Wouter's PH18 Namibia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wouter's PH18 Namibia

Post by Jeff »

Great fishing!!!! Jeff

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Excellent!

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

8)

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Nice fishing Wouter. I also noticed getting caught up on what you had been up to that you were having prop problems. I did a rough calculation for you based on your PH18 leaving the dock weighing 2300 lbs. all in, 2 men, fuel, gear and all wiring and electrical and mechanical gear, plus that nice Suzuki. For a 3 blade I show a 16 x 24 and for a for a 4 blade a 15.75 x 21. If you want a better number calculate all the weights in your boat and let me know. The 4 blade will let you raise the motor the most.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Wouter, congratulations! You have worked very hard and she is beautiful!

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Thank you ALL for the great comments and support, it is much appreciated! :D I'm sure you all can appreciate how happy I am after spending so much time on the build and then have her perform pretty good without any major issues 8) Now it is just tweaking here and there to get her to run even better!

I've removed the mudgaurds on the trailer and will build some fiberglass replacements. Those metal ones were just to flimsy and made putting the boat back on the trailer a bit of a job. Still contemplating if I should build a plug and make a mold or if I should just use the off cut 9mm marine ply I still have and build them from that and cover them in FG.

I've drawn up a new jackplate bracket that will allow me some more height on the motor, also has an additional 8 degrees of tilt, which will help with trimming the boat once on plane. It seems like the Suzuki runners here all have an extra 'wedge' on their motor mounts for that purpose! Anyone else noticed that elsewhere..? :doh: Sent the plans out to a few local machine shops hoping that I could get it done locally.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Nice work on the boat.

Make the trailer from wrapped plywood for custom pieces. Stiffer than frp when wrapped and faster than moulds.

I gotta admit I am confused as hell by that drawing on a couple points.

First of all, I only see a 90 degree angle. Is that thing just a bump stop? A wedge needs to be solid.

Then 8 degrees? Why would you want 8 degrees?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Maybe this pic will be better to understand the 'bracket'.

I have a jackplate that is mounted to the transom, but want to make a piece that fits within the existing jackplate that I can just bolt on. The motor will then get bolted unto that piece.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Those fish are nice!

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Hi Everyone.

Spent the December holidays on the Zambezi river, had a blast and a good rest.

Done a bunch of test runs with different props and motor heights, but I'm still porpoising when going dead straight, even at lower revs cruising.
I started off by lifting the motor up from the previous position and using the same prop (4 blade 24 pitch), that gave me around 300 more revs but the boat was way to unstable, so dropped it down again. With a 3 blade 21 pitch I hit the rev limiter without trimming out at all. The 3 blade 23 pitch gave the best results and I can run around 5700-5800 revs with it.

However I'm still at a very high negative angle just to keep the nose down and trying to prevent porpoising. See below pic. (thats as much as I can trim out)

So currently I need to use the motor in a very inefficient way to keep the boat in somewhat of a driveable attitude.

It's clear to me that I will not be able to resolve this issue with motor height and props alone. I'm thinking I need to make some changes so that I can get the motor angled in a way more efficient manner.

Options:
1. Weight distribution, I can move the batteries forward. I have 4 batteries, 3 deepcycles and 1 crancking battery, combined with the onboard charger weighs 100kg. That's a lot of weight that I can move around. Any thoughts..?
2. Trim Tabs, I'm thinking that trim tabs would help push the nose down so that I can trim the motor out..? Anybody got some experience with fitting trim tabs on the PH 18? What size, brand and lb would be the best.?

Regards