ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Jaysen »

That's a work boat that doesn't look like a work boat but really looks like a boat ready for work. That's one hell of a build GB. One hell of a build.

now we need to get the edrive mess figured out.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks pee wee, Jeff and Jaysen. :D

After four years of start-stop-what-now Skinnydip building, and not yet finished ....... today she beguiled me into to the little known and seriously shoal southern most branch of the lower Noosa River estuary - Weyba Creek.

Not for build testing and refinement purposes, which will occur in good time.

Purely, utterly, and simply for private and pleasurable contemplation.

A hugely rewarding and satisfying day. :D :D :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Good for you. Lonely places work!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Beautiful.

That creek
The work you’ve done on SkinnyD
The work you’re doing on the river

Well deserved moment of peace.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Fully agree with Jaysen!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:42 am Good for you. Lonely places work!
They sure do. :D
Jaysen wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:11 am Beautiful.

That creek
The work you’ve done on SkinnyD
The work you’re doing on the river

Well deserved moment of peace.
Thanks Jaysen, then Jeff! :D

Yesterday was another delightful one poking around in backwaters and gunk holes. Today I decided to indulge in some WOT stuff, to see if the diesel engine is starting to run in and run a little more freely.

Just when I thought things were looking good, a coolant hose let go and spewed coolant over the engine. A loose hose clamp I thought, tightened it, topped up the coolant, WOTed her again, and all too soon the hose blew off again. Double clamped it, topped up the coolant again, WOTed it again, and it blew again. :help:

Tightened up the clamps again, topped up the coolant again, and successfully motored back to the anchorage at half throttle.

The problem hose is in the top right hand corner of the pic below. It runs from the heat exchanger to the left, and the flat cylindrical what? to the right. I'll call the engine builder after the weekend.

In the meantime, any explanations or suggestions?

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

topwater

Post by topwater »

Looks like you have a pretty good bend in it , might be constricting water flow .
Novi 23 finally launched !

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

topwater wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:24 am Looks like you have a pretty good bend in it , might be constricting water flow .
Thanks topwater.

I'm now wondering if Kubota manufactures a custom shaped hose for the tight geometry, or if there is standard off-the-shelf hose that's designed for tight curves without pinching.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

Is the hose the feed to or return from the heat exchanger?

When we marinise car engines for jet boats the thermostat normally goes on the coolant feed line to the heat exchanger. Is the cylindrical thing the thermostat housing?

Hard to diagnose without knowing flow direction and thermostat location but I would suggest checking the thermostat and the spring loaded cap on the heat exchanger (same as the radiator cap on a car). If either is not working properly it could cause overpressure in the system.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well... there’s a pump under the can (seek the pulley and belt to the right) with a hard line from the pump to can. I’m guessing that’s the t-stat can. I’m also suspect that the pump is just over pressurized the hose to the heat exchanger. IF this is true then:
1. Pump too big?
2. Hose diameter too small?
3. Heat exchanger clogged/too small?
4. Stick a limiter in to keep rpm low and just not worry about it?