Wouter's PH18 Namibia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Wouter's PH18 Namibia

Post by Wouter »

Hi guys,

Apologies for being away for so long, what a roller coaster it's been over the last 12 months or so.

But I owe you some updates :-)

I've done the trailer fenders in marine ply and covered them with FG, paint matched the boat so it looks cool and it just happens to be super functional as well :-)

With all the lock-downs etc. we managed only one tournament last year. But it turned out to be a successful one!!
Finished 5th overall (again) but this time we took the best individual angler as well as the main prize for the most valuable single fish. Bagged ourselves a Goliath Tiger Fishing trip to Tanzania as the prize!! So looking forward to doing that sometime soon. (travel bans dependent :doh: )

Here are some of the fish we caught:
Nembwe, caught on a crank bait that I airbrushed myself (dabbling in the airbrushing baits thing lately 8)

Another Nembwe

My Three Spot

Riaan's three spot that won the main prize!

Just had to make a mount for lasting memories :D

On the boat front: I've been tinkering with the motor setup and the trim tabs and I'm at the point where I can leave it as it is, everything is now as good as it's gonna get and I'm super happy with the performance. Took a while, but now the testing and trying things are done, so I can just go launch and go fish :-)
I am going to change the steering wheel configuration, it's sitting a bit flat and would like to angle the steering wheel a bit more upwards just to make it more comfortable for me. Still got to get a game plan together for doing this, but it'll happen soon.

Best Regards to you all!!

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Congrats on the fenders and fishing! Both look great!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congrats Wouter, your boat and trailer look great!! And, nice win!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Everything looks great Wouter. Congrats on the win!

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Nice!!!. Please post pics of the Tiger fish when you go on the trip you won.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

This build thread should be on the required reading list for all new builders, it's just amazing!

Congrats Wouter!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Thanx everyone! :D

Paul, unfortunately we hooked into a few nice Tiger fish but were unable to land them. They can be tricky to land at times :lol:

Almost forgot: after a few fishing days I realized I needed a tool holder, so made one out of carbon and mounted it on the console. Having used it now, it's in the perfect position on the boat and makes it so much easier when having multiple anglers, whether fishing from the front or the back it's easily accessible.

I made a flat sheet of carbon and cut it to shape. Then made some plugs from hardwood to the shape of the pliers and scissors. Covered them with packing tape and vacuum bagged some carbon over them. (included a magnet in between the carbon layers, helps to lock down the tools) I then glued the 'holder pieces' onto the flat carbon and gave it a good layer of clear self leveling casting epoxy. The lip grip is held in place with a simple kitchen cabinet broom holder, works pretty well. Simple but very effective :-)

cape man

Post by cape man »

Too slick!!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That tool holder is a small thing but it is amazing none the less. You have a truly custom boat!

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Happy birthday Wouter! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).