FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS17 Build

Post by Parkrat »

I decided to restitch everything after I got the transom back on. I'm pretty sure I'm ready to start tacking it together. I'm going to start running tape on the underside of the seams like willg suggested. If you guys see something amiss let me know. :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Parkrat, looks good from here!! Jeff

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Thanks Jeff!

I decided to loosen the zip ties a little on the bow. Once I did the seams looked a lot better as far as fairness. The gap is a little wider, but the ez fillet filled it in nicely. It's tacked together. :D I'm going to give it a couple days and cut the zip ties. The Silvertip EZ Fillet is really nice to work with. Easy to mix and doesn't sag at all. I used some plastic spoons to measure it out. Probably not exact, but it worked well. I felt them this morning and they were already nice and hard. Sanding should be fun... I could have been a lot better about removing the excess. Lesson learned.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Also, I'm really glad I ran the blue tape along the seams underneath like Willg suggested. Not one drop on my garage floor. :lol:

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Parkrat wrote:Also, I'm really glad I ran the blue tape along the seams underneath like Willg suggested. Not one drop on my garage floor. :lol:
boat is looking really good! If it was me I would go ahead a put some plastic down on that floor. Sooner or later you are going to
drip on that floor and then the fun starts :lol: Ask me how I know :wink:

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Looking good!

I know what you mean about cleaning up the excess. If I do a quick fillet and don't clean up and smooth it right away, I always pay with more time sanding later. Sanding is my least favorite part of boatbuilding.

I'm following your build with a lot of interest. My next project will be the FS 19. Building it for my brother. I hope to start it as soon as I'm done with the canoe project.

Keep it up!

topwater

Post by topwater »

Looks good and don't worry about the neatness , you are going to have to round over all the seams for the glass tape
and a RO sander with 60 grit will make short work of that.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Browndog, I'll post a lot of pictures for you if you're thinking of building the FS19. Hopefully, I can really get after it now that it's winter.

I'll pick up some 60 grit. Got plenty of 80.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Parkrat wrote:I could have been a lot better about removing the excess. Lesson learned.
Yep, you'll have some extra work removing the excess. Next time try just using small dabs - it's amazing how strong that stuff is. Dabs are cheaper than globs, too. Your boat looks great. Congratulations!

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

It's been in the 30s here so I finally cut the zip ties and finished with the seams. Sanding here I come.. 8O