FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS 17 Build

Post by Parkrat »

Gramps, It's been pretty nasty here for the last few days. Started Thanksgiving around 2pm and it's been hard/steady rain since then. We do need the rain so I'm not going to complain. It finally stopped in the middle of the night last night. I had to work during most of it (16 hour days) so I didn't waste any nice days. :lol:

I got the heater in the garage right now. Should be perfect in there in about an hour.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Rebuilt the strongback and put all the frames back up. Everything is lined up and square again.

I put my stringers together with a fiber glass splice on one side. First time ever doing fiberglass. A little nervous, but I survived. :lol: I guess you really aren't supposed to brush the biaxial? Brushing seemed to make it want to come apart. Dabbing it worked better. Tomorrow I'll flip and do the other side.

If you guys see something askew let me know! Thanks

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by remedy32 »

Don't remember having to splice individual stringer layers with fg as they will be glued up into a 2 layer lamination with staggered joints. Key issue for me was maintaining straight line on the side of stringer with no camber during that process. Remember the stringer gets a lot of glass when finally laminated into the hull bottom.

Bill

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

remedy32 wrote:Don't remember having to splice individual stringer layers with fg as they will be glued up into a 2 layer lamination with staggered joints.
Bill
Correct, the seams are offset as shown on the nesting drawing.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

remedy32

Post by remedy32 »

Thanks Jacques, that's what I thought. I'll add that with that splice it may be hard to get these lined up to laminate. I'd sand/grind it off if it gets in the way at all. Key issue is to get the straight side lined up straight from end to end.

Bill

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Thanks guys. I just thought all long pieces got FG splice, but makes sense only the panels. I guess that why it says "long panels get FG splice" :D

The seams are offset and the FG splices that I've done will be on the outside once the pieces are glued together. I don't think it will be a problem. That was just dumb luck. If it presents a problem I'll grind them off.

I lined the pieces up using a really long level before putting the FG splice. They are straight. Before that I put them together and made sure they matched.

Looks liked I wasted some FG!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It's not a problem, it adds very little weight.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Thanks Jacquesmm.

If anything I got some FG practice. :lol:

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Did a little work today. Mounted the bow mold and cut the transom. I used a red solo cup for the curves in the transom. I think they produced a nice curve. Laid the stringers in place just to see what it would look like and measured again. Still square for now! I'm going to try and draw the panels out tomorrow.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I don't think that transom is mounted correctly- bottom of transom should line up with bottom of stringers. Looking good, though, nice and neat work.
Hank