FS19 in Washington State

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS19 in Washington State

Post by jacquesmm »

No need for a fiberglass splice over the puzzle joint when the two sides are going to be covered by fiberglass.
We tested puzzle joints with and without glass splice and there was no difference.
The puzzle joint is in the neutral axis and does not contribute much to strength.
This applies only to panels with at least one layer of structural glass on each side (minimum 12 oz. biaxial 45/45).
All other require a glass splice.
For example, on a small boat topside, with no glass inside and just a thin layer of glass outside, we need a fiberglass splice on the inside.
The puzzle joints exist only in kits and if necessary, the kit notes mention the fiberglass splice.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cazuza »

1. DQ (dumb question) coming up. I've been worrying how is the transom supported and located as part of the jig. Studying the notes and pictures it looks like the motor well sides are glued to the stringers and the some sort of separate jig must be built to support the transom. (That hummer is heavy, must be close to a 100 lbs). Should the hull panels encase the transom or butt-up against the fwd outbd corners of the transom.
Tim

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The transom is very heavy and must be supported by more than the motorwell sides.
The motorwell sides give it the correct angle but to support the transom, clamp a 2x4 to it, the 2x4 resting on the shop floor.

Yes, the transom fist between the sides and the bottom.

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by remedy32 »

No need for a fiberglass splice over the puzzle joint when the two sides are going to be covered by fiberglass.
We tested puzzle joints with and without glass splice and there was no difference.
The puzzle joint is in the neutral axis and does not contribute much to strength.
This is a nice benefit of the kit. Do this carefully and the fairing and paint job get a bit simpler.

Bill

cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cazuza »

Haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd give an update. Here are pictures of the Nidacore motor well sides glued to the stringers. One of the motor well side has a slight interference with the stringer slot. we'll wait until the stringers and molds are installed to see how it fits.Since then we are setting up the molds on the strongback. We should have this done in the next couple of days. The 2 car garage is starting to get smaller.

Tim

cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cazuza »

OK, here goes the 2nd dumb question 2. DQ, when attaching the transom to the hull because of the angle between the transom and the hull the space is larger on the inside. Do you inject the glue, (wood flour or EZ Fillet mixture) from the inside?
Tim

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yes, just pack thickened epoxy in from the inside to fill the gap and finish it with a smooth fillet. Then tape over it.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS19 in Washington State Jig and Bow Mold

Post by cazuza »

Today we put the bow mold and one of the hull molds into place. I build the jig 16 feet long as specified in the notes but with wheels.Here are some pictures.

Here's a picture of the jig next to my car in the garage. Not a lot of space. That's why I put the jig on wheels.

Here's a picture of the jig with the bow mold in place. I had to notch it to accommodate the bow mold. I will also have to extend the jig 3 feet so I can build a fixture to hold the transom and allow the whole thing to roll on the wheels. I hope the baseline is established by frame A height and not the bow mold.
Tim

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Good pictures.
You can't go wrong with the baseline there. As long as the bow mold lines up with mold A you will be fine.

cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cazuza »

3. DQ There are no holes drilled in the Bow Mold. Should I drill holes and run the tie wraps through both the Bow Mold and th hull panels to pull the hull into shape and not have the famous "droop".
Tim