ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:30 pm my gut and lunch?
Jason, how come a South Carolina boy knows pommie ryming slang? Have you lived somewhere civilised sometime? :wink:
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I can not confirm that at some point there may have been an attempt to beat the hillbilly out of me.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:41 pm I would start totally over with the electrically motor. The electrical motor has a lot of thrust that will pull against the shaft. If the pulleys are not lined up perfectly and have a anti-thrust bearing in place it will not work with the diesel shaft. The thrust of the electrical motor is just to much. It overwhelms the shaft line up.
Tom, on re-reading my recent posts, I realise that I have not responded the above. Apologies.

The pic below, taken some time ago, shows the Aquadrive thrust bearing assembly bolted to the hull. The prop shaft runs from it aft (to the right in the pic). Not pictured is a shaft tube with a CV joint at each end which runs forward (left) from the Aquadrive assembly to the trannie. The Aquadrive is there is to isolate the e-drive belt and pulleys from the diesel engine, to avoid the problem you've raised.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

I'm now re-doing the detailed sealing of the end grain of the marine ply of the aft deck cut out for the inspection plate, and the plate itself. Previously I had unsuccessfully attempted to glass tape a quarter round bevel on the 1/4" ply, but the radius proved too tight. So I cut off the bevels, and using temporary plastic covered forms, have applied a thickened epoxy section 1/4" x 1/4" or wider to all the edges. I've done so in a way that the gap between the deck opening and the inspection hatch is approximately 1/16".

The pic below shows progress to date. Further thickened epoxy filling and fairing is required to bring the gap edges up flush with the deck and panel. The holding down screws and washers are temporary. It's hard o see the 1/16" gap, but the screws are centred on it. :wink:

A teak cover strip will conceal the whole joint, and will visually read as an extension of the teak cockpit coaming.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That seems ridiculously well thought out.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:19 am That seems ridiculously well thought out.
Everything on this boat seems ridiculously well thought out.
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Christer wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:28 am
Jaysen wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:19 am That seems ridiculously well thought out.
Everything on this boat seems ridiculously well thought out.
You guys are both correct. And that is what makes the current problem so vexing.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jaysen, Christer and Fuzz, and Christer, welcome to the build thread. :D

This morning I filled low spots on the inspection plate and surrounding deck with thickened epoxy, and late this afternoon faired it back. It's going to take one more filling and fairing cycle.

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

GB,

I have been following your build and like others am very impressed. Hopefully you get the drive issue figured out.

Regarding a sealant for your new access covers, have you given any thought to using plumber's putty? I believe that it is worth considering and investigating. It's cheap, but effective.
://www.amazon.com/Oatey-31166-Plumbers-Put ... bers+putty

I too have been a member for a long time but life got in the way of boats for me. I was shocked to log on a couple of months ago to learn Larry is no longer with us. While I never had the pleasure of shaking his hand, sharing a boat or a bottle with him he was one of the few who offered a helping hand and even his home when a hurricane blew through our area while I was building boat. I mean who does that?!?

Keep plugging away at what you can and it will float when it's all sorted out.

Tim

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Tim. Nice to get a visit from one of the original forumites (of 48 years standing?). Yours must have been one of the first GF 16s built? And yes, good old fashioned plumber's putty is a serious contender. :D

The electrical engineer has promised to come tomorrow, so I've removed the inspection plate, but left the surrounding deck screwed in position. I want to see if he can do his thing with it in place, or if I need to remove it.