FS14 -2 week (+11 month build).... Done and spashed

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14 2 week build

Post by deuce_454 »

Damnit :oops: .... i just noticed looking at the pictures i put the butt block on the stringer on the wrong side... ie.. i made 2 left ones... that is a mistake im willing to live with.... and it should have no influence at all... other than annoying my sense of perfection ... but as it will be permanently enclosed in the middle seat and covered with epoxy and biax... the torment of knowing its in there is negligible compared to scraping the semiset epoxy off.. and doing it over...

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It doesn't matter.
I like symmetry but it does not affect the strength of the boat to have stringer copies instead of mirror image.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I like symmetry
Me too. I'm also anal. I'd glue matching butt blocks on the opposite side of each. Symmetry :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Cracker Larry wrote:
I like symmetry
Me too. I'm also anal. I'd glue matching butt blocks on the opposite side of each. Symmetry :D

:lol:
Great idea.

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

I think that is exactly what ill do... i know in my head that it makes no difference, but i have had a really hard time not fixing that mistake already... installing extra symmetry enhancing butt-blocks will make me sleep better.. they will get a pair of "cracker Larry tribute - stringer doubler" before finally being glassed in.. :D

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

measurements doesn't add up

Post by deuce_454 »

im in the process of mounting the frames to the strongbacks and the height from "seat top lower face" to stringer top is not consistent its 248mm om the rear and mit seat, but on the bow seat frame its not .. (348-97 = 251) 3mm off
going backwards (592-97-245)=250 (thats bow frame height - stringer pocket depth - seat level lower face) its still 2 mm off... im wondering if the bulge that people seem to get on the FS14 isn't a result of the bow frame sitting a bit high??

if it were 254mm i could deduce witch one was off... but neither 248, 250 or 251 are intuitively obvious right or wrong...

im thinking i should treat the stringer top as the correct datum line.. but that leaves me with the problem at the transom as the stringer top isn't marked?? i take it that its the "seat level, lower face" on the transom 57mm above the clamping board lower face thats the setup line?

but i just want to be 101% sure

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

evening day 4...

Post by deuce_454 »

after much fitting, refitting, planing, sanding, fitting, grunting, cursing and much nashing of teeth it now resembles a boat...
some small hick-ups setting up the jig and having to plane 2 mm of the sides of the stations to get a decent fit was a preface to having to lift the stitches hull on and off 4 timed before it was ready for post welding.... and without further ado: pictures

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

i stapled some Polyethylene sheeting to the bow frame and stations so it wouldn't get prematurely glued to the hull sides

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Beautiful, precise.
Hey, have you left any time in your very tight schedule for epoxy that doesn't kick, holidays, bubbles in the glass, glitches that get worse when you try to make them better, and fits of crying?
Tony

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Nice and fair.
Is that Okume plywood?