panga 22 build hull assembly

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: panga 22 build hull assembly

Post by terrulian »

Larry's the expert, but I wasn't able to achieve an acceptable result on the exterior with anything but the longboard and a helping of elbow grease. Using other methods like the multitool, RO, sandpaper around a dowel, and about ten other approaches for numberless hours on the inside was unavoidable because of the small areas interrupted by frames, seats, and other fittings. Outside looks pretty good; inside is fine from any point of view except mine.
For a "glass-like finish" I'm afraid you will have to have access to a spray booth. You will note that no one has their car painted with a brush and roller. Larry and others have reported success with LPU, which I chose not to use because of the expense. The only experience I've had with applying that was by rolling and tipping and the result, while nice looking, was not "glass-like." But I'm no pro.
Tony

tomcop1990
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tomcop1990 »

Hahah ok cheers guy appreciate the advise , also when you say high build primer is automotive acceptable ?

tomcop1990
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tomcop1990 »

Would polyester body filler be ok to use to smoothen the surface

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Definitely no on the polyester body fill. My understanding is that polyester won't bond well to epoxy. (epoxy will bond to polyester resin, but not the other way around).

Either buy the Quik fair filler, or search the forum for epoxy fairing recipes. I thought it would be a pain to mix my own filler, so ended up buying WAY more quik fair than I should have. In hindsight, all I did was turn hard earned money into hard earned dust :oops:

From now on, I will make my own epoxy filler until the "touch up" stage of fairing. Then one or two rounds of quik fair.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Polyester based autobody filler will not bond well to epoxy.
All epoxy based primers will work, most of the other may work.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

Looks like we're at the same stage! There is definitely a learning curve along the way. The Malolo Panga 22 thread helped me a great deal.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=180

The journey is as fun as the destination, enjoy the ride!