FS14 In French Polynesia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS14 In French Polynesia

Post by Mhopper »

Thanks for the update and pictures! I am enjoying following you!

RCC-SKIFFS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RCC-SKIFFS »

Boat building in paradise.. must be nice 8) If it turns out half as beautiful as that water then it's a winner. can't wait to see it finished.

Aurator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Aurator »

My work benches.

Trying to pick out the two straightest ones for the strongback. I had purchased some extra 2x4's because I thought I was going to have to build my own tables.

All of my clamps in use at the same time!!
Putting it all together.

jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jorgepease »

looking good, what a pleasure to build right next to the water, just think how easy it will be to check your water line and launch ))

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'd get nothing done. Absolutely nothing. I'd pick up a tool, glimpse that blue, and then ... nothing.

I'm very interested in seeing how you manage with only 2 clamps. I expect to learn something I can use.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Looking good! It must be nice to live in two different types of paradise... 8)
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I was too busy looking at the pictures to notice where you call home until Noles said something. Nice to see another Alaskan on the site. There must be 5-6 of us by now, maybe more. I am pretty sure you want to take your time building the boat, weather is not really so nice back home for you now :lol:
Fuzz

Aurator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Aurator »

jorgepease wrote:looking good, what a pleasure to build right next to the water, just think how easy it will be to check your water line and launch ))
The other nice thing is since the water is so warm I just jump in and wash off the dust when I need to. :D The downside is that when there is a very high tide and the wind is NNW my shop floods, so no wood or tools get left on the floor. It does wash away the sawdust though.
Noles309 wrote:Looking good! It must be nice to live in two different types of paradise... 8)
It is indeed! I spend two or three months in New Zealand every year too. :D Thinking about building a boat for there as well.
Fuzz wrote:I was too busy looking at the pictures to notice where you call home until Noles said something. Nice to see another Alaskan on the site. There must be 5-6 of us by now, maybe more. I am pretty sure you want to take your time building the boat, weather is not really so nice back home for you now :lol:
Fuzz
I don't get down your way much but if I do I would love to see your boat.
Jaysen wrote:I'd get nothing done. Absolutely nothing. I'd pick up a tool, glimpse that blue, and then ... nothing.

I'm very interested in seeing how you manage with only 2 clamps. I expect to learn something I can use.
Another view from the shop for Jaysen.

Aurator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Aurator »

I put the bottom panels on and hung the sides on. I played with the alignment until I ran out of zip ties after tightening and cutting them off several times. I think it would have been smarter to bring wire to tie the panels together, although I still might be there fussing with getting the perfect alignment. Anyway I pulled out the last zip tie from the package and chanting "gaps are good" tightened it up and was done.

Two questions for the forum members.
First, does any builder, ever, walk away from the boat without stopping and looking back one more time?
Second, what is going on when I am building this boat and starting to think about what to do different "on the NEXT one"??????

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I also cant step away without looking at my boat even if I only did a little thing like right now attaching the cleats onto which I will glue the sole. I envy you about the warm and beautiful place where you build your boat. Here in Austria Winter is just around the corner and I bought a gas stove for my building shed where I can warm up the room rather quick. My fixed coal stove in there is nice and also warms the room but I spend just as much time putting coal into it as I spend building the boat thats why I am taking already 2 years. I will follow your thread everyday just to learn how one can build a boat in 2 months.
Thinking about building the next boat ( PX14 ) I hope I will work more efficient because my intention is not to think every step over ten times before I do it.
Good luck with your build and not to many high tides with NNW winds.
Greetings from Karl ( foggy cold Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433