OD 18 Trolling Motor?

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

OD 18 Trolling Motor?

Post by cottontop »

Got to replace my trolling motor on my OD 18. CL what size trolling motor do you have on your OD 18. My boat probably weighs about the same as yours. I currently have a 12volt Minn Kota. I'm looking at a other 12v/ 55lb thrust motor, but also looking at a 24 volt 70lb thrust. Both of them are Minn Kota motors. Looking for imput from other OD builders too. Thanks, John

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OD 18 Trolling Motor?

Post by BarraMan »

I have a 55 lb/12V Minn Kota on my 12' tinnie. I would have thought that is a bit limited in power for an 18' boat so a 80lb/24V unit would be the go.

I am upgrading to a 112 lb/32V unit for my 22' BIG boat!

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cali123 »

Go for the 24 volt motor ,you won't be sorry. I have the 24v,80 lb. thrust on my XF 20. Plenty of power to spare.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

John, I don't have one on my OD18. We put a 24V Minn kota 80 lb on the GF18 and it is a beast! The I-pilot feature is amazing 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

John my friend up here has a 24 volt Minnkota with the I-pilot feature on his 21' bass boat. It keeps us over a school of fish nice and easy, whether they are bass, walleye, trout or catfish.

I don't know if you need the 80 how well did the 55 hold your OD in place before, Minnkota also has the 55 available with the I-pilot feature.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Thanks everybody for your imput. The 55 has been barely doing the job, but it is time to move on. I will up grade to the 70 that I was wavering on before. Tom, it has been real good to have you back on here. You really are very helpful to many of us builders. Your knowledge of motors and props is invaluable. The 55 thrust with a 48 inch shaft will be for sale very reasonably if anybody thinks they may like it. Just make an offer. It is 10 yrs. old and only has about 25 hours on it. John :D

Steven

Post by Steven »

I've got the 70 ipilot on the OB 19 and it works very well. Holds the boat in a strong wind
surprisingly well.

cape man

Post by cape man »

I have the 55 lb on my OD18 and wish it was bigger, especially if there's any wind.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman