PNW CX 25 scaled up

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
PNWcx25
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PNW CX 25 scaled up

Post by PNWcx25 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:00 am I can't wait to see this thing outta the tent. Good luck!
So does my wife, she keeps trying to put plants in it - she thinks I built her a green house :help:

PNWcx25
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PNWcx25 »

Well, that didn't take long, stripped the old layer off now on to cleaning then sanding
Attachments
IMG_20171124_114415156_TOP.jpg
IMG_20171124_120127481.jpg
IMG_20171124_120022100_HDR.jpg

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

I hate to say it, but that taping does not appear to be wetted out completely to me!

PNWcx25
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PNWcx25 »

BarraMan wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:34 pm I hate to say it, but that taping does not appear to be wetted out completely to me!
Go ahead make me cry...

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

Sorry, have to agree. Especially on the keel - that looks almost like it hasn't even seen any epoxy.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

First I thought could be the sanding then I zoomed in looks indeed dry and not adhesed to the hull at some points

PNWcx25
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PNWcx25 »

That's what I keep thinking-I would go to other builds and see transparent wood through their work. So I added more and more epoxy seemed like it would be 1/4 inch thick without any really change to fiberglass. Went back to silver tip site several times to re-exam coverage area - rule of thumb I'm using per thier site is 15 oz should cover an area of 3x5. I'm covering less area with 18oz's. I'm wetting first then laying down the glass then wetting it again, then wetting any spots that I think look dry. The tape was wetted out wet on wet three layers each then a final coat to cover it. Had a serious problem with epoxy running - I'm just not sure it could have gotten any wetter. That said I'll looking at it again.

First I'm going to have a drink- today was not fun boat build day... tomorrow will be better.
Last edited by PNWcx25 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNWcx25
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PNWcx25 »

I just ran the epoxy calculation ratio here on the site - it appears I'm using more epoxy than average but way less than a beginner. I've not been too concerned with using more than average realizing the divinycell soaks up way more epoxy than wood. I spread it with a yellow plastic spreader or the black one from Lowes pressing down to infuse the epoxy into the fiberglass then rolling it with one of those metal fiberglass rollers to get the air pockets out. Guess I'll do some retesting tomorrow. Just thinking out loud here while I enjoy this mighty fine Brandy.

Cheers

Tony
Last edited by PNWcx25 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Nidacore and the foams both soak up some resin. I am pretty sure JM stated it would help to first put a thin coat on the core, let it tack up, and then do your glassing over it. I have been working a bunch with Nidacore recently and that is what I am doing and it seems to work much better for me. I hate to jump on the bandwagon but I think the guys are correct. What weight glass are you using? And I think you said three layers all wet on wet? I do know many layers laid at one time will start to look white even when well wet out. Might try the same layers over a scrape piece of wood and see if it looks white?

PNWcx25
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PNWcx25 »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:00 pm Nidacore and the foams both soak up some resin. I am pretty sure JM stated it would help to first put a thin coat on the core, let it tack up, and then do your glassing over it. I have been working a bunch with Nidacore recently and that is what I am doing and it seems to work much better for me. I hate to jump on the bandwagon but I think the guys are correct. What weight glass are you using? And I think you said three layers all wet on wet? I do know many layers laid at one time will start to look white even when well wet out. Might try the same layers over a scrape piece of wood and see if it looks white?
Tape is 12 oz, hull is 1708 - 20 oz w/mat, I am putting a thin coat on the core as well, usually tacky by the time I get back to putting the tape on.

Thanks
Last edited by PNWcx25 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.