TX 18 EXTRA FUEL

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

TX 18 EXTRA FUEL

Post by Prarie Dog »

I've recently fallen into a TX18 and due to the way the boat is equipped it has limited range. It has a 14 gallon tank and a 90HP Yamaha on it. Initially I thought about building a leaning post that had a 30 or 40 gallon tank in the bottom of it. Then I considered the boat is trim sensitive and thought about putting some tankage under the front deck. The problem with the front deck is the top of the inverted vee sticks up into and takes up a bunch of space in that area so it may not be appropriate for tankage. Any ideas would be appreciated. :doh:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: TX 18 EXTRA FUEL

Post by Cracker Larry »

Are saddle tanks under the gunwales a possibility?
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Thanks Larry, might be room but it's not very tall, something like 5 inches, but it is wide.
Will measure tonight.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Paul, have you considered a reconfiguration of the center console? Build a bigger one and put the extra fuel tank in the forward section of the console? Can you tie the new tank into your existing tank?
Is this your brother David's boat that we rode on at the first Texas meet?
Dang, too many questions :lol: How have you been doing my friend :D
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Hi Richard, this is Brother Dave's boat, he has a passell of grandkids and needed a barge to haul them around in, too easy for little kids to fall out of the TX18.

We thought about changing the center console but he has a tank in the front of it that's plumbed and works fine the Tee Top and all that. I need to get a degree in Electrical Engineering before I start jacking around with the center console, this boat has a lot of electronics.

It would be easier to add a leaning post because the boat has very little storage, the LP would help that.

We've all been fine T's a senior in high school this year and has been visiting a bunch of Colleges, Texas A&M looks like it's the one.

How are you guys doing??

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Hi Richard, this is Brother Dave's boat, he has a passell of grandkids and needed a barge to haul them around in, too easy for little kids to fall out of the TX18.

We thought about changing the center console but he has a tank in the front of it that's plumbed and works fine the Tee Top and all that. I need to get a degree in Electrical Engineering before I start jacking around with the center console, this boat has a lot of electronics.

It would be easier to add a leaning post because the boat has very little storage, the LP would help that.

We've all been fine T's a senior in high school this year and has been visiting a bunch of Colleges, Texas A&M looks like it's the one.

How are you guys doing??

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

PD I looked at the Performance Bulletins for the YammI 90. With the 14 gallon tank you have now and if you could add a 20 gallon tank for a total of 34G this would give you a range of 180 miles without any safety factor, maybe 120 with. Of course this depends on you being able to tie the two tanks together.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Prarie Dog wrote:Hi Richard, this is Brother Dave's boat, he has a passell of grandkids and needed a barge to haul them around in, too easy for little kids to fall out of the TX18.

How are you guys doing??
Paul, I'm 100% positive you are qualified enough to tackle that center console :wink:
Short of bringing along an extra portable can of gas, I'm not sure where else you could add a tank without ripping up the floor...
Great to hear T is getting ready to for college, I am sure he will do great :D
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Is this a 2 stroke, or 4 stroke 90 Yamaha?
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Larry, it's a 4 stroke fuel injected 90.