it was! Had a minor mishap after launching, connected the hydrolic steering backwards :lol: Not so much fun to steer a boat in that manner, but luckily it was an easy fix. Then did the first 2hrs idling time as required, after which I put her on plane for the 1 st time. Had the motor way to low and she porpoused a bit. Took her out and readjusted the motor height and she went way better. But still only got 4400 revs with my own prop 16 24P 3 blade. Took her out again and lifted the motor up even more and borrowed a 15 1/4 24P 4 blade prop and she went much better.

Holeshot is perfect, she gets on top very easy! With the increased height and smaller prop she got up to 72km/h with 5100 revs. Very stable ride and we decided to fish her like that for the competition. (seeing that no one had other props for me to try)

We caught some very nice fish and ended up 5th overall for the competition, which I'm super stoked about!! (my 1st top 10 placing for this event!!)

I still think the motor needs to come up some more and I feel I need to experiment with a few different props now until I find a good balance I still need to get another 800-900 rpms). I'll have to redesign the motor bracket for me to be able to lift the motor up further and I would like to get a little bit more angle on the motor. I'll draw up some options and see if I can get it manufactured here or otherwise try and source it from somewhere.

Electronics on the boat work fantastic!! I'm super happy with onboard DC-DC charger, we didn't have to charge or take batteries out for 10 days straight, that's awesome!!

The livewell auto uptake works like a bomb, takes around 4 minutes for it to fill up and drains at the same speed as it fills, so that works great!

Needles to say I'm SUPER HAPPY!!! :P

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Is there a way to share a video clip on the forum..? I got a small clip of us passing on plane!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congratulations Wouter!!! She is a beauty!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Wouter wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 am Is there a way to share a video clip on the forum..? I got a small clip of us passing on plane!
Best option is post to youtube then use the youtube widget here.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Wouter wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:00 pm [youtube]https://youtu.be/AtfxPWq-GlU[/youtube]
NIce!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Thanx Jason!!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Congratulations on both the boat and the fishing. Nice way to start off using the boat :D The boat looks simply stunning.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Stunning boat! Congrats on the splash!