ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Got Feather Pram's #3 planks shaped up this afternoon.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Good call on the clamps.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I love your feather pram already and cannot wait to see progress pictures. I have one question : Will you be using epoxy wood flour glue at the lap connections and where they meet transom and bow only and no epoxy coating on the 4 mm Okoume planks just oil ? It interests me because I built children beds for my new born twins grand children which I also treated with 3 coats of linseed oil over 6 weeks. The beds will never be in contact with water contrary to your feather pram. Do you trust the oil to keep the boats planks safe of water ingress ?
Happy building on the feather pram and
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

gonandkarl wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:52 am Hi,
I love your feather pram already and cannot wait to see progress pictures. I have one question : Will you be using epoxy wood flour glue at the lap connections and where they meet transom and bow only and no epoxy coating on the 4 mm Okoume planks just oil ? It interests me because I built children beds for my new born twins grand children which I also treated with 3 coats of linseed oil over 6 weeks. The beds will never be in contact with water contrary to your feather pram. Do you trust the oil to keep the boats planks safe of water ingress ?
Happy building on the feather pram and
Greetings from Karl
Thanks Karl.

Yes, I'm using epoxy glue to join the planks to each other and the transoms, as well as fixing in thwarts etc.

I'm leaning towards oiling, rather than epoxy coating followed by painting and/or varnishing, for protection and finish. Feather Pram will be stored under cover most of the time, so I'm confident regular oiling and touch-ups will protect her.

On small hand-crafted and clear-finished wooden boats, I prefer oiling's soft matt finish to varnish. However oiling hides few sins, whereas painting does, and varnishing can. This will end up dictating what finishes I choose. :D

Got the #4 plank patterns shaped this afternoon.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice GB!!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Step by step it is looking more boat like :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jeff and Fuzz. :D

Karl, in his Clinker Plywood Boat Building Manual, Iain Oughtred gives a recipe for a typical oil mixture of the kind used in Maine:

- 8 parts turpentine
- 8 parts boiled linseed oil
- 1 part pine tar
- 1 part Japan driers.

He goes on to observe:

"I saw an old (80+ years) canoe in Maine, that had been saturated with numberless coats of oil and turpentine. The wood looked so rich and fine, and was almost beginning to look translucent. Epoxy will never look like that, I thought".

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Starting to get serious. Shaped up a final 1/6" okume marine plywood bottom plank from the MDF pattern. Yet to use block plan to produce final fairly curved edges.

Plank would not take the bend along the bow transom, so had to flatten profile, which subtly threw out other measurements.

After shaving with the block plane here and there, all good.

Holes caused by transom pin down nails will be covered by overlapping #1 lapstrake planks

Ready for gluing after final tweaks tomorrow. :D

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Sitting here thinking of you lovingly caressing each plank until it is perfect put a smile on my face :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:53 am Sitting here thinking of you lovingly caressing each plank until it is perfect put a smile on my face :D
Trimming the 1/6" okume bottom plank with a sharp block plan sure put a smile on mine. :D

Looking forward to cutting and fine tuning the okume #1 planks this afternoon.