ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Fuzz »

Am I correct in thinking the majority of the countries population lives on the south-eastern coast?

Thanks for the link Jaysen, makes it much easier for some of us :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Weighed anchor at Big Sandhill, Moreton Island, at first light, and passaged approx. 40 nautical miles northwards, zig-zagging through shoal banks, to Mooloolaba, see pic below. To anchor in Mooloolalba, you've got to proceed upstream away. Now awaiting favourable tidal and sea state conditions to passage the approx. 20 nautical miles northward to cross the bar into Great Sandy's home port of Noosa, in coming days.

Thanks Fuzz and Jaysen. And yes Fuzz, the majority of us Aussies live on the SE coastline of Australia. .

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Thanks Fuzz and Jaysen. And yes Fuzz, the majority of us Aussies live on the SE coastline of Australia.
.... and some of us live on the NE coast of Australia! :D

I may be in your part of the world mid-next week Michael. Hope to get to Gympie to look at a new boat trailer. If so I'll give you a ring to see if we can catch up for coffee and maybe a quick look at Skinnydip.

Cheers

Lee

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz, Here is Mooloolalba

If it make anyone feel better, the minute I see a post by GB or Barraman I open maps just to see where they are talking about.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen, how goes your sailing journey?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

BarraMan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:10 am
Thanks Fuzz and Jaysen. And yes Fuzz, the majority of us Aussies live on the SE coastline of Australia.
.... and some of us live on the NE coast of Australia! :D
....and a couple of us live on the N coast! :lol:

Definitely love the part of the country you have just sailed Michael, I could live in Yamba, great surf there too.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

BarraMan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:10 am I may be in your part of the world mid-next week Michael. Hope to get to Gympie to look at a new boat trailer. If so I'll give you a ring to see if we can catch up for coffee and maybe a quick look at Skinnydip. Cheers, Lee
It's looking like a Monday or Tuesday Noosa bar crossing , then moving from boat to home the following day. So if it works for you Lee, Thursday or Friday should be a safe bet for a coffee and Skinnydip Captain Cook.
justin_dwyer wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:18 am Definitely love the part of the country you have just sailed Michael, I could live in Yamba, great surf there too.
Yep Justin, if housing affordability, quality of lifestyle, gentle year round climate, sailing, fishing, and surfing are important to you, Yamba-Iluka is a hard to beat hidden treasure.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

OK Michael, we’ll see how the stars align. I have to get the big Yamaha serviced and go shopping for ma new trailer next week, and I am starting to feel the post Xmas/New Year northwards tug.

We took the car ferry across for my first on-the-ground visit to Nth Stradbroke today (I used to fly over it regularly when flying training out of Archerfield 44 years ago). The number of boats anchored in Horseshoe Bay on Peel Is was a surprise to me. I’ve only ever been anchored there once, 49 years ago, and we were the only boat there.

The most interesting thing I learned today was that up until the late 19th century ther was only Stradbroke Is. The passage that created Nth Stradbroke and Sth Stradbroke came about then as a result of storm activity, and perhaps the instability created in the sand by the detonation of dynamite from a shipwreck at the site of what is now known as Jumpinpin!

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Ten minutes to go, so happy new year all!

My news year's resolution is to finish building a certain boat. :D

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Happy New Year Michael! :D
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146