ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Fuzz »

Make sure you do NOT install it perfectly straight. You need at least a little angle so the bearings move and keep from freezing in place.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Fuzz wrote:Make sure you do NOT install it perfectly straight. You need at least a little angle so the bearings move and keep from freezing in place.
Aquadrive specify a change of angle of at least one degree to facilitate self lubrication of the CV joints. To achieve this, I'll need to raise the engine about 3/4" above where it would have been for a dead straight shaft line. The aluminium angle engine beds are already in place for a dead straight setup, so I'll place 3/4" thick hardwood spacers between them and the engine mounts. As Cape Man would say, 'it's just a thing', and a very small one at that. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

topwater

Post by topwater »

Love this boat , build on :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

topwater wrote:Love this boat , build on :!:
Thanks for following the build Topwater. :D

Today I collected the 16 lithium battery cells which will form the 48V 100 Ah battery bank for the electric motor subsystem of the diesel-electric parallel hybrid drive system. Grouped together the 16 cells are 16" deep, 21" wide and 8 1/2" high. Tomorrow I'll start building the starboard and port side battery bank container boxes, each containing 8 cells. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

topwater

Post by topwater »

I don't think i want to know what those batteries cost 8O
Novi 23 finally launched !

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

topwater wrote:I don't think i want to know what those batteries cost 8O
And I don't think I want to tell. :lol:

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

This has been a great build to follow. Certainly it is one of the most technically interesting builds and ambitiously different as well. You've done a lot in a year. Congratulations and best wishes in the New Year for continued boat building success!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Totally unique hull design, inboard shaft and rudder, diesel power, and electric alternate power :!: Yep everything Browndog said and then some. Like a lot of other folks I check this thread every day. Sometimes before I go to bed and then again with my morning coffee :D

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Fuzz wrote:Totally unique hull design, inboard shaft and rudder, diesel power, and electric alternate power :!: Yep everything Browndog said and then some. Like a lot of other folks I check this thread every day. Sometimes before I go to bed and then again with my morning coffee :D
Yeah, that says it for me.

Dougster

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Every time I turn around you throw a new one at us. Those batteries should provide you plenty of secondary power. Can't wait to see you finish this boat it is such a beautiful contrast in old and new.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978