Wouter's PH18 Namibia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Wouter's PH18 Namibia

Post by fallguy1000 »

What is the application for the carbon panels? Are they just decorative?

That looks like the right amount of carbon for my build.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape man

Post by cape man »

Too cool.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

You're doing a fine job on this boat.

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Final primer coat applied to gunnel and console, did the wet sanding last night, looks good! No more Pinholes!! Planning on doing the top coat this upcoming weekend if the weather plays ball.

On the vacuum bagging -Orangequest- I managed to score a vacuum pump from a friend of mine in the medical industry, It's actually from a heart & lung machine, but works perfectly for my application. I added the "air con refill canister" in between the pump and the suction fitting to act as a "fluid container" just in case some of the epoxy gets sucked up, then it will end up in die container and not in the pump.
As for the layup, I used some peel ply I still have left over and then for the breathing material I used cloth that is actually intended for sealing a roof, but it works just as well and is much cheaper then the 'official stuff". I sealed the bag using silicone, again cheaper then the double sided tape offered by the suppliers and it worked well! I'm still experimenting with it, so still early days and learning as I go along.

Fallguy1000 - I've cut out pieces of the carbon sheet I made, they will house the switches and different electronic bits and pieces on the console.(see pic in my previous post) It is purely for aesthetics, I had aluminum pieces before but the carbon just looks so much better! 8)

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thank you for taking the time to explain your set up. It does seem to work nicely.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Shame on me for not paying attention! Your boat is looking Super Nice!!!

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Got her top coat on!! Pics just don't do it justice, but here they are!

Three layers of base coat, Candy Apple Red, One clear coat mixed with 0.06 Silver holographic flakes, 6 clear coats on top.

Base coat going on.

After all coats and masking tape removed.

Gave the rear corners a bit of a finishing touch, my gf says it looks like drops and should remind me of all the sweat I've put into the boat! :lol:

The corner pattern does seem to just round the paint job off nicely!

Extended the paint to the edge of the console, giving the face of the console a better 'framed' look.

Cant see the true reflections of the flakes in the pics, but I think we got the amount of flakes just right.

Went to fetch her this afternoon and she is now back home. Just had to see what the cup holder will look like in the bow, the carbon also came out top notch!!

She sure glitters like a star in the sun!!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Wow! That's one sharp looking boat.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Wow!!! 8) 8)
Hank

peterrivers
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by peterrivers »