GV11. And so it begins...

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Heimfried
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GV11. And so it begins...

Post by Heimfried »

Be carefull with that plywood. The shown stamp did I see a few days ago in a discussion about plywood of inferior quality, which not at all meets the BS1088 Standard.

I don't know anything about this ply myself, but may be it is better to check the quality before you put lots and lots of working hours in it.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... nd-plywood

Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mhopper »

Not sure about durability yet. Only time will tell... But it sure looks good and cuts good!

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

It's good.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mhopper »

Image. Missed by an inch.. Oh well. Most of it will be covered by rub rail. I'm gonna fill and patch it and move on...a monument to my stupidity. I'm glad I noticed when I did. Could have been much worse. Should I hack the other side too so it will be symmetrical? LoL

Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mhopper »

All 4 mm cut!

Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mhopper »

So I told my 9 year old that I was going to make a lid for the boat we are building. That way
When I die you can just put me in the boat and shut the lid. You will not have to pay for a coffin.
His response..."you're not taking MY boat with you!" It's still just a pile of wood and he
Is already laying claim to it.

Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mhopper »

Motor purchased!!!!! I picked up a long shaft Mercury mariner 1993 15hp for 340$. It has a brand new carb, new plugs and wires and looks brand new. It fired up on the first pull without even choking it. It only weighs 71 pounds. So I know I'm gonna have to beef up the transom knees and matt/glass the hull. Should I matt/glass the interior also? Image

Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mhopper »

Parts pile is getting thicker!

grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by grundasaurus »

Hi, as a fellow GV11 builder, for bracing I would suggest making the transom knees the length from the side of the boat to the motor mounting bracket and something like 6-8 inches long. They really stiffen up the transom and can be used as rod holders/ cup holders as well. As for internal fibreglass I have a full epoxy coat and two layers of 6 and sometimes 8oz tape overlapped over the seams. I don't think you should worry about inside matting, but I would suggest covering the hull with glass for abrasion resistance and a bit more strength.
GV11, several rowboats, P19 in progress

Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mhopper »

Thanks for your reply! I already have a plan to beef up the transom knees. I was worrying about the flex of the bottom at speed. I will layer it up.. Not a lot of chop on the lakes I am on. But in the summer the water levels sometimes get dangerously low. So that will help with the issue of barely submerged islands and sandbars as well! Thanks again.