PNW CX 25 scaled up

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: PNW CX 25 scaled up

Post by peter-curacao »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:00 pm I do know many layers laid at one time will start to look white even when well wet out.
You're correct but that white? tried to find a comparable pic from my build this is the best what I could find, it indeed does look a little white but there is a difference I think :doh:

topwater

Post by topwater »

I prewet my 12oz tape before i put it on the hull . Rule of thumb for me is 1oz of epoxy per foot of tape . This is for plywood
construction. I can usually cut back a little the more i do as there is some left in the wet out tray as i squeegee out each piece.
Novi 23 finally launched !

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

tried to find a comparable pic from my build this is the best what I could find
Indeed, I had the same thought - this was the best I could come up with!

PNWcx25
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PNWcx25 »

Got up to a really slow start this morning , Haven't done one of those nights for 20 years. :) Thank you all for the pictures and concern, I do appreciate them it.

Realized last night that I had to pry the bad glass off the tape, then crawled on top of the boat to rip it of the keel (which has 1708 on it). It's stuck on there pretty damn good, actually pulled some of the divinycell off and some strands of the 1708 ( whiter spots on the keel).

I wonder if building out it the sun has change the coloring, or if by post curing the tape the coloring has change. Non- the- less I've got a buddy going to come over next week who has built two boats largest a 21'. He also sells fiberglass product to the wind surfers and kayakers.

Until then I've got to do a road trip to Bosie, Id. The wives RV is perfect except for the standard seats, quite painful when in them too long. Found a guy that has knowledge of the newer Ford 450 seat belt electricals' who is going to replace the seats. So we are off for a mini vacation while they work on it.

Keep the Ideas and concerns coming even the ones that are painfully helpful. :wink:

Tony

If I'm not making mistakes, I'm not learning.

PNWcx25
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PNWcx25 »

Proceed as if you know what you are doing... I'm not sure if that is the best advise I've ever be given.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

There is a lot of help available on the forum, but it can also feel like Monday Morning quarterbacking at times. It is your boat, you have to live with your decisions, not anyone else. Build on confidently knowing that the plans and building notes are your guide. The online tutorials are good references and the forum is a back-up.

Whatever happens you will most likely be able to change or fix. Take special care in the mixing of chemicals as the one thing we’ve all found is that a minute of incorrect mixing can lead to days of frustrating clean-up. An example is when you mix your Epoxy as a 2:1 mix but this type of Epoxy requires a 5:1 mix. One reason not to use different brands on a build, gets confusing.

I’ve been enjoying following your build. The boat will turn out great. Build on!

PNWcx25
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PNWcx25 »

28 degrees in the tent, no clean up mistake work getting done today.
I'm using denatured alcohol and white vinegar to loosen then scrape the uncured epoxy. I had put down a coat of epoxy mix on the divinycell the day before I wetted down the fiberglass with the bad mix. The theory at this point is the good epoxy sealed the pores on the divinycell, so a good scrapping, washing and light sanding will give a good mechanical bond. As far as the whiteness of the taped seams I'll address that when this task is completed.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Tarp the boat for any long stretches in the sun. My canoe has seen not more than 60 days in the sun in its 15 year life and the epoxy degraded where not covered from UV. In the barn uv into an upside down boat? Just small garage door lights and one north facing window.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

PNWcx25
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PNWcx25 »

Good Idea thanks

PNWcx25
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PNWcx25 »

After being in Mexico for more than a month the tent did it's best to hold up to the snow ( most we've had in twenty years).
tent13.jpg
tent13.jpg (31.01 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
The wife felt sorry for me and had these plans drawn up. What can I say - we bought an acre to place it on.
Garage space 2730 sq. ft.
courtney.jpg
If all goes right the warm covered work space should be ready in September.

A boat really shouldn't be build in a tent...