GV11. And so it begins...

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GV11. And so it begins...

Post by Steven »

A layer of 6" cloth on the bottom is sufficient. I run a 15 hp 4 storke that's 126# on mine and that's what the designer recommended. Here's how I did my transom knees. Be sure to glass all the intersecting joints. I didn't glass the inner 1x2 at the ends where it meets the sides and the inner frame and had some cosmetic cracking in the fairing. Was an easy fix, but unnecessary if done right the first time.

Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mhopper »

I like the look of that! I have a small piece of 1" exterior from the early 1970's that I am thinking about using for the transom knees. My motor is extremely light for a 15 hp. Even though, it can still do some damaged to the transom while being trailered. The guy I bought the motor from had broken transome Knees from towing his boat on bumpy roads. It looked like someone had taken a saw and cleanly sliced right through the knee. And that was on an aluminum boat!

Steven

Post by Steven »

Use a transom brace when trailering and you won't hurt the transom.

Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mhopper »

Two pictures here. The first is a complete unassembled gv11. All that from four sheets! The second picture is all that is left from four sheets. Talk about efficiency!

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Don't throw it away.

I couldn't have done what you've done because some of the parts, like the seats, couldn't be cut until I had the hull built to measure from. Otherwise I'm sure they wouldn't have fit. :roll:
Tony

Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mhopper »

I never throw things away! For what that wood costs I might even sweep up the saw dust! :D

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

We spend a lot of time on the nesting drawing! :D
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mhopper »

I'm getting pretty self conscious about posting pics on here. I see the INCREDIBLE work that you guys post and it fosters a real inferiority complex. There are some beautiful boats on here! Anyway, finally some good weather here. So here is a little more progress. Image

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

If it makes you feel any better you are not the only one who feels like their work is not in the same class.
I am almost to the point of saying "work boat is good enough". Not quite there yet but getting close :lol:
Fuzz

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'm pretty sure my build, once started, will make you all feel better. I'm expecting gnats and sand in the paint. A fairing that makes a wadded up plastic bag seem smooth, and a tape job that looks like a toddler got into the toilet paper. I'm building a boat that I only expect to last 2 years so there isn't much point in killing myself on the details. Second build... yes. But until then... GET ME IN THE WATER!

:)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.