TX 18 EXTRA FUEL

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: TX 18 EXTRA FUEL

Post by Prarie Dog »

TomW1 wrote:PD I looked at the Performance Bulletins for the YammI 90. With the 14 gallon tank you have now and if you could add a 20 gallon tank for a total of 34G this would give you a range of 180 miles without any safety factor, maybe 120 with. Of course this depends on you being able to tie the two tanks together.

Tom

Thanks Tom. We were thinking about adding 30 or 40 gallons.

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Aripeka Angler wrote:
Paul, I'm 100% positive you are qualified enough to tackle that center console :wink:
Short of bringing along an extra portable can of gas, I'm not sure where else you could add a tank without ripping up the floor...
Great to hear T is getting ready to for college, I am sure he will do great :D
You might be right Richard. Thanks.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

We were thinking about adding 30 or 40 gallons.
That's a lot. You may be surprised how far that engine will run on a little gas. It's the same one we put on the GF18 and it's fuel economy is amazing. Of course it only has to run at half throttle to scare you to death :lol: This is a cut from an email I got from Rogerdog over the weekend...

So we went out to the lake with friends on Saturday, and the boat was great.

There were four of us plus Isabelle’s friend, five XXXX's and three YYYYYYYs for a total of 13 (five adults, four 13 year olds and four Charlotte’s size). Kilpatricks had a pontoon boat. We were not all on Soleil, but at one point there were three adults and six kids on the boat pulling a tube with two kids (two adults were on the pontoon). Boat handled great, and I noticed that with the extra weight, the boat would turn better in a tight circle. Turning a full circle is best done in a series of short turns then straighten the wheel and turn again rather than hard-over the wheel and force it all the way around – I do not want to get her sideways at speed and trip over a chine. I’m a no picture taking fool.

Fuel economy is fantastic too. I fueled up right before I saw you guys the other week. After we left you, we ran around for another five hours or so. The next time we were up there, we ran the boat hard for six hours – start, stop, turning, pulling tubes. I filled the tank on Saturday, and it took 11 gallons. Running, playing, working the boat on a gallon per hour is crazy good, and it makes me know that over a Saturday/Sunday outing trip, it would be VERY difficult to run that 31 gallon tank out of gas

It's also got a Yamaha fuel management gauge that tells you GPH and MPG. I ran it about 6 hours in testing and didn't really believe what it was telling me, until Rogerdog refueled the tank.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

I've heard the F90 is a stingy on fuel motor but the fact is it takes about 10 gallons of fuel per hour to make 100hp per hour. That works on gasoline engines mounted on boats, airplanes and automobiles. So lets go with 9 on a F90 for planning purposes to plug in the program for a TX18. This boat is designed to cover lots of water running around inshore baysystems on the Texas Coast.

One thing T and I have talked about doing is running from our place on the East end of East Matagorda Bay over to the West end of West Matagorda Bay. In our GF18 that would take about half a day to make that run and we would have to donate our knees, hips and boys to science. Driving the boat home would be out of the question because we would be in the Hospital.

The TX 18 should shine at doing that run and do it faster. But it's going to take something like 4 to 5 hrs of fuel for the trip, a reserve of 1 hr and fuel for side trips. 8 hrs at 70hp is 56 gallons of fuel so this is where I come up with adding 40 gallons, that puts the total at 54 which puts us close, still a reserve and we could cut it short if needed.

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

adding 30 or 40 gallons sounds like a lot. I have a 24' Zodiac RIB with a 65 gallon tank and 250hp OB and I get about 3MPG. I usually get 3 or 4 days of diving out of a tank. I have a 19 gallon bladder tank if I feel the need for more.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Good to hear from you again prairiedog :!:

You could tie in a second tank compartment in front of the first tank, making a coffin box :?: Although I am not sure how well that would fit on an 18' boat though. More food for thought than anything.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Prarie Dog wrote:I've heard the F90 is a stingy on fuel motor but the fact is it takes about 10 gallons of fuel per hour to make 100hp per hour. That works on gasoline engines mounted on boats, airplanes and automobiles. So lets go with 9 on a F90 for planning purposes to plug in the program for a TX18. This boat is designed to cover lots of water running around inshore baysystems on the Texas Coast.

One thing T and I have talked about doing is running from our place on the East end of East Matagorda Bay over to the West end of West Matagorda Bay. In our GF18 that would take about half a day to make that run and we would have to donate our knees, hips and boys to science. Driving the boat home would be out of the question because we would be in the Hospital.

The TX 18 should shine at doing that run and do it faster. But it's going to take something like 4 to 5 hrs of fuel for the trip, a reserve of 1 hr and fuel for side trips. 8 hrs at 70hp is 56 gallons of fuel so this is where I come up with adding 40 gallons, that puts the total at 54 which puts us close, still a reserve and we could cut it short if needed.
Paul what is the distance you are looking at and how fast are you looking to go? Your formula is good at wide open throttle but how often do you run at that. Running at cruising speed 4-5000rpm you will get 4-5mpg. Once we know the distance CL, I and others can better advise you on how many gallons you should be looking at.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

When you look at fuel consumption, you must consider how HP is used, not the nominal engine HP.
You may have a 90 HP engine but use 35 HP at cruise. You burn the fuel needed to produce 35 HP, not 90.
18 gallons should give you a good range but if you want additional fuel, put it under the seat in front of the console.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

8 hrs at 70hp is 56 gallons of fuel so this is where I come up with adding 40 gallons,
My OD18 with a 70 hp 2 stroke Yamaha will run 8 hours at cruising speeds on 20 gallons or less. It averages about 6-7 mpg.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Newt »

You can always go over to Matagorda Harbor and top off. :D

http://matagordaharbor.com/

Newt
ALLIGATOR LAKE