New Braunfels - PH18 Jet

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: New Braunfels - PH18 Jet

Post by Wouter »

The boat is looking great!

Dustinwg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dustinwg »

Been trying to get back after it lately.

Got the final design done on the rod holders and then laminated an additional layer of 3/8 on either side of bulkhead C and rounded all the corners.

Got the courage up to drill through the hull for the bow eye, filled it and installed a block for added strength.

Did a seal coat over the entire interior, and starting to install all of the cleats.

About to start installing chase tubes and plumbing and looking for any advice anyone has on chase tube sizing for motor cables, hydraulic lines for steering and fuel lines.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Looks great, Dustin.

Tube-wise, what I did was 2" x 2 from transom to console on one side, 1 1/2" from transom to console on the other side, 1 1/2" from transom to bow, and 1" for the 3/8" ID fuel line (my fuel line goes through easily even through all curves).

Congratulations on your baby girl!

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

How is the Phantom coming? I am a fan....
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Wow, I missed this one. That is beautiful glass work :!:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Dustinwg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dustinwg »

Been working slowly but surely lately.

Got the Chase tubes in and about 90% of the drains.

About 70% done with foam. I have a little more done that what is in the photos. Also, the area in front of the console between the two inner stringers is going to be a fish box, with a hatch in the sole. I put a layer of 3/4" Styrofoam down, installed 3/8" plywood on top of that and then glassed the whole inside of this compartment. With all that insulation around it, it should be as good as a Yeti.

And got a mock up console built. I am going to have a pod helm (concealed steering pump and throttle assembly)

Something similar to this is what I am planning on building for the console, but all painted (no teak).

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Very nice 8) You can't buy a boat in a store made that well, not anywhere.

That steering pod looks familiar :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Really nice progress, Dustin. It's all looking great, and I've got to say you are very good at cutting the foam tops.

Running the boat looks like it will be very ergonomic while you are standing. How will it be while you're sitting down? Are you going to use a tilt helm, or is there any need for one? Or are you using a leaning post? Just curious.

Will

Dustinwg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dustinwg »

Appreciate the kind words! The reason I decided to build a boat is because I couldn't find a production boat that had everything I wanted, and I didn't want a boat that you see all over the place. And yes I took a few notes from your last build Cracker!!

Will, cutting the foam down is a pain!! That's why I was hoping you found some new easy way to shave it down. But I do not plan on sitting while running this boat, because I want to be running skinny with the jet and you have to stay on your toes. Also, all the flats I plan on fishing are not far from ramps, so I do t plan on running real far to get to fish.

Dustinwg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dustinwg »

Getting close to getting the entire sole glued down. Only have to finish cutting out a couple more pieces, but before I glue down the large portion of the sole (under the console) I have a question regarding the foam. Would it change the ride/deck stiffness if I leave the foam out under the console, between the inner stringers (between bulk heads C & D)? All other stringer boxes are foamed, with the exception of the one directly in from of this one for the fish box. I have a check valve for the fish box drain and am wanting to leave access to this plumbing and not foam this section. Thoughts?

Got all the under deck livewell/beer box plumbing in and recessed the drains.

And started prepping the front two hatches to paint with tinted epoxy.