Wouter's PH18 Namibia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Wouter's PH18 Namibia

Post by Fuzz »

Not sure how much help this will be but I had similar problems with my Sintes 21. Either I made a mistake when building the hull 30 years age or it has some rocker built into it. Plus the way way I built it the hull is a little stern heavy. Anything over 25 and she would porpoise bad enough to toss you out. Even putting 250# in the bow did not cure it even with the motor trimmed all the way in. Raising the motor helped as did moving weight forward but the cure was trim tabs. Now I can run 40 with no ill handling. You probably have checked but make sure you do not have some rocker that crept in.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

I agree with Fuzz that the Trim tabs are the way to go.

You will likely improve handling, hole shot, top speed and Fuel efficiency.

I have used both Electric (Lenco) and Hydraulic (Bennett) trim tabs. They are equivalent in performance. The electrics are easier for the DIY installer and do not require space inside the boat for a hydraulic fluid reservoir and pump.

The size to use would be a 9” X 9” or a 12” (span) X 9” (chord).

Span (width) has more effect than the cord (depth).

After using trim tabs on my last 3 boats I can’t imagine not having them, they are that useful.

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

I have the Lenco Electric 9x12 trim tabs and they work great. The only porpoising I have experienced is at WOT with the motor lifted high with the jackplate and trimmed up excessively.
Completed D15, Completed PH18

Dustinwg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dustinwg »

I also have the 9x12 Lenco Trim Tabs and have not had any problem with them. It is nice to have them as they make a significant difference when getting on plane and when heading straight into a significant chop, to push the bow down and be able to cut through waves rather than pound on top of them on the flatter part of the hull.

My experience is similar to cvincent in that I do not get really any porpoising except at WOT.

With that said, I do have weight forward as I put my 24 gallon fuel tank forward under the front casting deck, and not sure if the fact that I have a jet affects that at all.

I would try moving the batteries up first to redistribute weight to see if that it improves the ride at all.

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Thank you guys for all the feedback! Much appreciated.

I'm pretty much sold on the trim tabs idea. :D

I've found a seller of the Nauticus trim tabs who's willing to courier to me, but not one for the Bennet's.

Any thoughts on the Nauticus self levelling trim tabs..?

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Hi everyone.

Thanx so much for the trim tab info on my last post. Some feedback: I fitted the hydrolic self leveling tabs from Nauticus and it makes a world of difference!! Hole shot has improved dramatically but I'm more impressed with the added stability and the fact that I can now drive straight without any porpoising. I'm also now able to trim the motor out to horizontal and that makes a huge difference on rpm and speed. I used a 4 blade 23p prop which gave me 6000 rpm's and a speed of 50mph and gives a very comfortable ride. Trimming the motor out further increases the speed but then she becomes a bit unstable, so I'm super happy to be able to cruise at 50mph!

cape man

Post by cape man »

So good to hear you are happy with the results. Your boat is still one of my favorite builds I've seen here. How about some more action pictures including some fishing reports? 50 mph is impressive!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

That is really good news!! And agree with Cape Man, was a thrill to follow your build but would love to see and hear more about it on the water!!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Rollbar1
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Rollbar1 »

How does she handle the chop-1'-2'?
Very nice.
Ascend FS128T "The Yacht" with a MotorGuide 30lb TM.
Upcoming: Sabine 19'x6'5" Flats Boat build.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Your build is just amazing! And 50mph cruise is FAST! Little faster than I would be comfortable :help:
When you get a chance some in the water pictures would be great :D